SUGAR ADDICT about to go COLD TURKEY -Advice?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I mean, it is like smoking or being an alcoholic.... I have cold turkey'd my way out of drug addiction years ago on sheer willpower, yet I can't go a single night without crippling want of candy...? I need to do this, just to show myself I can ignore that voice.
    I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict. Even still, the combination of sugar and fat is a tasty one, and one that many people cannot control. If you must restrict yourself, I advise only to do it to a point where you can learn moderation. There are going to be many situations throughout your life where you will be faced with the decision of whether or not to eat the goods. I say eat the goods, but learn when to push the plate away.

"I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict."

Wow, really? Did you attend AA, NA, and/or OA and still never heard anyone testify to having this issue? I find that rather amazing. I went to OA for two years and I heard it all the time. Many people who quit one addiction move on to another one. With all due respect, you should educate yourself on addictions and addictive behaviors before doling out advice to addicts.

I'm noticing that many of you here really, REALLY don't understand what addiction is all about and though I'm sure you mean well, you're doing more harm than good. I highly recommend you start reading the OA literature and even attend a meeting or two so you can build some empathy and get the facts about addiction, instead of spreading misinformation.

To the OP, please consider attending OA, at least for awhile to get your bearings and to get some support. If you beat a drug addiction I'm sure you already know the incredible benefits and support you get at group! It's such a loving and welcoming community, and they can help you navigate the waters of overcoming this issue. You know yourself best and what you need, and if that's abstinence from sweets, then you know in your heart what you must do. Standing beside you and with you, and if you'd like to PM me to discuss my journey I'd be happy to talk with you. Blessings!

Oh you again...

In case you missed it in the rest of my posts, I feel I have been fair and even gracious in this thread.

I have never said there's no such thing as food addiction. Everyone will have a different opinion on it, but I do believe it can be a psychological problem. I never said otherwise. But this thread isn't about food addiction, is it? And how do you know

Words matter. In this case, the OP was seeking was to combat her need for sweets, or in her case, her trigger foods. The way she labelled it is what mostly got attacked, not her. Besides that, people are just trying to educate that their problem with food, sugar, tasty treats, etc., is not that that substance is addictive. It's a problem with themselves.

I see no problem in abstaining from trigger foods until you get them in control. I taught myself moderation by keeping cookies and m&ms out of the house until I gained control of myself. And now today, there's always m&ms in my cupboard, and cookies are a delight.

I'm sorry....was this a private thread between you and the OP? You thought I was interrupting or something?

Your words were: "I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict."

I responded by saying this is actually very common. You did not seem to know this. Because this was the "first person" you said you'd ever heard of. So now I'm telling you - it's very common. This isn't a matter of opinion. It's fact.

And foods that contain sugar are...um...foods...so yes - this is about food addiction. An addiction to a particular type of food. The OP even suggested it as such for herself. She's reaching out for help. You're not helping because you don't understand the real need.

Read my post again. I never claimed the OP was being attacked. I said *you* do not understand what addiction is and I am asking you to please educate yourself before continuing to give out advice to people who are addicts, who are struggling with real addictions, or just with addictive-type behaviors.

I realize that you see no problem in abstaining from trigger foods until you get them in control. I realize that you taught yourself moderation until you gained control of yourself. Good for you. This doesn't always work for addicts. Again - educate yourself. PLEASE.

Again. If you TRULY want to help these people, then the best way to do this is to start reading the OA literature. Get acquainted with personal stories by going to OA meetings. Go, and listen. Don't advise! Just listen. Hear the testimonies. Hear the solutions these people used to overcome. Many, MANY times - in fact, almost always - those solutions involve some form of abstinence. Abstinence is not necessarily the enemy. Maybe it wasn't right for YOU. But you're going to have to pull yourself out of your own experience and learn about the experiences of others, if you're truly going to *understand* others - or help them.

Have you ever heard CyberEd's story? He had food addiction. The OP does not.

Unfortunately, I made my edit while you were posting this, so I'll say it again: Yes, I have been to AA meetings. I do know what it's like to have addiction. But you assume that every person that doesn't agree with you has never had addiction, never studied it, and has zero empathy for those that do.

As for the bolded statement, it's clear you haven't read the whole thread. I gave genuine advice that the OP thanked me for. So there's that.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't your enemy. Or baked goods. Or chocolate.

A consistent caloric surplus is.

But-but-but.. these are the things that give me a consistent caloric surplus. They are very dense.

