Sweet potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• gottobethin2014
    Options
    btw do any of these work with butter nut squash? another i find really sweet

believe it or not i am not a fussy eater!

I know I made something with butternut squash, and I can't remember what it was, but I like that cubed and sauteed in olive oil, then sprinkled with salt and pepper, or roasted is delicious, sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. You could roast the sweet potatoes, too, but that might make them sweeter for you, so I don't know if that'll work. I'll see if I can figure out what I made with the butternut squash.

thanks - i am such a pest but its actually annoying me that i dont like these veggies lol i stuck with olives and now i like them so i keep thinking if i stick with them i will eventually like them lol
  • In1bluemoon
    Options
    Put your olive oil in a sprayer and use it instead of Pam. It's much healthier.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I made butternut squash soup, but I can't tell where I got the recipe from. I have it printed out at home. It's probably getting too warm for that, but you could always browse through butternut squash soup recipes and find one that interests you. Or just search butternut squash on a recipe site, like skinnytaste.com, or on the boards here.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato and black bean burritos are awesome! You can also wrap each individually in a paper towel and place in a freezer bag and freeze. When you want one just pull it out and heat for one minute right in the paper towel. So good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/

OMG Thank you for this! I could kiss you in the mouth! lol

Lol, you're welcome

Wanted to add that the recipe calls for kidney beans but black beans are so much better in them!
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    add vinegar in the type of your choice.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cut them into 1/2 inch slices, grill, and toss with 1 T olive oil and 1 T lime juice, adjusting to taste.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I usually slice mine thin and put a coat them with a small amount of olive oil. Toss them in a bag with salf, pepper, and garlic salt and bake for 20 minutes at 350. They taste much less sweet. I like that more than french fries.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just count them as water.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I like my sweet potatoes baked with sour cream.

But if you don't like them there's no reason you need to try to like them.
  • keke4725
    keke4725 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are awesome ideas. I love it!
  • rinteusp
    rinteusp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually steam it in the skin (in the micro), scrape out the pulp and mash it with minced garlic, sea salt and pepper. I also don't like them "sweet".
  • gottobethin2014
    Options
    I like my sweet potatoes baked with sour cream.

But if you don't like them there's no reason you need to try to like them.

I know but I am a bit weird lol
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If you don't like sweet potato because it's too sweet can't you just eat normal potatoes? I'm a bit confused by this question. If you don't like a certain food, don't eat it :flowerforyou:
  • gottobethin2014
    Options
    If you don't like sweet potato because it's too sweet can't you just eat normal potatoes? I'm a bit confused by this question. If you don't like a certain food, don't eat it :flowerforyou:

its just a personal choice thats all - i do like them but find them a bit too sweet
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi

I want to like sweet potato but well it's too sweet :(

Is there anything I can cook it with to see if I can make it less sweet tasting?

Thanks
    If you don't like it don't eat it. There are plenty of other foods out there.
  • skinnyfat1982
    skinnyfat1982 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    peel, dice, season with salt and pepper. chop up some onion. spray your pan with cooking spray then add to pan on medium heat and cover. cook till soft.....kinda weird but its good!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I peel, slice and coat them in OO, place in a dish, cover with a wet paper towel and nuke for a couple of minutes. Then sprinkle with Weber's Smokey Mesquite and cook on the grill for a couple of minutes. We have a George Foreman, so we do it right on the counter top. I have them a couple of times a week. Very good.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There is a good looking recipe on food.com for Wonderful Curried Sweet Potato Soup.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/wonderful-curried-sweet-potato-soup-161324?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/wonderful-curried-sweet-potato-soup-161324?oc=linkback</a&gt;

Not sure if the recipe is posted but it has 85 mostly positive ratings.
  • H4ppyB1rd
    H4ppyB1rd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have had similar feelings about sweet potatoes, in general. However, in addition to liking them fried with seasoning, I do like them baked in the microwave and then salted and mixed with a bit of lemon juice. I've read it also works with orange juice. I think the key though is mix with something sour as some others have mentioned. I've thought about trying it with amchoor powder but haven't gotten around to it yet.

51960473.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter