Eating back burnt calories,defeating the object?

Options
Who eats back their burned calories?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Do you mean eating back exercise calories defeat the purpose of losing weight?

I eat back at least half of my exercise calories and continue to lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I did NEAT method I did...I understood MFP had already given me a deficet so it was great to be able to exercise for treats etc.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I do!
    I eat back about half of them or more if I'm really hungry.

21525558.png
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat them all back and lick my plate.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options

yeah,I don't understand burning off all them calories then eating them back.Makes no sense to me
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat them all back. Maybe only half, if I have a good day.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options

yeah,I don't understand burning off all them calories then eating them back.Makes no sense to me
    It makes sense if you consider that you are already starting out at a deficit. Not eating back at least some of the calories you burn COULD potentially leave you with insufficient nutrition.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Working out isn't exclusively about losing weight. Lots of people enjoy exercise and it makes them feel good. Getting to eat more is a tasty, tasty, side effect.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

It makes sense if you consider that you are already starting out at a deficit. Not eating back at least some of the calories you burn COULD potentially leave you with insufficient nutrition.

^^^This. And that's all folks.
  • felonebeats
    Options
    I'm in a 700 calorie deficit a day.My maintenance is 2700.I do 5 days a week of high volume intense weightlifting and never eat back my calories
  • redskiednight
    redskiednight Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Exercise for fitness,
    Deficit for weight.
    MFP has me on a net deficit, ergo I eat my exercise calories. See ticker for results :)
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    MFP already puts you at a deficit. So by not eating back some/all of those calories lost, you put yourself at a bigger deficit. And depending on your set goal for the day, you could fall below 1200.

If you set goal is 1700 and you burn 600, well then you only ate 1100 that day.
  • felonebeats
    Options

^^^rubbish,depends if your hitting your macros etc
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I eat back 2/3 of my burnt calories to try and account for overstated burns on exercise equipment and MFP.

Even so, I have only had 2 weeks where I gained since joining MFP in October and the last two weeks I've seen my biggest drops (most likely the combination of the three run/training days a week for a 5K at the end of May and dogsitting which means I'm doing 1-2 20-30 minute walks a day on top of my other activity).

I don't think eating back your calories will stall your results.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

^^^rubbish,depends if your hitting your macros etc

Says the guy with a closed diary.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm in a 700 calorie deficit a day.My maintenance is 2700.I do 5 days a week of high volume intense weightlifting and never eat back my calories
    So, 2700 is a 700 calorie deficit? I think you are fine not eating back calories.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    MFP already calculates a calorie deficiency into the initial number it generates for you (goal calories). When you exercise, you create a larger deficient. For some people this may not give them enough calories to fuel the body to burn fat. With others, it allows for more food like treats while still achieving weight loss. Not everyone eats back their calories. It all depends on the individual. If you could maintain a healthy weight loss rate without eating back the calories then by all means do what works for you.
  • felonebeats
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks I guess.Just never understood it myself
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I started dieting and my limit was 1450kcal I almost never ate them back
    Now my limit is 1240kcal. I almost cannot do this without sport. I get hungry!
    So now I usually eat about half of them back (about 200kcal), assuming that those burned calories are overestimated anyways.

I used a lot of exercise for increasing my weight loss progress and I was pretty successfull with that. Now my goal is closer than ever and I now that progress has to slow down at some point....
  • felonebeats
    Options
    So, 2700 is a 700 calorie deficit? I think you are fine not eating back calories.

No,2700 is my maintenance calories,I'm eating 2000,hence a 700 deficit