J/K I get what you're saying. I know you feel like everyone should be able to hold hands with their candy bars around the kumbaya fire..but its just not in the cards for some people. Some people really have to refrain from eating certain things at all, until they get to the point in their life where they can maybe re-introduce it in moderation. Sometimes they never can. Trust.. I envy your ability to "just have a little".
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I mean, it is like smoking or being an alcoholic.... I have cold turkey'd my way out of drug addiction years ago on sheer willpower, yet I can't go a single night without crippling want of candy...? I need to do this, just to show myself I can ignore that voice.
    I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict. Even still, the combination of sugar and fat is a tasty one, and one that many people cannot control. If you must restrict yourself, I advise only to do it to a point where you can learn moderation. There are going to be many situations throughout your life where you will be faced with the decision of whether or not to eat the goods. I say eat the goods, but learn when to push the plate away.

"I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict."

Wow, really? Did you attend AA, NA, and/or OA and still never heard anyone testify to having this issue? I find that rather amazing. I went to OA for two years and I heard it all the time. Many people who quit one addiction move on to another one. With all due respect, you should educate yourself on addictions and addictive behaviors before doling out advice to addicts.

I'm noticing that many of you here really, REALLY don't understand what addiction is all about and though I'm sure you mean well, you're doing more harm than good. I highly recommend you start reading the OA literature and even attend a meeting or two so you can build some empathy and get the facts about addiction, instead of spreading misinformation.

To the OP, please consider attending OA, at least for awhile to get your bearings and to get some support. If you beat a drug addiction I'm sure you already know the incredible benefits and support you get at group! It's such a loving and welcoming community, and they can help you navigate the waters of overcoming this issue. You know yourself best and what you need, and if that's abstinence from sweets, then you know in your heart what you must do. Standing beside you and with you, and if you'd like to PM me to discuss my journey I'd be happy to talk with you. Blessings!

Oh you again...

In case you missed it in the rest of my posts, I feel I have been fair and even gracious in this thread.

I have never said there's no such thing as food addiction. Everyone will have a different opinion on it, but I do believe it can be a psychological problem. I never said otherwise. But this thread isn't about food addiction, is it? And how do you know

Words matter. In this case, the OP was seeking was to combat her need for sweets, or in her case, her trigger foods. The way she labelled it is what mostly got attacked, not her. Besides that, people are just trying to educate that their problem with food, sugar, tasty treats, etc., is not that that substance is addictive. It's a problem with themselves.

I see no problem in abstaining from trigger foods until you get them in control. I taught myself moderation by keeping cookies and m&ms out of the house until I gained control of myself. And now today, there's always m&ms in my cupboard, and cookies are a delight.

I'm sorry....was this a private thread between you and the OP? You thought I was interrupting or something?

Your words were: "I must admit you're the first person I've ever heard of to battle drug addiction and call yourself a sugar addict."

I responded by saying this is actually very common. You did not seem to know this. Because this was the "first person" you said you'd ever heard of. So now I'm telling you - it's very common. This isn't a matter of opinion. It's fact.

And foods that contain sugar are...um...foods...so yes - this is about food addiction. An addiction to a particular type of food. The OP even suggested it as such for herself. She's reaching out for help. You're not helping because you don't understand the real need.

Read my post again. I never claimed the OP was being attacked. I said *you* do not understand what addiction is and I am asking you to please educate yourself before continuing to give out advice to people who are addicts, who are struggling with real addictions, or just with addictive-type behaviors.

I realize that you see no problem in abstaining from trigger foods until you get them in control. I realize that you taught yourself moderation until you gained control of yourself. Good for you. This doesn't always work for addicts. Again - educate yourself. PLEASE.

Again. If you TRULY want to help these people, then the best way to do this is to start reading the OA literature. Get acquainted with personal stories by going to OA meetings. Go, and listen. Don't advise! Just listen. Hear the testimonies. Hear the solutions these people used to overcome. Many, MANY times - in fact, almost always - those solutions involve some form of abstinence. Abstinence is not necessarily the enemy. Maybe it wasn't right for YOU. But you're going to have to pull yourself out of your own experience and learn about the experiences of others, if you're truly going to *understand* others - or help them.

I doubt that most of us are in a position to diagnose an addiction.
  • artzy1989
    artzy1989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Some one else might have said this. I wasn't going to read 6 pages.. call me lazy.

So my brother and sister in law just went through rehab. One of the things the counselors said to us (the family) that I thought was really interesting was that they do not allow candy in the rehab centers (at least not the ones they were at). They said it was because it is easy for recovering addicts to transfer one addiction and trade it for another i.e. sugar. I know my brother started exercising because he was gaining weight from binging when he was off center grounds and was trying to control cravings... what ever they were for.

