Not seeing results - this close to giving up

Options

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that sounds ridiculous.

"I'm not seeing results, so therefore I'm going to quit."

Why not do it for your health most of all?
    Why not be consistent and form habits to GET the results you want?

If you dropped your phone and cracked it, would you just give up on the phone and stomp on it? No, you wouldn't. So just because you're not seeing the results you want YET, doesn't mean you should just throw in the towel because you think you're not getting anywhere. The biggest changes start on the inside.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    To be honest I'm a bit confused as to why not more people are taking your age into account. First off, you're only 18. Your body is still changing and while it can be frustrating for you, this might just be what's going on here. When I think back to the way that my body looked when I was your age it's very different from what it is now (I just turned 25 last month).

While I understand that you want to make a positive change in your life and get the body that you desire, I'm of the firm belief that a person who is of high school age, even though they're about to be adults, shouldn't highly restrict what they're eating (unless they're obese and need a lot of help) because then I get concerned that they're not getting all of the nutrients that their body requires.

A few of the other points might be a possibility as well, though. It's possible that maybe working out and eating more clean is something that will benefit your body and will produce a noticeable change but maybe your body needs to just hop on board with that first so maybe it can take longer than you'd like for it to. And regardless of everything, any kind of yo-yo dieting, which is what it sounds like you've been doing, isn't good for you.

Another option, which may be less likely considering your age, have you ever thought that maybe you have a thyroid problem? Not being able to lose weight despite putting in what seems to be a lot of effort can be a sign of something else. Maybe your body has an increasingly slow metabolic rate which makes it so that the pounds aren't dropping off like you wish they would. Granted, I'm not a doctor, but it's always a possibility since you've been working out so much and eating better, maybe that's been compensating for a slow metabolism which has been why you've been plateauing - you've perhaps been just "evening out" everything.

I began losing weight/ calorie tracking when I was still in high school, and I wasn't incredibly obese. I was overweight, and doing so has been the best choice I've ever made.

It's not good for ANYBODY to but super restrictive in calories. To be honest, though, teenagers in this day and age are eating WAY too much and their bodies are starved for nutrients. So I have to respectfully disagree with your statements that teens should not do this. I never understood the value of food until I began this lifestyle/ logging food and calories / understanding the actual makeup and breakdown of foods.

I doubt she has a thyroid problem. Others on the thread have noticed her inconsistencies in logging and that is probably the issue. I can't tell you how many people I hear saying they "can't lose weight/aren't seeing the results" when they don't do what is required of them in order to achieve it. Maybe she's just not ready to do so, but sooner or later she'll have to decide what she really wants and how hard she's willing to work to get it.

ETA: All this being said, you ARE still growing. I don't pay attention to my scale much anymore, because (especially as a woman) it fluctuates SO much. Focus on NSV's, especially if you're not too far from your goal weight. Now, I pride myself on gaining muscle, increasing endurance, making healthy choices, and logging all my food. That is what makes me proud. Leave the scale behind and be concerned with your health and future rather than the scale weight.
  • tsAii
    tsAii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What I tell people is to weigh yourself and track your meals for one week straight. In the second week weigh yourself again and see if you gained, maintained or lost weight. according to your previous week see if you should lower your calories. Every week when you don't lose weight you lower your calories.

About 1-1.5g of protein per lbs of lean body mass
    about .4g of fat per lbs of lean body mass
    rest = carbs.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    People in the same position as you who eat at a deficit lose weight. You are not a special case. You arent eating at a deficit.

Exercise does not equal weight loss. Calorie deficit = weight loss, whatever way you look at it...

Of course I'm not a 'special case', but everybody (and every body) is different. I'm sorry for not having the knowledge to lose fat (not weight!!) and therefore seeking advice.

Sorry, but the point was, you claim to have tried so many ways while missing the bottom line. Exercise doesnt equal weight loss, low carb doesnt equal weight loss, eating clean per se doesnt equal weight loss. Many people have the misconception that by exercising or changing something, that this will amount to weight loss, but this is irrelevant if the overall calorie balance does not change.

