Has anyone broke their plateau by eating more??

Options

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Guys, if you weren't losing and/or maintaining at xxxx calories, then it is physically impossible to lose or maintain IF YOU INCREASE your calorie intake.

Here is what most likely happened: You hit your "plateau" because you consumed more calories than you thought you had.

I will reiterate this once again because we see so many threads on this. You CANNOT lose weight by adding more calories to an intake that wasn't losing to begin with.

Not to mention,, plateaus don't exist. They are a human made excuse for not eating at a deficit.

Ahhh WRONG there is a whole community out there that is eating more to weigh less...

Also, I find it sad that you even have the eat more 2 weigh less banner in your sig and you don't even know how the group operates. Please remove it.

Directly from the website:

Q: What is EM2WL?

A: Eating More 2 Weigh Less is about eating at a small caloric deficit to lose weight. We highly recommend lifting heavy weights with cardio training such as HIIT to increase fat burning (although it is not “required”). If you have been a low calorie dieter for an extended period of time, you may want to consider doing a full metabolism reset. This will allow the body to reset back to its normal metabolic set point, so a small deficit will once again start the weight loss process once the reset is complete.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What is almost certainly happening is your body is holding on to excess water weight and the scale isn't moving for a short period of time. You're impatient so you conclude "plateau!", you make changes to your diet, and when your body dumps that water weight it was holding on to (as it would have done regardless if you just gave it time and kept on with your normal routine), you conclude the changes caused the weight loss (rather than the caloric deficit you've been maintaining the past few weeks). It wasn't that you "broke the plateau" by eating more - that "plateau" would have broken regardless if you just gave it time.

When people say you should probably eat more than 1200 calories, they're saying that because you're more likely to be happier/less likely to be hungry and 1200 may lead to a more aggressive deficit than is advisable. They aren't saying eat more than 1200 because you will lose weight at a greater rate by eating more calories; if they are saying that, they're ignorant. That said, there's a lot to be said for a moderate deficit and a moderate amount of exercise, and just because an extremely aggressive deficit and lots of exercise generally leads to faster weight loss, that doesn't make it the best route to take.
  • Gotikatse
    Gotikatse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

you should read this article : http://perfectbodyrx.com/2010/11/09/leptin-manipulation-for-fat-loss/

Yes eating more is truly helpfull to break plateau.
    I eat about 1200/1400 cal/day (low carb ) but one day per week it's kind of "no limits" , I eat 2000 or even 2700....and it works very well.... thanks to the leptine :bigsmile:

your body should never get used to the same calories. If you eat 1200 cal EVERY DAYS it will adapt it self to this quantity and will burn less and less.....

If you eat a lot more one day it will sent this message : oh ok I'm not starving, there is no famine, no reasons for me to panik , let's keep burning the fat....

see what I mean ?

I'm sorry my english is a shame I hope you understand what I mean:bigsmile:
  • dmenchac
    Options
    What is almost certainly happening is your body is holding on to excess water weight and the scale isn't moving for a short period of time. You're impatient so you conclude "plateau!", you make changes to your diet, and when your body dumps that water weight it was holding on to (as it would have done regardless if you just gave it time and kept on with your normal routine), you conclude the changes caused the weight loss (rather than the caloric deficit you've been maintaining the past few weeks). It wasn't that you "broke the plateau" by eating more - that "plateau" would have broken regardless if you just gave it time.

When people say you should probably eat more than 1200 calories, they're saying that because you're more likely to be happier/less likely to be hungry and 1200 may lead to a more aggressive deficit than is advisable. They aren't saying eat more than 1200 because you will lose weight at a greater rate by eating more calories; if they are saying that, they're ignorant. That said, there's a lot to be said for a moderate deficit and a moderate amount of exercise, and just because an extremely aggressive deficit and lots of exercise generally leads to faster weight loss, that doesn't make it the best route to take.

Well said.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Hi,

you should read this article : http://perfectbodyrx.com/2010/11/09/leptin-manipulation-for-fat-loss/

I eat about 1200/1400 cal/day (low carb ) but one day per week it's kind of "no limits" , I eat 2000 or even 2700....and it works very well.... thanks to the leptine :bigsmile:

your body should never get used to the same calories. If you eat 1200 cal EVERY DAYS it will adapt it self to this quantity and will burn less and less.....

If you eat a lot more one day it will sent this message : oh ok I'm not starving, there is no famine, no reasons for me to panik , let's keep burning the fat....

see what I mean ?

Please advertise elsewhere.

Adaptive thermogenesis will not happen on a 1200 caloric intake. There is no need to "confuse" your body. You lost weight because you are at a deficit, not because you use a drug or you confused your body. Calories are not daily, they are weekly or monthly averages. You have done nothing to confuse your body.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi,

see what I mean ?

You really don't believe this do you???

I've been eating pretty much the same calories (with the odd weekend splurge) for the last 9 months...and I continue to lose weight.

