Do you work out if your tired?

Options

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You can always convince yourself that you're "tired." Unless you are severely sleep-deprived or sick, I can think of few activities that should exhaust you to the point of not being able to work out.

Do your warm-up. If, at that point, you legitimately feel that you are too tired to do your workout with proper form, modify your workout. Most people aren't anywhere near the level of exhaustion that would necessitate a total rest day. Expect more from yourself.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I get up very early to hit the gym in the morning before work, and when I feel that way, I ask myself this question...."when its done, will I be glad I did it and feel great, or wish I'd slept more instead?"

....probably 19 out of 20 times, the answer is to go workout! Sometimes its not my best workout, but in the end, I can at least be glad I did something!
  • MyDogsLoveMe
    MyDogsLoveMe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did it and felt great!!! Thank you. :laugh:
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I did it and felt great!!! Thank you. :laugh:

Awesome!!!

I never regret going...even on days when I just stand around and hold up the weights...lol! Some days you just don't feel it; but usually when you get there...you get right into the swing of things!
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you've worked out 6 days in a row and you're exhausted from factors other than fitness, by all means take a break.

Otherwise...keep on truckin'.

Glad you went through with the workout and feel better! One always feels better after working out! :flowerforyou:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I have to work out first thing in the mornings. Too easy to find reasons not to at the end of the day... Tired, hungry, busy, etc.

That being said, I probably would've skipped the workout in question and implemented a morning workout routine :smile:
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm a probation officer, full time student, and a mom. If I didn't work out when tired, it would never get done!

But seriously, I didn't want to at all last night but I knew I could not go to the gym tonight because my daughter has things and I have homework so I went. I feel like I half-assed my workout but I got it done and today, I'm happy I went.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I also fight fatigue from the minute I drag my tired *kitten* out of bed until I put my tired *kitten* back in bed, so I also always workout when I'm tired. I always feel better and even if I swim at night, I'm out like a light as soon as I hit the pillow. Wish it was different, would love to feel like a human instead of zombie all the time, but I've never regretted my workout.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It depends. Usually I will go and workout, because I find that once I'm there and doing it, I don't want to stop. But if I go home from work and I am literally physically and mentally drained (and yes, there is definitely a difference between being tired and being drained), then I will skip it. Or rest awhile and see if maybe I feel a little better later, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I don't use being tired as an excuse very often though, no more than once a week at absolute most (I work out 5-6 days a week). Good luck to you! :)
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been exhausted with my allergies killing me and decided not to go and I felt even worse. So the past few days I have been equally exhausted(allergies as well) and went anyways...It made a world of difference when I pushed through and worked out. I at least have more energy afterwards :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Have a strong black coffee beforehand. :D
  • HolaMonkey
    HolaMonkey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • AveryDior
    Options
    Some times a light work out gives me some energy, if I am feeling tired I just do a brisk 10 min walk and 10 min on the elliptical and that's enough for me to feel better! It's better than burning no cals sitting on the couch!

12269531.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids work a FT and a PT every day and i'm tired but i still make it happen. For things to change you have to change. For things to get better you have to get better. Make sense? I always feel MORE energy after a work out when I'm tired than when i'm pumped to work out. LOL :noway:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    hell yes.

i just try not to yawn between sets.

or i do this:

tumblr_inline_molqnpZNun1qz4rgp.gif
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yes

And walking your dogs is for your dogs, not for you.... if your tired or not they still need exercise for 2-3 hours per day.
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If I didn't workout when I was tired, I'd never work out.

yup
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I WASN'T tired...usually once I start working out, this magical thing called "endorphin's"...(Similar to unicorns) kick in. Then I just get hungry.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am tired right now! But even so I am going to go for a run and usually do even if I am tired. I feel better once I do.