Do I HAVE to count calories?

Options

Replies

• andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The one things about counting calories, is that you can let it consume you, just like the weight on the scale.

So true! You can do it in a way that doesn't take a lot of effort. Doing it for awhile like others suggested is a good way to see how the calories add up. Also, as you build up food in your database it takes less and less effort.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

Takes 5 minutes (if that per day)....

Seriously?!? What do you eat? It takes me more than 5 min to enter one recipe. I realize the problems MFP experiences with keeping a clean database, especially on a free site, but all the differing entries in the database do make entering meals very time consuming.

Every item must be looked up, then verified, to see which of the dozen or so entries is correct. And if one cooks most meal from scratch, this much be done for every ingredient. And for produce and other foods that come without a nutrition label, that means going to another web site for that verification.

I suppose if one eats the same foods often, or eats a lot of prepared foods that have the information on a label it would be faster, but not everyone eats that way.

I prepare all my own food from scratch and have absolutely no problem using the database. It doesn't take me very long to do it, and I've been on here for over a year. Excuses..................... :smile:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to count calories. You don't have to lose weight, either.

I hate counting calories. Hate it. But, I have to if I want to lose weight. I've tried it a million other ways, and this is the only way that works for me.
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

^^^ this may be the single most annoying thing i see in the forums... people with food phobias coming to a calorie counting website and telling others than counting calories is pointless and that all that is necessary for losing weight is to become a foodophobe.

Don't you have to fear food to be a foodophobe? I never said anything against any food. Food is a substance which nourishes the body. Substances which do not nourish the body cannot be food.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do something don't half-*kitten* it. Count your cals/macros and track your progress or spin your wheels.
  • nhughes808
    nhughes808 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have ever wanted a Doritos Locos Taco more than while reading through this thread.

....and it's going to be the most delicious non-food substance I ever fit into my calorie limit.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

^^^ this may be the single most annoying thing i see in the forums... people with food phobias coming to a calorie counting website and telling others than counting calories is pointless and that all that is necessary for losing weight is to become a foodophobe.

Don't you have to fear food to be a foodophobe? I never said anything against any food. Food is a substance which nourishes the body. Substances which do not nourish the body cannot be food.

you just did! you announced that these are not to be considered food and not to be eaten!

- doritos
    - diet pepsi
    - EVERYTHING sold at a bakery
    - EVERYTHING sold at a candy store
    - 90% of everything in a supermarket

you have one of the worst cases of food phobia i have ever seen.

BTW, the definition of food is ANYTHING your body can digest and derive nutrients and energy from and that means everything that just claimed is not food, actually is food. by definition. that bears repeating... BY DEFINITION!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have been obese most of my life because I followed advice from all the experts. Just recently, I have been doing my own research which has changed my life. The Food Industry will tell any lie to convince us to part with our money and they don't care whether we live or die.

In your opinion, does calorie control (in terms of creating a calorie deficit) lead to weight loss?

Do you think eating, say, protein powder, donuts, diet soda, pizza, cookies, and Taco Bell inherently harm weight loss?

I spend about 10 hours per day walking, running, cycling and otherwise moving under my own power. Since I am almost never home, the food I want is not always available to me and I consume junk. However, I mitigate my consumption of junk by constant activity and my Fitbit tells me to eat 4000 calories per day. I do a Marathon nearly every day and I will be 61 next month. I consume the highest quality protein powder from organic pasture raised New Zealand Cattle. As for Taco Bell, I hardly ever see my 20 year old son and he loves to eat there. I rarely drink soda, but when I do it is with sugar and no artificial sweeteners. I do enough muscular activity to prevent insulin spikes, which are thought to be the primary cause of obesity.

Sorry, but I really don't like people that preach one thing and then do another. Follow your own advice without excuses and I could respect you a little.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

bro, do you even logic?

your "take" on this (because i refuse to call it advice) is absolutely asinine.

we get it...you dont think "junk food" is food. cool story.

but it is, so enough with that.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have been obese most of my life because I followed advice from all the experts. Just recently, I have been doing my own research which has changed my life. The Food Industry will tell any lie to convince us to part with our money and they don't care whether we live or die.

In your opinion, does calorie control (in terms of creating a calorie deficit) lead to weight loss?

Do you think eating, say, protein powder, donuts, diet soda, pizza, cookies, and Taco Bell inherently harm weight loss?

