do calories matter?

Options

Replies

• aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Been on this for about 2 weeks and it's awesome.
    lchf? Low carb high fat?
    I'm not going to even click that link. If you're doing any type of resistance training (like lifting weights), you're going to need your carbs. Not to mention, you can lose weight by just lowering your overall caloric intake or moving more (or both).
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

lchf? Low carb high fat?
    I'm not going to even click that link. If you're doing any type of resistance training (like lifting weights), you're going to need your carbs. Not to mention, you can lose weight by just lowering your overall caloric intake or moving more (or both).

You should try it. Ok the first few days are hell but after a while it's liberating. Best of all I'm not so damn hungry all the time. I take amino acid supplements and pre-workouts. Motivation in the gym is not a problem. Sure I miss Pizza, Ice Cream and Peanut Buter Cups but not at the cost of how I feel since going LCHF.
  • aarondnguyen
    Options
    You should try it. Ok the first few days are hell but after a while it's liberating. Best of all I'm not so damn hungry all the time. I take amino acid supplements and pre-workouts. Motivation in the gym is not a problem. Sure I miss Pizza, Ice Cream and Peanut Buter Cups but not at the cost of how I feel since going LCHF.
    lol
    if only you knew the way the body works.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

lchf? Low carb high fat?

Given his physique, I really do not think he needs to try any such faddy lifestyle. He seems to be doing very well on whatever plan he is currently following. ;)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    she asks . . . on a calorie counting website.

Exactly what I was thinking!!!!!!!
    (great minds think alike lol)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

lchf? Low carb high fat?

Pass. I'll keep my ice cream, pizza, and Peanut Butter cups
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for weight. Healthy food or not, you eat more than you burn, you gain weight. Eat less, you lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/mfp-101-calories-macros-and-micros-617211
  • aarondnguyen
    Options
    Given his physique, I really do not think he needs to try any such faddy lifestyle. He seems to be doing very well on whatever plan he is currently following. ;)
    Completely removing carbs will set you up for a potential binge/restrict cycle (I've done it before). Sure, diets similar to Atkins are great for fat loss... but they are unnecessary, as weight loss can be achieved with better, and much safer alternatives. And you said it yourself, you miss pizza and ice cream. Why deprive yourself? I can get shredded while still eating chocolate every day.
  • dough21
    Options

lchf? Low carb high fat?

To each their own. Remember what works for one person doesn't always work for somebody else and the leaner you are the more carbs you need. I'm about 40 pounds from my goal and seem to do better without them. Believe me I've tried almost everything to keep the carbs in my diet but this seems to be the only thing that keeps things moving.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Calories are just a figment of our imaginations....
    That is why we don't have an obesity problem. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Completely removing carbs will set you up for a potential binge/restrict cycle (I've done it before). Sure, diets similar to Atkins are great for fat loss... but they are unnecessary, as weight loss can be achieved with better, and much safer alternatives. And you said it yourself, you miss pizza and ice cream. Why deprive yourself? I can get shredded while still eating chocolate every day.

This is good advice.

Recommending lchf, a diet which teaches you to fear healthy foods, is not a great idea given the OP is a recovering anorexic who does a lot of cardio.

Eat your carbs. Get enough calories. Enjoy a variety of foods.
  • aarondnguyen
    Options
    To each their own. Remember what works for one person doesn't always work for somebody else and the leaner you are the more carbs you need. I'm about 40 pounds from my goal and seem to do better without them. Believe me I've tried almost everything to keep the carbs in my diet but this seems to be the only thing that keeps things moving.
    By that logic, keeping track of calories and eating carbs wouldn't work for everyone in terms of weight loss?? Please don't make me post peer-reviewed studies to back my claims lol. And I doubt a site like "dietdoctor.com" is trustworthy. At all.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, calories are calories. You can eat 1,500 calories in vegetables or 1,500 calories in candy and you will lose weight either way.

However, when it comes to how you feel and how well you perform throughout you day, especially if you exercise, calories do count. You will probably have a better day, including your workout, if you decide not to eat all carrots or all candy but rather have a balanced diet that includes both candy and carrots.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    300 calories are in a mcdonalds cheeseburger. i can eat a 5-6 cup salad with grilled chicken... thats a lot of salad. anyway i joke that the cheeseburger calories go straight to your back boobs and the salad goes to the right places. the body knows how to handle real food but processed food not so much. so its where the calories come from that does the body good. in the end tho its still 300 calories.
    This is wrong.
  • dough21
    Options
    By that logic, keeping track of calories and eating carbs wouldn't work for everyone in terms of weight loss?? Please don't make me post peer-reviewed studies to back my claims lol. And I doubt a site like "dietdoctor.com" is trustworthy. At all.

Think of it what you want but how about some credibility here? As one that use to weigh 415 pounds and is now around 240. Don't believe me, look at the before and after in my profile.
  • aarondnguyen
    Options
    Think of it what you want but how about some credibility here? As one that use to weigh 415 pounds and is now around 240. Don't believe me, look at the before and after in my profile.
    You could've gotten the same results by consistently staying in a caloric deficit. Just because a fad diet worked doesn't mean it's the be-all end-all way to weight loss. Correlation doesn't equal causation. You're also denying the laws of thermodynamics. Expend more calories than you consume for any prolonged period of time, and you lose weight. And vice versa.

This isn't even about giving credibility or not. This is science.
  • dough21
    Options
    I'm actually not quite as strict as the typical LCHF. I'm currently toying around with it a bit and seem to be doing well. The other day I had around 150 carbs. On days I ride my bike or go to the gym I'll simply have more carbs but on days where I'm sedentary, there's really no need for access carbs. For dinner today I had 6.0 oz of Hamburger, Tomato Paste, Franks Hot Sauce, A Cup of Philadelphia Pepperjack Cheese on 2 Tortillas. It was around 13 net carbs and it was oh so good! :)
  • ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you have issues with food I think the conscious eating works to keep the weight off...if you start eating foods that your body actually wants they naturally have less calories (veggies, fruit, beans, meat in moderation or not at all if you're really good) then it's a lifestyle now....taking in smaller quantities of high calorie foods will get you the body you want but it can only be sustained by people who don't not have eating disorders

I've lost and gained 4x but I've never felt like this weight loss is inevitable until I decided to make the base of my "diet" foods that the human body actually wants. So yeah calories matter..but keeping off the weight matters more
  • aarondnguyen
    Options
    I'm actually not quite as strict as the typical LCHF. I'm currently toying around with it a bit and seem to be doing well. The other day I had around 150 carbs. On days I ride my bike or go to the gym I'll simply have more carbs but on days where I'm sedentary, there's really no need for ]access carbs. For dinner today I had 6.0 oz of Hamburger, Tomato Paste, Franks Hot Sauce, A Cup of Philadelphia Pepperjack Cheese on 2 Tortillas. It was around 13 net carbs and it was oh so good! :)

1) Excess*.
    2) 13 net carbs? A carb is a carb, whether it's inactive or not. Just because it says fiber doesn't mean you shouldn't count it into your calories.
    3) On rest days, a balanced diet (that includes carbs) will still help your muscles recover from the previous day's workout.

I'm done here.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yes. Calories count.
    Such things are said because no one anticipates the ignorance of the human race. There are warnings on hair dryers that tell people not to use them in the shower. Why? Because someone probably did.
    Have you seen the instructions on a box of toothpicks? That's why I rarely go inside the asylum anymore.