kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    No.

Excess calories do.

DITTO
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    In reply to the post above. But we are not mice!

Im not a follower of low carb diets as such, but I did notice today that I was not a bit peckish till midday, and the last thing I ate yesterday was roast veg. So I concur that adding fat keeps you fuller longer. Plus I do keep coming across articles which suggest "unused" carbs are stored as fat and the fat you eat is not. That said I still believe if you burn ALL the carbs you eat each day there can be no surplus to turn into fat.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    No....I eat carbs daily. Love pasta and rice, I just pair it with my meat/poultry, with a side of veggies and fruit. I have lost 82 lbs and 7 jean sizes.
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    [q
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    No, eating too much makes you fat.
  • gossipkween
    gossipkween Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    This thread has too much focus on weight and not enough on health. Too much of any food or food type puts pressures on your body's internal organs in one way or another.

And I will say for the record that I'm anti-vegan purely for health reasons, too little of some foods also coming with problems. As long as you are getting your vitamin levels checked on a regular basis and supplementing those that are impossible to get on a vegan diet (B12) you should be able to avoid most of the worst health problems.

But getting enough protein without overdoing the calories is more difficult. Nuts are a great source, but are high in calories. Beans another, but then you get back into the carbs. Many of the soy sources of protein are made from unfermented soy which is an endocrine disruptor (messes up your hormones). Fermented soy should be fine. If you could find a source of eggs that meets your criteria for humane treatment of animals (raise your own), you might be able to get around most of the issues.

Avocado, broccoli, spinach, peas, artichoke, and asparagus might be your best sources of protein.

But you could also modify your workout routine to include more stamina training that doesn't require as much protein to build and repair muscle, ie. go for a walk rather than do cross fit training. It would take longer, but it may just work better for your nutritional constraints.