Nervous for my first 10k in over a year

Options
vmclach
vmclach Posts: 670 Member
I'm looking for advice from experienced runners on how to run a 10k. I am nervous. I always get really tired around mile 2-3. Sometimes I feel like I have trouble breathing & my legs get REALLY heavy. I get soooo out of tired. My legs and lungs hurt so bad! I always feel like I want to quit every time I run.. I ALwAYS get passed by a lot of people at the end of races.

HELP

PS- not trying to break any records. I'd be happy with ~43 min

Replies

• nurserunnermom
    nurserunnermom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 10 K in 11 days from now! My first question is have you done a training program? 10 K is nothing to sneeze at and the key is have built up slowly to be able to do the distance. What sort of training have you done so far?
  • vmclach
    Options
    I haven't really been training specifically for a 10k which is why I'm so worried. I have maybe done 1 workout for this race. I'm in pretty good shape otherwise. I think I will be able to "wing it"... Good luck on your race!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You know you are in shape to run 10K, so it's really just about race strategy. Although I usually tell people to go out faster than their goal pace for a 10K, given what you have said here and that your strength is longer distances I'd suggest going about 10 seconds slower than your goal pace for the first mile, then gradually build up steam. If you are shooting for ~43 minutes, that's a 6:55 pace. So go out at a 7:05 pace and gradually progress into race pace.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You haven't done any training and you are thinking 43 min is achievable? I think I know why you run out of steam at mile 2-3...
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Your pace is probably too fast. Shoot for a pace you can comfortably carry on a conversation with another person. Once you build up your stamina for that, speed will come.
  • vmclach
    Options
    You haven't done any training and you are thinking 43 min is achievable? I think I know why you run out of steam at mile 2-3...

I know... It's really embaressing. I usually go out as one of the first females, but I usually get passed by them all after the 1st mile
  • vmclach
    Options
    Slow down. Your pace is probably too fast. Shoot for a pace you can comfortably carry on a conversation with another person. Once you build up your stamina for that, speed will come.

I can barely speak after the first 2 miles of a 5k or 10k... Is that too fast?
  • vmclach
    Options
    If you are shooting for ~43 minutes, that's a 6:55 pace. So go out at a 7:05 pace and gradually progress into race pace.

43 min is more "worst case"... I'd really like to run in the 41s!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Depending on when your race is, if you have time build your base up. Which is basically run a few more miles each week (not too much more too fast though). These should be EASY runs, save the race for race day.

Be sure to taper down the 3 days before the race so you have fresh legs. On race day, watch your pace, what you describe is basically what happens when you start out too fast.

On race day, given the race experience you described so far, do the first 5k at a pretty easy pace, take a watch and check every 1k to be sure your not out too fast, then race the last 5k. It's much more fun to pass people at the end rather than the start of the race. Also, don't let the crowd drag you out too fast. If the race is crowded at the start, don't try to weave through it either, wait for things to clear and there are opportunities to pass. Jumping around side to side is an energy killer.

Good Luck
  • vmclach
    Options
    That's great advice! Thanks. The race is this Saturday, so the "hay is in the barn"... No time to train. I just need to not go out like a hot rocket :O !
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

Yes, it is. Think of your energy for a run like a gas tank. You can floor it and go 100 and burn through the gas super fast or you can go slower, say 60, and make it to your destination without hitchhiking. You can burn yourself out. A 10k is 6 miles, you need to plan accordingly. Most people plan for negative splits, meaning as they progress in the race, they start going faster for their mile times. It means conserving your energy in the beginning for a strong finish.
  • vmclach
    Options

Yes, it is. Think of your energy for a run like a gas tank. You can floor it and go 100 and burn through the gas super fast or you can go slower, say 60, and make it to your destination without hitchhiking. You can burn yourself out. A 10k is 6 miles, you need to plan accordingly. Most people plan for negative splits, meaning as they progress in the race, they start going faster for their mile times. It means conserving your energy in the beginning for a strong finish.

What if I get tired either way? :(
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I always end a 5k in a full blown asthma attack. If you aren't puking, you didn't go fast enough!
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

Well of course you'll be tired, you're running after all. But have you actually tried slowing down? Really?

And as for ending a 5k with a full blown asthma attack, 5ks are half the distance, you can push harder for a shorter amount of time and end on a really strong note. I sprint the ends of my races, no matter what, maybe with the exception of a marathon. But that doesn't mean I was sprinting the entire time.

Different distance races, different paces. Or just go all out and see what happens. It just depends on how and when you want to finish.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You're 22... think of your ovaries!
  • vmclach
    Options
    You're 22... think of your ovaries!

I had a stranger at a race tell me to be careful as I am young & running will cause me to become infertile :O
  • vmclach
    Options

Well of course you'll be tired, you're running after all. But have you actually tried slowing down? Really?

And as for ending a 5k with a full blown asthma attack, 5ks are half the distance, you can push harder for a shorter amount of time and end on a really strong note. I sprint the ends of my races, no matter what, maybe with the exception of a marathon. But that doesn't mean I was sprinting the entire time.

Different distance races, different paces. Or just go all out and see what happens. It just depends on how and when you want to finish.

I ran slow at my first 10k in fear not not finishing. I could have ran much faster.

I can't find the balance
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    43 minutes is a pretty good clip for a 10k. I agree with the others, take the first 5k easy and pick it up towards the end. I have found that practicing this strategy during training runs really helps me mentally. Good luck!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I ran slow at my first 10k in fear not not finishing. I could have ran much faster.

I can't find the balance

I think you just need experience at the distance.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There is a cognitive disconnect between failing to train for a race distance then thinking you should run a pace that is a top ten female finisher in many 10k races. Either train appropriately or set realistic goals based on what you've done.
This discussion has been closed.