Recommend an Apple!

Options

Replies

• HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My favs are opal apples and cameo apples, personally organic version are the best.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Pink Lady's are tart yet sweet, with firm, crispy flesh that's slightly pink. I like them with a nice, medium cheddar.

Honeycrisp have light, crispy, almost watery flesh with a sweet flavor. I like them raw, all by themselves.

Golden Delicious are the apples of my childhood. I like them huge, firm, and spread with peanut butter.

All purpose apples (go with PB, cheese, raw or baked) are Fuji and Gala.

PS This thread is fantastic. :love:
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My favourite, hands-down, is Cortand. We used to pick them at the orchard when I was a kid, so the flavour brings back memories. Slightly tart, crisp, juicy. Great for eating raw. It can be tough to find good ones out of season.
    My go-to grocery store variety was Gala, but I've gotten sick of them. I now usually get Mutsu (Crispin), Honeycrisp, or Pink Lady apples. YUM!

Macintosh are gross. Always soft and mealy. Red Delicious are often mealy as well.
  • tcjrph
    tcjrph Posts: 6
    Options
    Sweet Tango if you can find it. Best apple ever! Beats the pants off honey-crisp.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I think Ambrosia apples are amazing. I was never an apple fan until I had them. They are crisp, sweet and taste freakin' delicious IMO. Unfortunately they aren't always available, but if you see them definitely give them a try.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith is and will always be my favorite! Yummy!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fuji!!! :heart:
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Fuji apples have replaced candy for me as a before bedtime snack. I'm not willing to pay almost twice as much for Honey Crisp apples, which taste the same to me.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My new favorite are the Jazz apples. Here they are almost $1 more per apple, so I usually go for the Gala.
  • ambascom
    ambascom Posts: 59
    Options
    Honeycrisp is delicious but expensive. I like pink lady or lady alice to eat (besides red delicious) and fuji to put in salads. Galas are also yummy. I usually look at the little info thing at the grocery store that tells what the apple is best for (pies, salad, etc) and what they taste like. I like sweet, crispy apples. Soft apples are okay every once in a while but not for every day.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    pink lady, gala, fuji, and jonathans are my favorites.

my extremely picky eater loves golden delicious apples.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Gala and Fuji are on the sweet end of the scale. Those are the two types I eat.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Looooooove Gala apples. I basically only buy those, unless we are at an orchard then I buy a bunch of random apples.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you get a red delicious that is fresh, cut it into slices and lightly sprinkle it with salt. Super yummy! Otherwise I love Pink Lady, Honeycrisp & Jazz. If you don't like mealy, stay clear of Rome apples.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,906 Member
    Options
    Envy! Yum!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I can't eat apples unless they're cooked (like in a pie, or apple sauce) cuz I'm allergic to lots of raw fruits and veggies... blehh
  • Shadowfax44
    Shadowfax44 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I always have trouble remembering which apples I like!

Can anyone make a recommendation for a crisp, tart apple that is not quite as tart as a Granny Smith ? I do like a flavor called Pinks Crisp but I can rarely find it here. And I know I don't like Honey crisp, red or golden delicious apples.

Eta: I just looked it up and I guess it is Cripps Pink which is the same as Pink Lady. Now I know what to look for.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Pink lady with cinnamon mmm
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You guys got me rediculously excited about apples! Today I purchased 6: Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp (almost $1.50 for an apple!?), Jazz, Pink Lady and Braeburn. I also have on hand some natural creamy peanut butter, brie, cheddar and caramel dipping sauce. Tonight will be apple fest! I'll slice them all up (some will have to be saved, of course- I don't think I can eat 6 whole apples!), clearly label them and judge them on their merits with each accompaniment and on their own. I'll be back with the results! Wish me luck!