What if there were no "free refills"?

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you're trolling. Obviously you are either very old, or grew up in a very secluded area to not have the concept of either "free" refills or all you can eat buffets (started over 200 years ago).

The reason fast food joints offer free refills is because its more cost effective and gives the impression that you're getting something "free". Years ago the drink machines were behind the counter. Then they realized they could offload that work to the customer to reduce labor costs and move to the next order faster, thereby increasing profits. With restaurants where wait staff comes to your table, the drink refilling offers the staff the opportunity to check in periodically to try to sell more. It's a win-win. The net cost of soda to the food joints is nearly zilch.

She is definately not trolling because I remember exactly the same things growing up. I too think it is ridiculous that you can refill your softdrinks as often as you want--is that really teaching children self control? I think not. My husband is Italian and when we went home to Minnesota he was agast at the "all you can eat " places. He would throw his arms out wide and say "all you can eat"! As for us "old" folks who remember what it used to be like--just maybe it was better sonny. Another thing, soda when we were young cost alot more and it was considered a treat.

Why are you expecting an food establishment to be the one to teach children self control, isn't that the responsibility of the parent?

Again you have the choice to say no thanks I'll have water. It's a choice
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    My kid never has gotten soda from a restaurants, I order him milk or water. It's definitely my job to teach him about portions, limiting sugar, and so on, not McDonalds fault if parents can't say no!!!!
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Um no. How about self control? If I want another soda and it fits my macros I am having another soda and I shouldn't have to pay for something that is already included.

I agree with this ^^^ If you cannot exercise self control, then that is the problem. There will always be restaurants that give free refills, and you have to be able to limit yourself. The world cannot take the cupcake stores away, or stop you from eating a bag of Oreo cookies at home. Why would we expect or want restaurants to do this?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    This is all fine and dandy guys, but it's just not happening. Everytime I go home to visit there are more and more obese, and young ones with kids--whole families. It's fine to talk about self control, but someone isn't doing it. Look at pictures of the 60's, 70's and you won't see all these huge people. Why is that? There has to be a reason, and I can only tell you the changes I've noticed after 28 years of going back and forth between Italy and the US. Everyone is really defensive on the soft drink issue. It's a huge factor in the fight against obesity, not the only one of course. Since self control obviously isn't working--what do you suggest?
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Please tell me you're trolling. Obviously you are either very old, or grew up in a very secluded area to not have the concept of either "free" refills or all you can eat buffets (started over 200 years ago).

The reason fast food joints offer free refills is because its more cost effective and gives the impression that you're getting something "free". Years ago the drink machines were behind the counter. Then they realized they could offload that work to the customer to reduce labor costs and move to the next order faster, thereby increasing profits. With restaurants where wait staff comes to your table, the drink refilling offers the staff the opportunity to check in periodically to try to sell more. It's a win-win. The net cost of soda to the food joints is nearly zilch.

She is definately not trolling because I remember exactly the same things growing up. I too think it is ridiculous that you can refill your softdrinks as often as you want--is that really teaching children self control? I think not. My husband is Italian and when we went home to Minnesota he was agast at the "all you can eat " places. He would throw his arms out wide and say "all you can eat"! As for us "old" folks who remember what it used to be like--just maybe it was better sonny. Another thing, soda when we were young cost alot more and it was considered a treat.
    Funny how the "older people" like to throw around how younger people this and younger people that. But if someone in there 20's decided to try and use that argument against someone in their 50's they would probably get pounced on.

Well here's a reality check. It's not 1950 anymore. It doesn't matter how cheap things are now compared to back then. It's the parents responsibility to control what kids eat.

Look again at his post. He said "you must be really old" etc etc. That's OK obviously, but my response is not. I know what year it is, and parents---as a whole--are not taking responsibility. I did by the way.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    This is all fine and dandy guys, but it's just not happening. Everytime I go home to visit there are more and more obese, and young ones with kids--whole families. It's fine to talk about self control, but someone isn't doing it. Look at pictures of the 60's, 70's and you won't see all these huge people. Why is that? There has to be a reason, and I can only tell you the changes I've noticed after 28 years of going back and forth between Italy and the US. Everyone is really defensive on the soft drink issue. It's a huge factor in the fight against obesity, not the only one of course. Since self control obviously isn't working--what do you suggest?

It's not soft drinks making people fat, it's because most people don't take responsibility for their own choices anymore and people sit on their butts more while shoving food in their mouths and then we blame someone else for the problem.