I spend about 10 hours per day walking, running, cycling and otherwise moving under my own power. Since I am almost never home, the food I want is not always available to me and I consume junk. However, I mitigate my consumption of junk by constant activity and my Fitbit tells me to eat 4000 calories per day. I do a Marathon nearly every day and I will be 61 next month. I consume the highest quality protein powder from organic pasture raised New Zealand Cattle. As for Taco Bell, I hardly ever see my 20 year old son and he loves to eat there. I rarely drink soda, but when I do it is with sugar and no artificial sweeteners. I do enough muscular activity to prevent insulin spikes, which are thought to be the primary cause of obesity.

Sorry, but I really don't like people that preach one thing and then do another. Follow your own advice without excuses and I could respect you a little.

Exactly what snowflake said. Plus you keep contradicting your own advice.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to lose weight and become healthy should follow the program here on MFP. It is excellent and it works. By logging everything you eat and drink, you find out what it is doing to you and you can choose to make the appropriate changes.

Oh, great! So you don't actually have to avoid Doritos, you just need to make sure they fit into the program MFP lays out.

Fantastic. We agree 100%.

The only problem is that MFP only tells you to eat food and PEPSICO does not make food. On the contrary, PEPSICO takes what used to be food, makes sure there is no nutrition in it, then makes it YUMMY so idiotic sheep will give them money and make them rich.
    Are you aware of some of these PepsiCo brands?
    Quaker oats
    Tropicana
    Copella
    Nobby's Nuts

Just to name a few - so in your view aren't any of these oats, fruit juices, apple juice, nuts etc. what you would describe as food?

Do you also bay at the moon?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

bro, do you even logic?

your "take" on this (because i refuse to call it advice) is absolutely asinine.

we get it...you dont think "junk food" is food. cool story.

but it is, so enough with that.

Your post needed this...
    cool-story-bro.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

giphy.gif
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    Quaker oats
    Tropicana

These brands are usually associated with nourishing food, but, for the sake of profit, they have morphed into purveyors of even worse garbage: quaker makes granola bars which are candy in disguise and tropicana is made from concentrated sugar water. You fools who believe this garbage is food deserve what you get. LOL
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    You fools who believe this garbage is food deserve what you get. LOL

tumblr_inline_n38f6pKP4G1rkjso4.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    You fools who believe this garbage is food deserve what you get. LOL

arnold_lol_gif.gif
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Quaker oats
    Tropicana

These brands are usually associated with nourishing food, but, for the sake of profit, they have morphed into purveyors of even worse garbage: quaker makes granola bars which are candy in disguise and tropicana is made from concentrated sugar water. You fools who believe this garbage is food deserve what you get. LOL
    So because Quaker also make granola bars their 100% oats cereal doesn't count as food?
    And Tropicana juice made from 100% fruit juice (not concentrate) has somehow morphed into sugar water?

You couldn't think of anything silly to say about nuts and apple juice I see.

Full moon coming soon.....

Seriously for a minute - have you considered therapy?
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Seriously? No, this is WRONG. YES, you should be eating REAL food, but not "as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself". It is absurd to think you will not gain weight by eating unlimited amounts of anything. It is STILL calories in verses calories out!

Seriously, when you nourish your body properly you will discover natural limitations on how much you can eat because your body will tell you when it has had enough. This does not happen with food-like substances from a bakery, candy store or Doritos bag. Contrary to popular belief, it is not calories in/calories out. Eating too little will put your body in starvation mode and slow your metabolism. Eating more will quite often help in losing weight as long as you only eat food. Chemicals which resemble food such as Doritos do not have this same effect and the calories in/calories out theory will indeed occur. Deprivation is an extremely idiotic and ineffective method of losing weight.
    Bollocks
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you want to be in shape, yes. Yes, you do.

You do not need to count calories to be in great shape. Athletes 100 years ago did not even know what calories were.
    Yes but there is this little thing called progress you know? There is no way an athlete from 100 years ago could compete with a modern athlete with science, nutrition and training methods on their side
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've been in some fabulous bakeries in Paris. I'm pretty sure that all those delicious breads and pastries were made with "real food" ingredients. And I can attest to how much I gained eating a pain au chocolat every afternoon for three weeks.

I want to see this mysterious person who can "stuff themselves" with "real food" in unlimited quantities and not gain weight. I guess if real food only means steamed veggies and salad, well. maybe.