Recommend an Apple!

Options
I spent the first 26 years of my life as an apple hater. Then I made a pie (on a whim of my father's) and discovered that Golden Delicious are . . . kind of delicious. Fast forward two years, and I completely forgot about that incident. Last week I bought one of those prepackaged apples and caramel dip, with what I believe was a Gala apple. Wonderful!

Growing up, apples were either "green" or "red" and neither the mealyness of Red Delicious nor the tartness of Granny Smith appeals to me. So- tell me all about your favorite apple! I'd like something sweet and crisp, without being rock hard. Easy to find is a plus, but I'm willing to go off the beaten track :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    HoneyCrisp or Fuji.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Regular apples are heavily sprayed with pesticides so I choose organic. Plus, IMO they have more flavor.

Honey Crisps, Fujis, Pink Ladys, and Galas all the way!!!!
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Honey crisp! You might like Macintosh, too... easier to find.
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Okay, I LOVE apples. Love love love love. So excuse me if I go off a little here...

Do they grow locally by you? If you can find an orchard that grows heritage varieties to go to this fall, I would highly recommend it! Most orchards are pretty relaxed about tasting, so you can try a lot of types, and find what you like. My absolute favorite is the calville blanc d'hiver (winter white). It's tart and so flavorful!

Pomme grise is another good tart, but smaller than the enormous calville blancs. If you like a sweeter apple, Hudson's Golden Gem is a good choice.

If we're taking strictly grocery store apples, honeycrips are good, but even they have been plagued by "red drift" in recent years. If you can get any of the Spy varieties in-store, I'd recommend those, too. :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Honey Gold was my total favorite. Second the 'go to an orchard' recommendation.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp, braeburn, and pink lady are my go-to apples.
  • cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Corland!!! By far the best apple.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Fuji is the one I regularly buy.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Gala and pink crips (not a typo).
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Honey Crisp or Pink Lady
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Honey crisp apples are amazing. Pink ladies are good as well.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I adore Cortlands when they're very fresh, but they don't hold well. Macintosh. Macoun. Mutsus (also known as Crispins) are great too, and keep well for months. Baldwins. Northern Spy. I find Empires are too sweet, but you like Yellow Delicious, so you might not mind that. Face it, I just like apples.

However, IMO, you shouldn't even consider apples until they're in season again, late summer through early winter. They're so much better than they are now, when they've been in storage for months and kind of taste like the box they've been in.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp, Fuji, Ambrosia
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Gala, Honey Crisp or Fuji. Whichever one is hardest (crispest) at the store.

I also found apples late in life. An apple a day...
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for tons of quick responses! I know there's a pick your own orchard somewhere near me, and I'll definitely look into it this fall! For now, I think I'll make a list, and grab one of everything I can find. I'll have an apple tasting party, just for me :D
  • bobbietaylor733
    Options
    One of most favorite snacks when I`m craving something sweet is:

1/2 cup cottage cheese (low sodium)
    1 delicious apple cute up in little bit size pieces
    cinnamon (as much as you prefer)
    I package of stevia ( I usually don`t use the whole pack)

it`s like a mock apple pie to me, with the extra protein and very filling.

Just thought I would share......
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    fuji! but only if from NZ ;)
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Honeycrisp is my favorite.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    HoneyCrisp or Fuji.

Agree! I swear a good one of either type is like eating candy!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisps are my favorite to buy from the market for snacking. When I'm making a pie or cobbler I prefer granny smiths. Best of all I agree with all the others... love to go apple picking in the fall to harvest local right very this instant fresh picked apples....even just the smell is absolutely delicious :bigsmile: