Recommend an Apple!

Options
1235»

Replies

• caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp and pink lady are my favorites...and a nice, crunchy non-"mealy" red delicious. I love apples
  • WolfChylde
    WolfChylde Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cortland and Opal are my favorites :)
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Gala and Honeycrisp here...though I do like a good granny smith on occasion!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Jazz Apples are awesome
  • brittsway
    brittsway Posts: 12
    Options
    Since apparently they go hand in hand, I also go for either honey crisp (if they are on sale) or the pink lady ones. I love that there are so many different options now. There is one for every taste it seems.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Gala without a doubt. I thought I hated apples till I found them. The redder, the better!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Yay for Fuji! I've been buying them bagged, as they tend to be smaller and fit my day better, and the last 2 bags I bought were perfect.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Has anyone said honeycrisp yet?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

I think you're the first!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I think you're the first!

YAAAY :bigsmile:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Honeycrips and golden delicious.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Honey crisp apples are amazing. Pink ladies are good as well.

This^^^^^^ How could she be wrong she's a Lions fan! :)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Anyway, apple fest was last night! Here are my complete results, for those interested.

The Applicants: Fuji, Braeburn, Jazz, Pink Lady, Gala, Honeycrisp
    The Accompaniments: Pie Spice mixture (cinnamon, ground cloves and a pinch of nutmeg), Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, Laughing Cow White Cheddar wedge, Sweet Lava Caramel Dip

Fuji: Crisp and apple-y. A clear winner in both the Peanut Butter and Caramel dipping categories. Also paired well with the cheese spread.

Braeburn: Not too crunchy, but not at all mealy. Nice and sweet. Hands down winner with the spice blend.

Jazz; This one was by far the easiest to core- very few seeds, and little waste. It was, however, almost mealy, and very quick to brown. Average in all categories- paired well with each accompaniment, and was decent enough on its own, but not outstanding.

Pink Lady: Crunchy, sweet and very lightly tart. Average in all categories.

Gala: Perfect balance between crispy and soft/biteable. Paired well with the spice blend.

Honeycrisp: Sweet & crunchy, almost alcoholic flavor. The most unique of all the apple flavors. Also, unfortunately, the most expensive. PHENOMENAL with the cheese spread!

Each had their merits, and each paired more or less well with the various things I tend to pair apples with. I doubt I'll go for Jazz again, unless to ensure that I didn't just get a less than stellar apple for my test run. I also will likely not go with Pink Ladies, as there was nothing stand-out about it to me. Honeycrisp was a great apple, but price will force it to be an occasional treat. Galas and Braeburns may make frequent visits, but I think Fujis are the winner here! They won the panel in two out of four pairing, and placed in a third, as well as having a pleasant taste on their own.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions, and I will certainly keep an eye out for those apples mentioned that were not available for test round one! I'm looking forward to an orchard trip this fall :)

I love that you did a whole experiment around this :laugh:
  • ashliij
    ashliij Posts: 54
    Options
    Figured I'd post just to give golden delicious apples a little more love. If you buy them when they're actually "golden" (ie a bit yellowed) rather than the bright green that you usually see available in the super market, they are divine. If none of the apples in your supermarket are ripe, just buy at least one and let it age a bit over a couple of days - the wait is worth it! They're great plain, in light apple crisps, dipped in peanut butter.. just about anything.