You have not mentioned in your piece that your calorie intake has dropped, and given that you have not lost weight, this is why....

By the way, 163cm, 63kg. None of my business really but this is a healthy weight?.....
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    since you mention previous ED or ED leaning behavior, is it possible your perception of how you look and how you actually look are a bit off? Perhaps seek some advice on taking measurements. I find it terribly difficult to do with accuracy down to the cm, yet you seem to know you are 1 cm bigger than a year ago.

I know my perception of what I look like is totally off (though I happen to have it in the opposite direction). When you are already so small I'd imagine it can be hard/take a while to see changes.

Though I am not sure what you are planning to give up on? It sounds like you have a regular routine with a good, healthy lifestyle. Why would you stop doing the things you are already doing? So you can add more fat onto your body? That sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face?
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself! I gave up on myself years ago and ended up 255+ :(
  • snufs
    snufs Posts: 78
    Options
    Honestly, that sounds ridiculous.

"I'm not seeing results, so therefore I'm going to quit."

Why not do it for your health most of all?
    Why not be consistent and form habits to GET the results you want?

If you dropped your phone and cracked it, would you just give up on the phone and stomp on it? No, you wouldn't. So just because you're not seeing the results you want YET, doesn't mean you should just throw in the towel because you think you're not getting anywhere. The biggest changes start on the inside.

I may have expressed myself a bit wrong - I won't quit, I'm just getting frustrated of trying and trying for two years without seeming to find what works for me.. I'm not even sure what I'd quit on, so yeah, you're right, it really does sound ridiculous. Thanks for putting it that way, though, I know now I will definitely not give up, but yeah, like I said, it's just so frustrating! Don't know what I'd do though, except for keep eating healthy and working out .. It's not like I want to go back to not caring about what I put in my body etc. So I'll keep up with my healthy lifestyle, just thinking that some results would be nice! Thanks again. Really, I mean it.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Or been checked for other medical problems? I have a bad thyroid and have been taking medication for it for a few years now but before that, NOTHING worked. I kept gaining and gaining even when trying to lose. You may want to see a doctor.

Please don't give up. You need to love yourself enough to want to keep trying. This is your body, your HEALTH here. I hope it works out for you!
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Op what are your goals?
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    You need to be consistent,rather than trying this for a bit then that for a bit set yourself a meal plan for the week and stick to it.Losing weight properly takes time and discipline.Work out your maintenance calories and eat 500 less everyday and you should lose weight..Be patient
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy BMI, so losing more weight is going to be a struggle. Plus, you're 18 and still growing.

If you would be okay at your current weight but would like to change your body composition (more muscle, less fat), what you want to do is called a body recomp. Do some searches on MFP for recomp threads -- there's a TON of great information here! It's a slow process, but over time you can gain a little muscle and lose some fat, so you'll become smaller and tighter overall without seeing the number on the scale change significantly.

Please listen to this!!! You are at a healthy weight and your caloric needs are higher due to age. Stop fighting this please. If you're dissatisfied with the distribution of fat on your body or have too much body fat, then it's time to focus on your muscles.

Everyone asking about thyroid or telling OP to eat less, do you see she is at a normal weight already?
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating a bit more. If you have been restrictive with your diet, which by looking at your log, you've been eating low cal for a while. Try aiming for around 1500 cals a day, and workout. This is what worked for me. I know we aren't the same, but try it for a week and see.
  • snufs
    Options
    Op what are your goals?

My goals are to gain muscle but lose fat. Measurements, smaller size in clothing, etc. In the past two years I haven't changed my measurements even the slightest, which is what I'd like to do but can't seem to do this whole thing right.
  • snufs
    Options
    Though I am not sure what you are planning to give up on? It sounds like you have a regular routine with a good, healthy lifestyle. Why would you stop doing the things you are already doing? So you can add more fat onto your body? That sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

To be honest, I don't know what I'd give up on. You're right, I do live a healthy lifestyle looking from the outside, but it's just my head that keeps messing with me since I don't see the results. It feels like I'm putting in way too much effort not to notice some change, but I really don't. Sometimes it feels like I want to just be like most people I know, eating whatever they like and working out when they feel like it, but then I remember that my body will thank me when I'm older and theirs will probably not. Sometimes it just feels like a duty rather than something I enjoy, although I love living this lifestyle, but when I don't notice any difference I just get discouraged. It'd be a lot easier if I saw only the smallest change, that'd keep me going in no time. But to just go on and on and on without results .. It gets though sometimes, especially since I don't even know if I'm doing it right. Thanks for your response, though.
  • Skye1864
    Skye1864 Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't give up! I understand completely how you feel, but it will be worth it. Just try to stick to one thing maybe, so aim for a calorie intake eg 1200 and exercise, like you're already doing, I'm and sure you'll see results, if you're a healthy weight, your body can plateau (stop reacting to diet), so up the anti would be my advice! But make sure you're still feeling healthy and fit!

I wish you all the best!
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Op what are your goals?

My goals are to gain muscle but lose fat. Measurements, smaller size in clothing, etc. In the past two years I haven't changed my measurements even the slightest, which is what I'd like to do but can't seem to do this whole thing right.

How long have you stick with a lifting and eating plan before you changed it? Muscle takes time to build which you have put in but it also takes being consistent with a lifting strategy and fueling your body to build muscle. This means to eat consistently at or slightly above maintaince.

I have just started my first bulk cycle and am excited to see the changes just like you are. I will be lifting 3x a week the first month and then up it to 4x. I am eating for a slight gain at 100-250 above my TDEE. I hope to add 10-15of muscle and no more than 5# of fat. This will up my weight by up to 20# but drop my bf% by an entire %.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Log accurately and stick with it. your logging is all over the place and looks pretty inaccurate. Instead of chopping and changing do one thing correctly and consistently.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    No advice I'm afraid but interesting reading as I'm just the same- within my healthy weight range but unhappy with the fat on my torso. Like you- I'm constantly changing things but I do it as I feel what's the point in continuing with something that doesn't work. Also like you I become obsessed but I think the obsession is more with trying to fathom this out because let's face it- are our lives going to be really transformed by getting rid of this fat. We both need to chill a bit, aim for a deficit if a few hundred calories and give it time.
  • snufs
    Options
    Op what are your goals?

How long have you stick with a lifting and eating plan before you changed it? Muscle takes time to build which you have put in but it also takes being consistent with a lifting strategy and fueling your body to build muscle. This means to eat consistently at or slightly above maintaince.

I have just started my first bulk cycle and am excited to see the changes just like you are. I will be lifting 3x a week the first month and then up it to 4x. I am eating for a slight gain at 100-250 above my TDEE. I hope to add 10-15of muscle and no more than 5# of fat. This will up my weight by up to 20# but drop my bf% by an entire %.

Last year I did stronglifts 5x5 for about four months along with clean eating. This year I switched to the cardio-strength program I described earlier but I'm not sure that it's the best way to actually build strength .. Maybe I should focus on two muscle groups a day, three days a week like so many else do? And then combine with HIIT (as much as my knees can handle ..) How do you do?
  • snufs
    Options
    No advice I'm afraid but interesting reading as I'm just the same- within my healthy weight range but unhappy with the fat on my torso. Like you- I'm constantly changing things but I do it as I feel what's the point in continuing with something that doesn't work. Also like you I become obsessed but I think the obsession is more with trying to fathom this out because let's face it- are our lives going to be really transformed by getting rid of this fat. We both need to chill a bit, aim for a deficit if a few hundred calories and give it time.

This is exactly what I wonder: is my whole life going to revolve around trying to lose fat and not succeeding? That'd be terrible! But yeah, I hear you. Let's do as you say, try to stay with it and be patient and all that .. Maybe our results will come later rather than sooner! Wish you the best!