I need lunch ideas under 300 calories please!

Options

Replies

• janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I do the same lunch most days...just making small changes for flavor changes.

Turkey sandwich on a sandwich thin...change flavors with mustard, honey mustard, type of turkey, different cheeses, etc. When I get tired of turkey, then london broil or chicken for awhile
    Salad - currently with almonds, sesame seeds, wonton strips with light asian sesame dressing
    Fruit (sometimes with cheesecake yogurt - 16 oz. plain yogurt mixed with a box of fat free, sugar free Jello cheesecake pudding mix)
    String cheese (if I don't put it on my sandwich)
    great ideas. love them all thanks.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    How about instead of telling her how many calories her lunch should be, you either give an example or don't? Sheesh, people.

A sandwich made with two scrambled eggs (cooked with non-stick spray) and some lower-calorie bread with a piece of fruit/fruit slices/a low-cal yogurt? I have that and it's usually under 300 cals.
  • mojgan12345
    Options
    not exactly 300, but here is what I do and it's around 350-400 but very filling:

0.5 bag of frozen vegetables ,steamed -> this is 150 cal
    1 steamed chicken breast -> this is around 190 cal

so it ends up being around 340, but I assure you it is filing :)
    Hope this helps!
  • Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Progresso Light soup.
    Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones offer some good microwaveable lunch choices.
    I've recently been eating a lot of Dr. McDougall's Asian Entree noodles for lunch too, around 200-220 calories per cup.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes are perfect for lunch ideas under 300 calories. Two of those per day, along with vitamins and supplements, will help anyone lose weight (or just inches).
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A Large salad of lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, red onion, cucumber and 2 tablespoons of coleslaw and a small grilled chicken breast.

Red pepper and tomato soup (a whole bell peper, 1 stick of celery, a carrot, an onion and a tin of chopped tomatoes and a stock cube top up with water, boil until the veg is soft and whizz in a food processor about 90 kcal a bowl) with a slice of wholemeal bread.

butternut squash soup, vegetable soup, hummus with vegetable cruditees and a pitta bread.

there is loads of ideas really but the above is generally what i eat for my lunches.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    How about instead of telling her how many calories her lunch should be, you either give an example or don't? Sheesh, people.

No, see when somebody says they need meal ideas for under 300 calories -- because that's what they regularly consume for a meal, that is usually a warning that are possibly being too restrictive.

Op, if those are your numbers, those are your numbers. 1,640 seems a bit low for somebody's TDEE -- even for a sedentary job. Most people's BMRs are usually right at 1,400. I would ask you one question about the 1,640: Are you losing .9 pounds a week or are you losing more? If more, then I would suggest to you, that the calculator you are using is too conservative.

I would also suggest, if you have less than 20-25 pounds to lose, you have the goal of .5 pounds per week.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with lunches under 300 calories. Mine are generally around that much because, like you, I want to eat the bulk of my calories for dinner. I don't particularly feel like I need loads of calories through the day, but I do like a big dinner! I owe a lot of my success to doing it this way.

I eat: salads; soup; crackerbread or tortillas with light cream cheese, cucumber, and tomato; light hummus with veggies, hard boiled eggs; yogurt; smoothies; and oatmeal. I usually add a piece of fruit and call it good! :)
  • knutsk
    knutsk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My average lunch is under 300 calories, and it fills me up until my (small) mid afternoon snack! It consists of a quesadilla (1 corn tortilla, 1/2 cup fat free refried beans, 2 tbs cheese, 2 tbs salsa), 1 cup of green beans, and half an apple. It's 294 calories, and I eat it pretty much every day.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Soups
    Microwave/lean cuisine meals
    Tuna/Salmon/Turkey salads with loads of raw veggies (lettuce, spinach, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, celery)
    Wraps
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with lunches under 300 calories. Mine are generally around that much because, like you, I want to eat the bulk of my calories for dinner. I don't particularly feel like I need loads of calories through the day, but I do like a big dinner! I owe a lot of my success to doing it this way.

I agree with that 100% I rarely have breakfast for the same reason.

Unfortunately, that's not the reason OP gave, she said her diet is 1,200 and that leaves her with limited flexibility.
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Rice and beans FTW! I eat a lot of this for my lunch on a fairly regular basis. This is basically how I do it: long-grain brown rice 1/2 C (108 cal), canned pinto beans 1/4 C (52 cal), shredded mild cheddar cheese 1/2 oz (60 cal), salsa 2 Tbsp (~20 cal). Tasty, low calorie, full of fiber and protein, and under 300 calories.

Also, oatmeal is pretty good for being filling and low calorie. Ex: old-fashioned rolled oats 1/2 C (150 cal), 1/2 medium banana (~55 cal), peanut butter 1 Tbsp (~100 cal). Just about 300 calories. I don't really care for super sweet, so I don't usually add sugar or anything. Also, you can add a low sugar jelly/jam/preserves for PB&J flavor. :)

Hope this helps!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes are perfect for lunch ideas under 300 calories. Two of those per day, along with vitamins and supplements, will help anyone lose weight (or just inches).

And this is why you don't get nutrition advice from most trainers. Eat real food not meal replacement shakes.

OP I would check your BMR and TDEE numbers because 1200 calories a day is usually a very low and unnecessary calorie target. You do not need to overly restrict your calories to lose weight.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It sounds crazy but I love to use the as seen on TV microwaveable stone pot thing to make eggs for lunch.
    I use 2 eggs, spinach, chopped bell pepper and onion, and the tiny florets from the bottom of my broccoli steamer bag. You'll still have about 120 cals left for some chicken, fruit or whatever you're craving. Or you can just save the calories for dinner like I usually do since it's super filling.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Look, I think 1200 calorie diets are low too, but I think that eating an under 300 calorie lunch is the same as someone say...skipping breakfast or eating in a 6 hour window.

Why does she need to eat over 300 calories for lunch? No big deal. That being said OP, you might consider bumping up your calories a wee bit.

I used to make epic sandwiches with lots of greens and lean cuts of meat for 200ish calories by using sandwich thins. I like to use hummus or pesto as spread. Soups with a broth base are a great way to eat low calorie. Make sure to add some kind of meat to it, or beans, to hit a good amount of protein. I make a yummy cream of broccoli soup with just broth, broccoli, and milk (or cream). Sometimes I flavor it with garlic, and sprinkle parmesan on it before serving. I'd eat that with some kind of protein on the side.
  • firestation12
    Options
    Raspberry Shake: 1.5 cups of 2% milk and 30 raspberries make two glasses of shake.
    4 Slices Light and Crisp WASA bread with 2 slices of Sergento Swiss Cheese or Turkey/Ham
    Graham Snackers: Graham Crackers and PB
    Wrap: Chicken, Bell Pepper, Onion

I also eat around or under 300 calories for lunch. Works for me. I wish there would be more lunch ideas for her and not so much complaining about her calorie intake. That starts to get annoying.
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well today my lunch was 242 calories (336 with juice but you don't need that)
    nothing special xD - Heinz minestrone soup (whole tin) - 126 calories with some frozen mixed veg, cucumber and a potato waffle xD
    Not that healthy i know but it was super filling.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can offer you my breakfast sandwich :love: :

2 slices of good bread (208kcal)
    with mustard (20kcal), ham (24 kcal) and tomatoe slices with tomatoe salt (15kcal)

-> about 275kcal
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just usually take leftovers from the night before and add arugula - not that helpful I know but it's a lot easier than cooking twice in a day.

Sometimes I'll make a huge pasta//barley other grain pasta bowl or a soup on Sunday and have lunch for the entire week.
    This one is my favorite: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/california-barley-bowl-recipe.html
    There are so many good homemade soups you can make on-line!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Check out Pinterest and search "300 calorie meal"-- SO many ideas!

I make a vegetarian chili that's about 100 calories a cup, so I often make a big batch at the beginning of the week and use it as a base for several lunches. The beans make it filling, and even if I add cheese and sour cream and chips or a half sandwich or a salad with dressing, it's still a low-calorie lunch. On non-chili weeks I make a big pot of homemade vegetable soup that's about 70 calories for 10 ounces, which is a lot of soup!

I also sometimes portion out a half serving when I make dinner and eat it for lunch the next day, usually with an extra vegetable.