It's not my fault I just downed 5000 calories I was forced to eat it because of the marketing.... we have to stop making excuses and stop looking for quick fixes, or other people to blame for it and take personal responsibility for the choices we make. And parents need to stop trying to be friends with their kids and actually be parents

I've never been a big soda drinker, even when I was at my fattest I would have maybe 1 or 2 a month.... so who can I blame for making me fat?
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Uhm, I'm all for self control, I'm 34 and don't need anyone to hold my hand make decisions for me. I'm a big girl and can make them for myself. I very rarely eat out but when I do I have diet soda and maybe a few cups, but it also limits my appetite, and I allow my lil one 1 glass of sprite, and he knows to enjoy it because soda is only for special occasions for him.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    free refills is just a marketing trick. you don't have to be tricked.

anyways in the uk nandos and five guys offer free refills. i try to avoid because as a (ex-hope!) coke lover its better not to have the temptation. i love their food though. the two together: no good :blushing:

also i prefer no refills and Europe is really good at it. no refills. keep it that way.
  • snowflake954
    Options

Funny how the "older people" like to throw around how younger people this and younger people that. But if someone in there 20's decided to try and use that argument against someone in their 50's they would probably get pounced on.

Well here's a reality check. It's not 1950 anymore. It doesn't matter how cheap things are now compared to back then. It's the parents responsibility to control what kids eat.

Look again at his post. He said "you must be really old" etc etc. That's OK obviously, but my response is not. I know what year it is, and parents---as a whole--are not taking responsibility. I did by the way.
    I actually didn't catch that line before you just pointed it out. And no its not ok either. It's dumb to use age on either side as an argument.

I guess I don't consider it an argument. I consider this a discussion. Age unfortunately, enters into it because we are our experiences and can't help that. Today there are alot of fantastic things that we never had--my main entertainment was reading---but there are things that have changed for the worse, and frankly, you should be happy that someone is pointing it out. Perhaps it's time to change again--for the better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Where I live there are no free refills or jumbo meals and there's a lot less processed crap, and I'm grateful for it. Bread is fresh from the bakery and the cheese and meat is local. I just don't see why North Americans have to make everything bigger. I'm from Canada but have grown up in Europe. Here people view the North American "bigger is better" mentality as ludicrous and unnecessary. When you tell them "yeah, but if you have self control then it's not a problem" they'll just answer "yeah, but why should six glasses of coke with a meal even be an option? Why would anyone in their right mind drink that in the first place?"
    In a sense it's true, I notice when I go back to visit family I just binge on crap for 3weeks because I can. Congrats to everyone with self-control but I don't think it should even be necessary.
    I see both sides of the story, I'm all for personal freedoms, don't get me wrong but I just think it's ridiculous to offer people something so bad for them, so cheap in the first place.

wait so you binge when you are in the US but when you are in canada and go to the "bakery" you do not binge on all the goodness in there?????

Re-read the bolded part.
    Read that part again. What's your point? It was stated clearly that when the person that wrote that post visits family a 3 week binge ensues. How is that not lack of self control? That person is taking the when in Rome approach then blaming someone else for offering the food so cheap. That's a great way to not accept personal responsibility.
    I think they were trying to say that they do binge in Canada and are not picking on the USA.

^^That was my point. The poster never mentions the USA. They are saying that when they are in Europe they don't have a problem due to not necessarily needing self-control, but when they're in Canada they do because everything is in their face.

OK - so the poster does not binge in Europe but binges in 'north america" ..I stand corrected…but it is the same difference…
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    There have been versions of government forcing regulations like not servings anything over a "medium" size at baseball parks.. didn't go over well. People are never willing to give up something they were previously allowed to.
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    Some of us are on a fixed income here and enjoy the free refills and buffets very much thank you. Take that highfalluting banning talk back to the drawing board.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Free refills are a great deal for me because I don't usually drink caloric-heavy beverages. So it wouldn't make a difference if there were free refills or not, but I'd certainly not get the value that I get now.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

What the US specifically CAN do is to stop subsidies on certain crops so corn sugar isn't so darn cheap in the first place.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have lived in 16 different countries in the last 40 years and never in a culture with free refills. I am not a soft drink drinker, but on my visits to the US I found it nice to get a free refill on coffee.....of course, often the coffee was not good enough to consider a refill....lol, but the gesture was appreciated.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Has anyone thought about looking at what is IN those foods now as opposed to 'back in the day'? Or how things are made now versus how they were made 'back then'?
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

What the US specifically CAN do is to stop subsidies on certain crops so corn sugar isn't so darn cheap in the first place.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You could try not eating out.

You could also try saying no when they ask if you want more. The only problem is when the server automatically takes your glass away while asking you for another refill.. before you even get to say no, they are so fast, sheesh.

i personally hate when my glass is half full and they think i need a refill.

You could order milk, there is no auto refill on that.