Now I am not a psychiatrist or expert, that was just what I was told. My sister is also a recovering drug addict and she went to sugar as well as a substitute.

BTW. I think your journey is amazing.

edited to add: just saw the shenannigans above my post. I guess I am a broken record!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Oh you again...

Have you ever heard CyberEd's story? He had food addiction. The OP does not.

Unfortunately, I made my edit while you were posting this, so I'll say it again: Yes, I have been to AA meetings. I do know what it's like to have addiction. But you assume that every person that doesn't agree with you has never had addiction, never studied it, and has zero empathy for those that do.

As for the bolded statement, it's clear you haven't read the whole thread. I gave genuine advice that the OP thanked me for. So there's that.

I just read all 8 pages (to be fair) and I do see now that she thanked you for telling her to exercise. I apologize, she did receive that advice well, so thank you for that. (honestly)

That being said, I don't mean to be rude but I don't need to know "CyberEd's" story to know that the OP already knows she has a food addiction to sugary treats. I don't compare stories. I listen to this ONE person's story. She's trying to tell it. And people are not listening......

Frankly, I admit I find it rather disturbing that you make your own claim that the OP does not have a food addiction. What right have you to declare this for her, especially when she's trying to tell everyone, over and over and over that she knows she does (in this area of sugary treats), and knows what she needs to do?

This is especially shocking considering you're an alcoholic (I think that's what you're saying but please correct me if I'm wrong) and you're STILL advising her to "practice moderation" with a food she's already telling you she can't control herself with no matter how many years she's tried to do this and couldn't. With all due respect, why on earth would you do that? It's one of the cardinal rules of the Anonymous groups, to not tell someone whether or not they have an addiction to a particular substance or behavior, and especially not to tell them whether or not to moderate? I realize I may be missing something here - but help me understand if I am.

If someone has admitted to having addictions in alcohol, drugs, or any other substance or behavior, and then comes on one of these boards admitting that they're out of control with a food or food in general, the best thing to do is to listen, empathize, then advise them to get to a support group immediately (or remind them, as many have already been to groups).

If you must advise on what to do in the meantime, simply remind them that there are TWO possible courses of action: moderation and abstinence. You might even give a quick definition of both. Then you tell them that THEY know what's best for themselves, and that it's up to them, and then let go. To keep trying to drill moderation as the "best" course is not helpful, esp. when they're in the midst of being out of control. In out of control episodes, abstinence is almost always best for addicts - but of course that's up to them. In these cases, which admittedly are specific, abstinence needs to stop being vilified as "bad" or "wrong". It's the opposite, for many people. It's often exactly what they need.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    So my brother and sister in law just went through rehab. One of the things the counselors said to us (the family) that I thought was really interesting was that they do not allow candy in the rehab centers (at least not the ones they were at). They said it was because it is easy for recovering addicts to transfer one addiction and trade it for another i.e. sugar. I know my brother started exercising because he was gaining weight from binging when he was off center grounds and was trying to control cravings... what ever they were for.
    My sister is also a recovering drug addict and she went to sugar as well as a substitute.

Thank you.

I genuinely hope this thread will encourage more people to read more about addiction, why it happens, how it manifests (in all its forms), and what to do about it.

It is tremendously difficult for people to come out on these boards and admit this stuff. I hope we'll start trying to understand them better. They need it.
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is HARD but sometimes it's necessary. I was off sugar for about a year and now I find that when I eat it, I crave it. Xylitol is a good substitute for sugar; when I *really* need something chocolate (that once-a-month thing, you know what I mean), I make myself a "chocolate milkshake" with protein powder, almond milk, unsweetened cocoa (Ghiradelli -- the good stuff) and some xylitol.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i'll just leave this here

fc2a203349d5c907fe81864ae0b2bba1.jpg

for those of you saying: sugar is sugar is sugar. i've never binged on apples.

YES!

For the "never binged on apples" comment, read my prior posts about the combination of sugar and fat. Sugar IS sugar, and it's not the sugar you're craving. It's the highly palatable combination of sugar and fat.

I did read your post when you first wrote it. I agreed with this post quoted above simply because so many people can't get past the "No carbs? what?" and "everything in moderation" comments.... I feel they are missing the exact issue. You hit it right on the head!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Some one else might have said this. I wasn't going to read 6 pages.. call me lazy.

Now I am not a psychiatrist or expert, that was just what I was told. My sister is also a recovering drug addict and she went to sugar as well as a substitute.

BTW. I think your journey is amazing.

edited to add: just saw the shenannigans above my post. I guess I am a broken record!

I have many people in my family history that are alcoholics. My grandfather died from cirrhosis. My therapist told me that it could be a very large explanation for my sugar addiction.

With that being said, I am still a graduate student, but I am getting my masters in social work which if you don't know includes everything from therapists to addiction specialists and so on. For a very long time I have studied addiction. Of course no one can diagnose anyone of anything based on a forum thread. But I would encourage for some of you out there who think you may suffer from certain issues to seek some assistance as you go through your journey. There is nothing wrong with asking for help and support!

Now, as far as sugar addiction goes. There is nothing in the DSM (what we use for diagnostic criterion) that discusses the words sugar addiction. There is however a binge eating disorder (in different severity levels) that may explain some peoples' issue. What I find interesting and fitting is that it discusses Addictive Behaviors, or groups of repetitive behaviors that are harmful to a person's health: physically, mentally and emotionally. And there are various ways to assist in helping to break some of these addictive behaviors. When you are in the helping profession you understand that many people seek out help for addictive behaviors. Personally, I don't believe that anyone has the right to tell a person they are wrong for trying something to break these behaviors. But I encourage anyone that think they may fit in these categories to get some support! I've even found some great support on this site!

Now, in my personal opinion, when I read through many of these threads and people say sugar addictions, I understand what you are trying to say and I say good luck on all your personal journeys! May you find what works for you and fits into your life!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    <snipped for shortening>

I just read all 8 pages (to be fair) and I do see now that she thanked you for telling her to exercise. I apologize, she did receive that advice well, so thank you for that. (honestly)

That being said, I don't mean to be rude but I don't need to know "CyberEd's" story to know that the OP already knows she has a food addiction to sugary treats. I don't compare stories. I listen to this ONE person's story. She's trying to tell it. And people are not listening......

Frankly, I admit I find it rather disturbing that you make your own claim that the OP does not have a food addiction. What right have you to declare this for her, especially when she's trying to tell everyone, over and over and over that she knows she does (in this area of sugary treats), and knows what she needs to do?

This is especially shocking considering you're an alcoholic (I think that's what you're saying but please correct me if I'm wrong) and you're STILL advising her to "practice moderation" with a food she's already telling you she can't control herself with no matter how many years she's tried to do this and couldn't. With all due respect, why on earth would you do that? It's one of the cardinal rules of the Anonymous groups, to not tell someone whether or not they have an addiction to a particular substance or behavior, and especially not to tell them whether or not to moderate? I realize I may be missing something here - but help me understand if I am.

If someone has admitted to having addictions in alcohol, drugs, or any other substance or behavior, and then comes on one of these boards admitting that they're out of control with a food or food in general, the best thing to do is to listen, empathize, then advise them to get to a support group immediately (or remind them, as many have already been to groups).

If you must advise on what to do in the meantime, simply remind them that there are TWO possible courses of action: moderation and abstinence. You might even give a quick definition of both. Then you tell them that THEY know what's best for themselves, and that it's up to them, and then let go. To keep trying to drill moderation as the "best" course is not helpful, esp. when they're in the midst of being out of control. In out of control episodes, abstinence is almost always best for addicts - but of course that's up to them. In these cases, which admittedly are specific, abstinence needs to stop being vilified as "bad" or "wrong". It's the opposite, for many people. It's often exactly what they need.

I will echo what Derpes said and say that it's unlikely that any of us can diagnose anyone here with an addiction. When I said the OP did not have food addiction, I only meant that she only asserted she was addicted to sugar. If she felt she had food addiction, she probably would have said such. Yes, I already know we're going to disagree on whether sugar addiction is food addiction.

I empathized, I did advised, and I even offered what I consider to be reasonable statements regarding whether sugar addiction is real. Sure it's my opinion, and it's different than yours, but that's all any of us really have since there's no concrete definition of what addiction is.

Advising everyone who says they have an addiction to go seek a support group is a little extreme in my opinion, especially since it's often said colloquially.

ETA: And maybe you'll be happy to know that I advise anyone on a forum thread that says they have food addiction to seek some form of conseling or therapy. I figure if they really need help, then it will be good advice.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Thank you thank you thank you.

I don't want to get carried away with details of my past, lets just say it has been a very long, hard road for me. Everyone has their own battles in life though and I do not believe in saying mine has been better or worse than anyone else's; as we each have our burdens and all carry them in different ways.

What I do know, is my life has been one pattern of addiction after another, the junk food problem has been with me as long as I can remember and has intertwined now with a history of smoking, drug use, abusive boyfriends... My life has been a wonderful mess and I am still doing clean up duty.

I know myself, I know what works for me.... And that is the cold-turkey approach until I get past the point where I am jonesing all day.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to read everyones responses so forgive me if this has already been said. Your sugar addiction is no different from any other addiction. There is newer science that says it is much easier to to quit something when you replace the bad/old habit with a new one. So when you have the urge to grab something sugary you will need to find a new thing to do to replace that habit until the addiction subsides. The key is to find a new habit that's healthy that is not addicting like sugar. Whatever you choose it needs to be something rewarding or it won't work. You can't replace the habit with something you actually get zero benefit/happiness from...in the end you need to feel like you're getting a reward to create this new replacement habit.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    dang....I could really go for a Kit Kat now

ETA: and Captain Morgan. Kit Kat and Captain and Coke Zero...and gummies...lots of gummies! Kit Kat, Captain, Coke Zero, and gummies....that's it.....and ice cream - peanut butter cup ice cream, and mint chocolate chip..
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't your enemy. Or baked goods. Or chocolate.

A consistent caloric surplus is.

But-but-but.. these are the things that give me a consistent caloric surplus. They are very dense.

J/K I get what you're saying. I know you feel like everyone should be able to hold hands with their candy bars around the kumbaya fire..but its just not in the cards for some people. Some people really have to refrain from eating certain things at all, until they get to the point in their life where they can maybe re-introduce it in moderation. Sometimes they never can. Trust.. I envy your ability to "just have a little".

It's taken a lot of practice and willpower... and I'll admit, I still struggle with it from time to time. But to be fair, I'm positive that if I can do it, anyone else can.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's taken a lot of practice and willpower... and I'll admit, I still struggle with it from time to time. But to be fair, I'm positive that if I can do it, anyone else can.
    The other side of the coin is some people don't want to struggle in order to have moderate portions of potato chips, M&Ms and donuts in their diet everyday or week. I like eating a restrictive diet everyday and not obsessing with when I can eat next or shaving off calories here and there and trying to fit in a workout in order to afford sugar cravings. It takes zero willpower not to eat what you don't want. There is such freedom in not NEEDING junk food in order to not feel "deprived" or eating more than you meant to when that one portion is never enough and you want more and more. That is absolutely not sustainable for me -- it's pure misery.

I like treating sweets and the like as something special. I look forward to cookies at Christmas, pies at Thanksgiving, chips at the Superbowl party and my husband bringing home ice cream as a treat in the summer. It makes all of those things special when they're not on your weekly grocery list and they become part of a memory that's worth the extra bit of willpower it takes to deal with the inevitable cravings after the fact.

Bottom line, going cold turkey to get over the NEED for certain foods does not mean a lifetime of misery and deprivation that's guaranteed to fail. It can be the exact opposite.
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The other side of the coin is some people don't want to struggle in order to have moderate portions of potato chips, M&Ms and donuts in their diet everyday or week. I like eating a restrictive diet everyday and not obsessing with when I can eat next or shaving off calories here and there and trying to fit in a workout in order to afford sugar cravings. It takes zero willpower not to eat what you don't want. There is such freedom in not NEEDING junk food in order to not feel "deprived" or eating more than you meant to when that one portion is never enough and you want more and more. That is absolutely not sustainable for me -- it's pure misery.

I like treating sweets and the like as something special. I look forward to cookies at Christmas, pies at Thanksgiving, chips at the Superbowl party and my husband bringing home ice cream as a treat in the summer. It makes all of those things special when they're not on your weekly grocery list and they become part of a memory that's worth the extra bit of willpower it takes to deal with the inevitable cravings after the fact.

Bottom line, going cold turkey to get over the NEED for certain foods does not mean a lifetime of misery and deprivation that's guaranteed to fail. It can be the exact opposite.
    You said it all very well. I am not able to moderate the junk. My "treat" these days is juice. JUICE! And that's now sweet enough.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Why does there have to be so much hostility towards one another. Were suppose to be helping each other, not "one upping" each other or trying to discredit people?:frown:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

So in other words, you practice moderation, right? I was under the impression you completely cut out everything forever.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Why does there have to be so much hostility towards one another. Were suppose to be helping each other, not "one upping" each other or trying to discredit people?:frown:

Who was hostile? I don't remember anyone trying to one-up anyone else in this thread.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY!!!

Please seek the advice of a counselor that is trained in dealing with addictions and consider finding a 12 step program to address your addiction. Addictions are VERY hard to kick by yourself and you'll see much better results if you have professional help. I would also recommend finding a former sugar addict to be your sponsor so you can talk to them during the rough times.