how to cope with Easter?

Replies

• jwhackers84
    jwhackers84 Posts: 43 Member
    No candy or chocolate bought specifically for me so that makes it easier. Whatever goodies my children offer from their easter baskets (they always offer) will be eaten in moderation. Other than that, I am making a bit of a smaller Easter dinner than usual. we usually have devilled eggs and spinach dip appetizers a nice spiral ham, my homemade mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn, carrots, biscuits and two or three desserts. This year I am just making the deviled eggs, ham, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, biscuits and one dessert. I'll have a bit of each, allow myself to go over my allotted calories for the day if I want to and not sweat it. It's a holiday and there's only a few holidays a year, so it's not going to erase the progress I have made!
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Treat it as a normal day :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Same as any other holiday, eat, enjoy, log it (or not), feel no guilt, go back to regular routine the next day.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    I plan to pre-plan my days and enjoy it in moderation. For example, an hour long hike will get you quite a few extra calories to play with and eating a small but protein packed breakfast and lunch will keep you full but save calories for a big dinner. Also keep portion sizes in mind when indulging - chocolate calories add up quick! And drink lots of water!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    I am a big chocolate addict. Easter will be hard, but it's just a day. I told the kiddos to keep their candy put away and discard their wrappers or it will be trashed.

When in doubt, I will just take a long hard look in the mirror. Naked.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    The Christian in me is just trying to get past the subject line of this thread.

What do you mean "How to cope with Easter?" You make it sound like it's something you have to put up with. It's supposed to be a celebration of life and rebirth (whether you're religious or not), accompanied with a feast of plenty. If you don't want to partake in that, then don't.

I, for one, will be eating everything and drinking everything.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    It's the first time I've seen my family since February, and it's my brothers and grandma's birthday this weekend, so I expect to go over on Saturday and Sunday. I'm ok with it. I won't be eating much chocolate though, I'd rather have other things!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    I simply treat Easter as any other day ... as long as you track the macros of what you eat and stay within your maintance you'll be fine
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Everything in moderation. I have sweets or chocolate once in a while, and just log it. I have more of a salty/savoury tooth.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I cope with Easter by spending time with my family that I rarely get to see every year. Quite frankly, food is the last thing on my mind aside from how delicious it is. I mean, c'mon, ham and chocolate? What more can I say. I make the best choices I can and have a few treats.

I don't know about you, but my habits during the 359 non-holiday days of the year influence my progress way more than the 6 food intensive holidays here in the US.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    I eat the dinner, I enjoy the candy, I move on. It's one day. This is your life, enjoy it.

c-easter-bunny.jpg
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    This is how I usually cope with Easter

tumblr_lopcl9XE5K1qc4j96.gif

BTW mmm_drop that picture was genius LOL
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    So, I don't know about where you are but in Australia, Easter is just a never ending supply of chocolate and big lunches and dinners.
    How are you going to cope with it? Are you going to log/or not? Or maybe go for a 10 mile run after lunch?

Any ideas would be great because I am totally freaking out about it right now :ohwell:
    isn't Easter just 1 day?
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    I cope with Easter by spending time with my family that I rarely get to see every year. Quite frankly, food is the last thing on my mind aside from how delicious it is. I mean, c'mon, ham and chocolate? What more can I say. I make the best choices I can and have a few treats.

I don't know about you, but my habits during the 359 non-holiday days of the year influence my progress way more than the 6 food intensive holidays here in the US.

This. Is. Awesome. :drinker:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Im cooking a family roast dinner for easter with all the trimmings and am happy to serve it up and wash up, but I wont be sitting down and eating any of it. A huge roast lamb dinner with yorkshire puddings, gravy, roast potatos, stuffing etc would be enough calories for a week, so I plan on preparing a salad in advance and taking mine into the garden to eat whilst family eat their dinner, this way I wont see anyone eating and can sit and enjoy the sun on my face. I wont be eating easter eggs either, I got fat eating this crap and now I look upon all of it as just poison/sugar. I dont feel im being denied anything I feel liberated from eating rubbish & chemicals. I compare it to how I felt when i stopped smoking, I didnt have a cigarette on special occasions. I dont need chocolate on special occasions either. When Im done with this diet I dont plan on eating chocolate, cakes, crisps anything ever again for the rest of my life. Ive lost weight and put it back on before telling myself I can eat what I like, the fact is I cant, the only way Im going to lose weight and stay slim is to log, lose weight and maintain for the rest of my life.
    wow this sounds really sad, aren't the holidays to enjoy your family?
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    I am lucky- my sister is allergic to dairy and is Celiac....so Easter is pretty ham, mashed potatoes (which I am not a huge fan of anyway), and lots of veggies and some junk. And wine.

But I plan to do bootcamp on Friday, and my regular gym routine on Saturday and Sunday, then head to her house
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    I've already tracked my day based on what I ate last year. My grandma makes AWESOME sugar cookies so I plan to indulge a bit there.. I gave up chocolate for Lent so I plan to induldge a bit there also, but I'd take the sugar cookies over the chocolate any day, so GIVE ME THE COOKIES :D

But really, we normally do a bigger lunch(dinner) at 130 ish and then supper is leftovers from lunch LOL. So HAM, HAM, and more HAM :D
    I'm excited for the foods!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Oh boy..it may be tough as I gotta do easter on saturday and sunday...so not real sure!
  • skygirll
    skygirll Posts: 32 Member
    I can't stop at just one candy! Lucky me, I'm allergic to half of the candy supply so I'm planning on only buying the sweets I can't eat. For Easter brunch I'll probably have a light salad for dinner to counter out the extras earlier in the day, but I'm not skipping it!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    The Christian in me is just trying to get past the subject line of this thread.

What do you mean "How to cope with Easter?" You make it sound like it's something you have to put up with. It's supposed to be a celebration of life and rebirth (whether you're religious or not), accompanied with a feast of plenty. If you don't want to partake in that, then don't.

I, for one, will be eating everything and drinking everything.

Fairly obvious in the context of a weight and fitness forum, that OP meant how to cope in terms of weight and fitness.