There is no starvation mode...it's a myth
  • heatheremde
    heatheremde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    HEY! I just posted this:

"OMG it's working! I have been on MFP for 1 week today and have lost 1.6 pounds! This is after a 3 week stall on WW, feeling like I wasn't eating enough (I DID lose 15 pounds the first month and a half on WW). BUT I cancelled WW; It has been difficult telling myself eat more to lose weight this week, but it is working! I am amazed and obviously happy! Thanks friends :)"
  • Gotikatse
    Gotikatse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hum I do not take any drugs :wink:
    and it's not an advertisement , I just wanted to share some information about leptin

I eat 1200/1400 4 days a week and the 3 other it's like 1600/2000 to 2700...
    at the beginning it was always 1200 cal every day, and as soon as I started eating "too much" one day a week it helped me lose weight....

anyway no advertisement, no drugs I just wanted to share my experience....
    it's cold and agressiv here, I go back to the french section don't worry:grumble:
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Hum I do not take any drugs :wink:
    and it's not an advertisement , I just wanted to share some information about leptin

I eat 1200/1400 4 days a week and the 3 other it's like 1600/2000 to 2700...
    at the beginning it was always 1200 cal every day, and as soon as I started eating "too much" one day a week it helped me lose weight....

anyway no advertisement, no drugs I just wanted to share my experience....
    it's cold and agressiv here, I go back to the french section don't worry:grumble:

Having too much Leptin in your body can ultimately lead to death.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/150644-what-are-the-side-effects-of-leptin/
  • jessicameadsstephens
    jessicameadsstephens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It always amazes me that rather then people share what works for them, because everyone is different...People who have weight issues (otherwise why would you be here) all of a sudden are fitness experts....makes no sense to me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    It always amazes me that rather then people share what works for them, because everyone is different...People who have weight issues (otherwise why would you be here) all of a sudden are fitness experts....makes no sense to me.

I don't see anywhere that I personally have said I am a fitness expert...or an expert at anything for that matter...besides weight loss<>fitness....

ETA: neither has anyone else on this thread.

I just look at the math that I was taught in grade 2....

As well if you look at our tickers some of us have been quite successful and know for a fact that if you are not truely losing weigh at 1500 calories and you are accurate you aren't going to lose weight eating 1800 calories...this is where grade 2 math comes in...

To lose weight you have to be in a consistent calorie deficet...you can do that many many ways...but you can't be in a deficet eating a surplus...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I don't see anywhere that I personally have said I am a fitness expert...or an expert at anything for that matter...besides weight loss<>fitness....

As well if you look at our tickers some of us have been quite successful and know for a fact that if you are not truely losing weigh at 1500 calories and you are accurate you aren't going to lose weight eating 1800 calories...this is where grade 2 math comes in...

To lose weight you have to be in a consistent calorie deficet...you can do that many many ways...but you can't be in a deficet eating a surplus...

Okay... but you are making the assumption that 1500 calories is a reasonable deficit. 1500 calories is below my BMR, therefore, if someone like me is eating 1500 calories and NOT losing, it is because the deficit is too deep and hormones are coming into play.

I feel like you aren't telling all the sides of this story.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Lol I concur. I always offer advice if someone asks what worked for me, but I would never tell someone in an overbearing and authoritative manner that "THIS" is what you're doing wrong...because I have no certifications, license, or anything to do with fitness. I was just successful with losing weight myself. I think some people have good intentions, but it just comes off in a "matter-of-fact" way...

But to respond to the OP's question, I have broken my plateau by eating more.
    MFP suggested (40 lbs ago when I started, based on my personal info) I start at 1800 cal/day, then reduced to 1700, then 1650...

then I plateaued even though I was doing 4-5 hours of cardio per week. I switched to weight training and MFP upped my cal intake to 1930 cal/day. I escaped the plateau weeeeeee!

I don't think it hurts to play with different caloric intake amounts as long as it's not unhealthily low (or high) to see what works best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I went backwards and gained... a lot. It didn't work for me. Too bad, since I LOVE FOOD. I had to change up my workout, do it longer and eat healthier food. I kept my cals about the same.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    When I hit a plateau, I've broken it in 2 different ways.

The first, as you mentioned, is by increasing calories.

The Second is by having an absolutely nasty high-calorie fast food cheat meal.

*shrugs* It worked even if I had to eat things I normally avoid.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Okay... but you are making the assumption that 1500 calories is a reasonable deficit. 1500 calories is below my BMR, therefore, if someone like me is eating 1500 calories and NOT losing, it is because the deficit is too deep and hormones are coming into play.

1500 was just a number I picked...wow people..as for hormones taking an effect please...all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficet....if "hormones" aka starvation mode we wouldn't have anorexics or starving children in africa...
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did! I was not eating my exercise calories and my net was 800 to 900 a day. It worked wonders to begin with but then I hit that wall for 4 weeks! All that starving and not an ounce lost! I started to eat back my exercise calories and BAM! I dropped a few right away.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did break mine by not working out so hard. I ate the same but cut my workout time in half. Good luck!
  • pierremignon
    pierremignon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I plateaued for several weeks once, so I adjusted my weight loss goal from 2 pounds a week down to 1 pound. It seemed to do the trick.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

1500 was just a number I picked...wow people..as for hormones taking an effect please...all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficet....if "hormones" aka starvation mode we wouldn't have anorexics or starving children in africa...

Extreme deficits are far different than deep deficits. Sure, you can force through a cortisol-release by cutting calories even deeper, but most people experiencing a cortisol-release aren't legitimately trying to starve themselves either.

Oh, and my point was, that the OP wasn't suggesting eating above TDEE to lose weight. OP was suggesting that she reduced her calorie deficit, which is essentially the same point that you have made.

Hormones do all kinds of crazy things to the body that hinder weight loss, not just create the infamous "starvation mode" effect.