What is your favorite healthy meal?

13»

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    I've been on a serious beef kick lately.... So I have been getting london broils, I marenade them in an oil, soy and vinegar based dressing that I make. Grill it, then slice it super thin. On the grill I will put a mixture of asparagus, broccoli and sometimes carrots with a little EVOO, garlic and cracked black pepper. YUM.

And the best part is the leftovers.... just cook 3/4 cup of your fav pasta toss in the chopped steak and veggies, add a little zesty italian dressing some grape tomato. OMG, quick easy and refreshing lunch!
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Could I have the recipe for that cajun chicken sausage burger? Sounds interesting.

I'll second that request. Sounds real good!
  • Lisa_Dubh
    Lisa_Dubh Posts: 35 Member
    I made my own Meat Sung last night and it was super delicious!
    Really easy and filling and low on calories!
    I also came across this on MFP and I want to try it as it looks amazing:

http://www.pinkspantry.com/2013/06/shredded-chicken-cabbage-rolls.html

Hope this helps, eating healthy can feel like it's really repetitive :/
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    I love turkey tacos with homemade pico de gallo. I'm going to have to try that black bean burger recipe, though, since I buy dried beans in bulk and I need new ideas for all the beans. :)

Spaghetti squash is really delicious, too, although I can't get my kids to enjoy it. Maybe if I covered it in cheetos.
  • Czechster
    Czechster Posts: 9 Member
    This is very helpful! Thank you everyone for sharing your great ideas :smile:
  • How do you make your chilli?
  • What brand of sausages do you use?
  • segastler Taco Salad does sound yummy
  • Any white fish (defrosted frozen is fine) dredged lightly in flour and pan fried with a scant amount of oil (I use an oil sprayer). Serve with Salsa Verde (http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/salsa-verde-1149) and boiled potatoes with a cucumber salad. You can make the salsa verde in big batches and freeze it. Also good on other meats.

A small steak with green salad and oven fries. For the oven fries cut up potatoes (you can leave the skins on), microwave for 3-5 minutes. Place in an oiled oven tray and spray with oil, or just toss in a little oil if you don't have a sprayer. Bake at 230C for 20 minutes, turning halfway.

That sounds good I am definitely gonna have to try the oven fries
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    "Healthy" is highly subjective...most things are "healthy" in proper portions. I cook most of my meals from scratch, whole ingredients...everything I make is "healthy"...I eat all manner of meat, poultry, seafood and cook with olive oil, butter, coconut oil, etc. I eat lots of vegetables and have a couple servings of fruit per day and also eat lots of nuts and avocados, etc.

The problem many people have is simply a lack of understanding of proper nutrition...not understanding for example, that fat is actually a very essential macro-nutrient and should be consumed in proper quantities. There's just this notion that "healthy" means just eating chicken breasts, brown rice, and broccoli and nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm also a foodie so I don't really have one singular favorite dish...I thoroughly enjoy food and need variety...but one thing I really look forward to at the moment is:

- Grilled Blackened Salmon
    - Brown Rice Pilaf (browned with onion in coconut oil and then cooked in chicken broth)
    - Sauteed Zuchini/Broccoli medley (sauteed in olive oil)
  • I love home made turkey burgers & mango & avocado salsa.
    So easy to make, freeze well and the fruity salsa stops my cravings for desert.

I love to cook & rarely measure, normally throw in things as I find them in my fridge.

Turkey Burgers:
    Pack of ground turkey mince.
    Half a red chilli, diced into little bits
    Quarter green pepper, diced into little bits
    Quarter red onion, diced into little bits
    Coriander (or Cilantro if you're from the US)
    Salt & pepper to season.

Mix it all up in a big bowl. Split out into burgers. I usually make 8 and freeze them.
    Pop under the grill, or BBQ and cook until cooked through but still juicy.
    You can serve as is, or sometimes I serve them 'protein style' - wrapped in a lettuce leaf with the salsa. I've even popped a slice of grilled haloumi cheese in there.

Mango salsa:
    Half a Mango (or half a cup of frozen mango)
    1/8 cup sweet corn (can use frozen)
    1/2 avacado, cubed
    1 tomatoe, diced
    Red Chilli, as desired
    Handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
    1 thick slice of red onion, diced into little bits
    Half a fresh lime, squeezed
    Salt & pepper.

I find this makes about 3 decent serves. 2 for dinner for my husband and myself and then a portion for lunch the next day.

Serve burgers with a Kale Salad, with a squeeze of lemon instead of dressing.

I also have a great recipe for Raw Chocolate.

Raw Chocolate is actually GOOD for you and tastes as good, if not better than the stuff packed with refined sugar.
    I always have a batch in the fridge for when I get my chocolate cravings.
    Your mould will determine the size and qty and therefore the calorie content.

The recipe is really simple and you can get the ingredients from any good health store:
    1 cup raw cacao powder
    3/4 extra virgin coconut oil
    2 tbs Agave

If your coconut oil is solid, heat over a bowl of warm water until melted.
    Mix all ingredients in a bowl, pour into moulds and set/keep in the fridge.

Enjoy!

Sounds Amazziinnnggg Thanks
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    My fave veggie chilli:

1 brown onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    Some oil
    Half a red chilli pepper, chopped finely
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 tin kidney beans (400gr), drained and rinsed
    2 tins chopped tomatoes (800gr)
    One cup frozen sweetcorn
    Chilli powder
    Ground cumin
    Any other veggies you have lying around, like carrot, cooked lentils, peas, black beans etc (optional)

Heat up oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until glazed and turning brown. Add the chilli pepper, ground cumin and chilli powder. Cook for a couple of seconds to let out the flavours. Add the bell pepper. Stir around for a bit.
    Add the chopped tomatoes, beans, sweetcorn and the optional other veggies.
    Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Bagel with Tuscan filling:

Wholemeal bagel
    Green pesto
    Light mozzarella or hummus
    Black olives
    Roasted cherry tomatoes (drizzle with olive oil, stick in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 200C)
    Pine nuts
    Basil leaves
    Rocket

Slice open bagel. Stick in the other ingredients.
    I personally tend to leave out the olives, because I don't like them. Still really good that way. You can also use other bread.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Any white fish (defrosted frozen is fine) dredged lightly in flour and pan fried with a scant amount of oil (I use an oil sprayer). Serve with Salsa Verde (http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/salsa-verde-1149) and boiled potatoes with a cucumber salad. You can make the salsa verde in big batches and freeze it. Also good on other meats.

A small steak with green salad and oven fries. For the oven fries cut up potatoes (you can leave the skins on), microwave for 3-5 minutes. Place in an oiled oven tray and spray with oil, or just toss in a little oil if you don't have a sprayer. Bake at 230C for 20 minutes, turning halfway.
    thanks for sharing :flowerforyou: