Couch to 5k

Options

Replies

• taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've been splitting my workouts...rather than doing weight training and cardio in the same trip, I'll do one or the other. It works out better for me that way, even though I'm sometimes going to the gym twice a day.

You're probably right, though a) I don't think I'm yet working out THAT intensely (compared with what others post) and b) I find it hard to make time for the gym as-is. Twice a day is not going to happen. (Not to mention, I am SOAKED after the gym, so need to shower etc, which takes time, and I work full time.)

Today I went running outside for the first time since secondary school, and for the first time ever voluntarily. Well, "running", because I'm slow anyhow, and I'm especially slow on ice-covered trails (ha!), with surely sub-optimal shoes (not wearing my gym-only running shoes but Merrell light trail walking shoes). So I sometimes ran/walked on the snow-covered grass, jumping over logs, and sometimes right on the packed icy snow -- in which case locomotion meant putting one foot RIGHT in front of the other (and puffing like a locomotive). Anyhow, I wasn't sure if I would run at all, so I started walking only to the week 1 podcast, but then did some of the segments, ending up with three. By then I was on a roll and when the week 2 podcast came around I did the entire thing, and then on my way home the first 1.5 min run of week 3. Very very very slowly (indeed, according to my GPS, my walking and running speeds were virtually identical). Covered distance: 6 km (about 3 3/4 miles).
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 was tough but I got it done! Going from week 3 to week 4 is a big difference in the amount of time jogging. Hope everyone is still hanging in there...we can do this!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    second week in a row i've gotten sick! i feel behind!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    It happens to every one. just commit to getting back at it as soon as you feel ready.
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    It happens to every one. just commit to getting back at it as soon as you feel ready.

i def will!! just may have to repeat a bit! :(
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 now, the last week with intervals. Tomorrow is day 2. Day 1 was really hard on me for certain *cough* female reasons, but I think I'll have a better time with day two tomorrow as I'm feeling fine now. This is my absolute last day with any walking, and I'm getting really nervous about the constant jogging. I'd love to be able to tell you all it's a lot easier than you think, but I guess we'll see. How's everyone doing with this?
  • meanness67
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 done! Definitely easier than Monday was. That means Friday should be a breeze!

I have noticed I have an easier time doing this if I do it first thing in the morning as opposed to after work when I've been on my feet all day (sometimes in heels). Good incentive to get out of bed early.
  • gahdzila
    Options
    I'm on week 6 now, the last week with intervals. Tomorrow is day 2. Day 1 was really hard on me for certain *cough* female reasons, but I think I'll have a better time with day two tomorrow as I'm feeling fine now. This is my absolute last day with any walking, and I'm getting really nervous about the constant jogging. I'd love to be able to tell you all it's a lot easier than you think, but I guess we'll see. How's everyone doing with this?

I've been slacking off a bit during Christmas, but I'm back on board now. I'm officially on week 7 day 3, but I think I may repeat week 7 before moving on to week 8, as it has taken me almost 2 weeks to finish week7. Week 6 was scary for me, too. Week 6 day 3 (the first 25 minutes straight run) was pretty hard, but week 7 day 2 (which was Monday for me) went surprisingly well. I even bumped up the speed on the treadmill towards the end of my run because I was feeling so good!

I don't think I'd tell anyone it's easy at all. It's definitely hard work. But it's something I thought was completely impossible for me just a few short months ago, and now I'm doing it! I get a huge amount of satisfaction out of being able to tell friends and coworkers, "I think I'll head to the gym and run a couple of miles." :-) I know I'm not a pro athlete or anything, but I'm extremely proud of how far I've come.
  • mandyshell
    Options
    I'm working on re-doing Week 3 right now. Since gorging myself at Christmas and not working out at all for a few days, Week 4 was impossible. I tried day 1, but I couldn't even get through the first 3 min run. So I re-did W3D1 last night and made it. I got a new treadmill for Christmas too and it runs a little different that the ones I'm used to at the gym. So I'm getting used to that too. But, I'll attempt Week 4 again starting this weekend and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!!
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 was tough but I got it done! Going from week 3 to week 4 is a big difference in the amount of time jogging. Hope everyone is still hanging in there...we can do this!

Just finished Week 3. Thinking I might repeat it after what you said about Week 4. I might just give Week 4 a try and if the 1st one is too much then I'll repeat.
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    W1 D3 complete
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    keep it up everyone!!! great job!!
  • meanness67
    Options
    Week 4 Done!

Hope everyone has a safe, happy, healthy New Year!
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    you guys are awesome!!! i'm hoping to get back at it next week... i'll probably be repeating some of week2... since its been so long :(
  • gahdzila
    Options
    Repeated Week 7 today. At the suggestion of another member, I added a 1% incline to the treadmill. She said it was more natural and more similar to actual running on ground and better on the joints. It did feel more natural, but, as expected, I did have to expend a bit more effort. Not bad, but I definitely noticed.

I've heard that running on a treadmill with 1% incline is, effort-wise, equivalent to running outdoors ;-) That makes me feel a little better. I was afraid to add incline because I was scared I couldn't do it...but at the same time, I felt like I was short-changing myself because running on a treadmill with no incline is easier than running on flat ground. No worries anymore!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm still labouring with week 2. Went out today and did it in the nearby park, which is quite hilly. I had to delay the start of the 5th running segment because my pulse was still close to 160 bpm, but I extended the last one and added two short ones. I'll probably do week 2 once more before trying week 3.
  • meanness67
    Options
    Repeated Week 7 today. At the suggestion of another member, I added a 1% incline to the treadmill. She said it was more natural and more similar to actual running on ground and better on the joints. It did feel more natural, but, as expected, I did have to expend a bit more effort. Not bad, but I definitely noticed.

I've heard that running on a treadmill with 1% incline is, effort-wise, equivalent to running outdoors ;-) That makes me feel a little better. I was afraid to add incline because I was scared I couldn't do it...but at the same time, I felt like I was short-changing myself because running on a treadmill with no incline is easier than running on flat ground. No worries anymore!

I always have my treadmill at least at 1% incline. It does make it feel more natural.
  • meanness67
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 completed this morning.

Where is everyone???
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    I'm here... I need to get back to it... I'm going to repeat a day of w2 this week... and then hopefully move on to week 3!
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Starting Week 4 today!