Is WEIGHT GAIN caused by genetics or not? **For my Paper**

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Genetics affects your body type, metabolism, and how well you may absorb some nutrients, but weight gain is still from consuming more calories than you burn above your individual TDEE.

But genetics (largely) determines whether someone will eat above their TDEE.

In the end it all comes back to...."because science".
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. This is all anecdotal, but here is my experience....I have a large extended family, and everyone (I mean EVERYONE) is very overweight or obese unless they pay strict attention to their diet and exercise habits. This goes back to when there wasn't a fast food joint on every corner and people ate healthy, home cooked meals. Pictures of my grandmother and aunt in the early 1940's show that they were obese, especially in the trunk/abdominal/facial area. This is in their teens and early 20's! My grandmother then had 5 daughters that grew up to be obese. The odd thing is that all of them, including my grandmother, naturally lost weight after menopause, no dietary restrictions or exercise needed and then were healthy (or semi-healthy) weights. Usually people gain weight after menopause/with middle age. Anyway, those 5 daughters went on to have 13 children, and all of them grew up to be overweight or obese- at first.

Here's the kicker- there are people of a healthy weight in my family and people who have lost huge amounts of weight (myself being one who lost over 100 pounds). The key seems to be that each of these individuals exercises consistently and at a challenging level. My brother is a marathon runner. I am the cardio queen. Other cousins lift weights and do cardio machines. Weight loss was slow and difficult for all of us, but we did it.

I honestly think that some people really do have genetic traits that make their metabolisms slower. My answer to that is oh well....Life is tough. Having a slow metabolism is actually good in nature. It is related to a longer life span. In humans, if you can eat to your lower metabolic level and therefore stay at a healthy weight, you will more than likely live long.

My family history tells me intuitively that there are genetic factors at play in obesity. People can disagree with this all they want and probably show you research to back it up, but there are SO many things that scientists/doctors don't know about the human body and nature that there is no way to definitively say that genetics do not play a role. We don't know what hasn't been discovered yet!

So anyway, yes, I do think it plays a role. However, I also believe that there are factors that we can control and that your genes do not have to be your curse.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I am half Czech. My father's side is 1&2nd generation of-the-boat Czech. Metabolic disease aside, I do NOT believe excess weight gain is genetic.

My grandmother 4' 11" tall, lived to be 100, developed type 2 diabetes at the tender young age of 90. She was at a normal weight and worked like a field hand well into her 90's shoving folks who got in her way, aside, with a rapid barrage of Czech that translated to,"Don't treat me like an invalid I can still kick your *kitten*, kid".

Grandfather tall, lanky for his entire life. He lived into his 70's He did not develop diabetes. Hard worker as well.

Uncle Ed. IDK. He lived a long time tho.When I saw him in his 50's he was at a normal weight.

My auties 2 were short, normal weight, lived to 95 (other one is still alive at 93) developed diabetes in their 80's. Worked hard and cooked everything from scratch. They also kept immaculate homes and took walks for exercise.

My dad and the auntie I took after in looks but not personality. Both were very tall, lanky and skinny until middle age. Rapid weight gain, diabetes, and a host of health problems followed morbid obesity in their 50's. Both lived to be 85 and died of complications from obesity, diabetes and congestive heart failure. I can't believe they lived that long weighing over 300lbs each. They weren't into hard work, ate out instead of cooking and kept a messy home.

I am tall, lanky and look like a cross between my dad and the tall, heavy sister. My father, ever Little Miss Mary Sunshine, assured me for most of my life, that I would get "hugely fat" like he and the sister I took after. I made different choices. The same choices my grandmother, smaller aunties and grandfather made. I work hard and don't eat too much.

For a normal person, without disease, do not eat more than you burn.
  • redskiednight
    redskiednight Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That you would take to MPF forums **for your paper** pains me on an academic level.

This. Also why would this topic be suited to an English paper and not a science subject? :noway:

ETA: Some disorders, such as PCOS are different for some individuals. I for one have PCOS and while I can't say it doesn't mess with my metabolism, I only got 70lbs overweight by stuffing myself with bad foods. Can't blame the PCOS for that, and I seem to be losing at a good, steady rate!
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    I am not familiar with POTS at all. I hope you do well and thank you for your kind posts.
    The electrolyte issue is huge for these disorders. I was once ordered back to the hospital from a routine blood test as my sodium was so low, they said I was going to have a heart attack. I love salt, but it does not metabolize well enough in me. Hence, I MUST eat sodium. Your wife's disease does sound genetic to me, but I am not familiar with it. In contract, all of us in both disease groups much eat low fat, higher carb. Exercise is very difficult. When I was young, I could. And I did, for grueling hours a day trying to keep my weight off. Now at age 54, I go into spasms - which is running out of fuel- without exercise. When I say spasms- I have what I consider a normal level, for me. What I try to avoid is ones that are like a woman screaming in labor. I am going to try marching in place at at least 120 steps per minute and see if I can add ANY exercise at all. I am all about avoiding crisis, I do house work in bits and pieces. I would love to have my energy back- I do all kins of things and take all kinds of things to improve it. Again, I will not win, but I can make it better!

this is how I am going to calculate MARCHING IN PLACE:

Timing your walking while on your virtual treadmill, along with performing some simple math, will tell you how many calories you are burning. For each half-hour you march in place at a normal brisk pace of 120 steps per minute (about 3.5 miles per hour), you will burn an amount of calories that equals your weight in pounds.

In other words, if you weigh 150 pounds, marching in place on the virtual treadmill will burn 150 calories each half-hour, or 300 calories each hour.

To find out how many calories you are burning per minute, simply divide 150 calories per half-hour by 30 minutes, or divide 300 calories per hour by 60 minutes, which, in this case, equals 5 calories per minute.

keep in mind I am not trying to discredit your disorder and I completely understand what you go through. I spend the last 3 years with my wife in and out of hospitals. No only does she have an orthostatic intolerance (inability to regulate blood volume/pressure), she had a ruptured gallbladder, pancreatitis, and diverticulitis. With her condition, like yours, she has an electrolyte imbalance. In fact, water dehydrates her. When she drinks water, she adds an electrolyte tablet to ensure she maintains a healthy balance. She also drinks coconut waters as they are naturally high in electrolytes. Her diet has to be high fat, low carb, no gluten. Her resting heart rate is generally around 85-100 bpm and after she goes from sitting to standing it can go as high as 140. Due to her bodies inability to regulate her heart beat and blood pressure, cardio is not an option for her. In fact, I have developed a weight training program that works at her pace, to help aid the blood flow process.

Is POTS genetic.... probably not. There hasn't been any evidence in the community, that I have seen, that would suggest it is. But based on the information someone posted early, there aren't many genetic diseases that effect weight. I apologize if you think I was attacking you (BTW, my avatar is a lemon on a skateboard) but I wasn't. I was suggesting that genetics do not play a lot in terms of weight management. Even those with these metabolic disorders CAN be skinny or overweight. Those overweight, can become skinny through the understanding of nutritional requirements and dietary needs. Also, take into consideration that most of these metabolic disorders are RARE. And when write a paper, you want to address the majority first and caveat those outside the normal.

I also have POTS and Supraventricular tachycardia. My resting heart rate goes as high as 210 bpm (at which point I am hospitalized). From the research I have done and what I have studied in school, I also don't believe POTS is genetic. No one in my family has it.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Do your own homework :./
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Genetics may give a person a predisposition or increased likelihood of weight (or specifically fat) gain but that does not mean the gain is inevitable.

Heredity is not destiny as the saying goes...

BEST answer!

I agree with this, from my personal experience. My parents are both very active and healthy and have what might be called a "good" metabolism. While I was living at home with them, I ate what they ate and did the things they did. I was very active. But I was always a bit chubby. One or two nasty people commented about how two thin people could have a fat child. It seems like I "took after" both of my grandmothers in terms of my metabolism.

When I got older and moved out, my weight became a bigger problem because I made poor choices. That is totally my fault for making those choices and that is what I am trying to change now.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    And that was the point. I said something way out of line, and of course you took offense. You should. It was cruel what I posted. I was getting people telling me that the "jest" of it was OK. It is not.

So, I posted a response that was inappropriate trying to make people understand, it is not funny. To put up a picture mocking genetic disorders to a thread discussing it is wrong. As people defended it as a harmless joke (in part), I responded myself.

there is a societal acceptance that it is ok to mock fat people. It has gone on forever. What I said was equally tasteless. If it is defendable to mock those with genetic diseases, then it is defendable for people to answer them.

You are right, I was intentionally unkind. Some people got the message- others still do not. What he person did in the context of this thread was wrong. Especially to me, as a person with a genetic disorder. Unfortunately, the site did not remove the photo. I did complain.

Thank you for being upset with my comment. You should.

Thank you for the kind words. I do think the person posting will serve a great purpose to my cause someday…..I think they would make a fine organ donor!

So you think it's okay to insinuate that someone would only be good for organ donation because they posted an obviously joking picture that you didn't approve of? You sound like a real treat.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Ahhh, so two wrongs make a right in your world? I get it now.

oh, and can you tell me how you came to the conclusion that the woman in the picture has a genetic disorder? When the photo is clearly a joke about people who use "genetic disorder" as a scapegoat when in reality, their fridge is just filled with "junk".
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated, your genetics will likely determine what your TDEE is. My husband for example, would love to gain weight. He can easily eat 4000 - 5000 calories a day, and not gain weight. His TDEE is very high, so it's difficult for him to eat above it enough to gain pounds. Now if I ate 4000 calories a day, I'd gain weight very rapidly.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Individual differences in weight at the population level are predicted by weight. Some people have an easier time putting on (or keeping off) weight than others.

Individual differences in weight at both the individual and population level are also determined by food consumption and behavior. AS A POPULATION in the US, we have become heavier in the last 50 years. Our genetics hasn't changed. Our behavior has.

Estimates of heritability (genetics) are based on correlations: the fattest people will have fattest parents, the skinniest people will have the skinniest parents (if everyone ate the same diet). That's about populations not individuals. But MEANS (who is fatter on average) are determined by environment.

(Sorry I study both statistics and human development.)
  • turtlesaver
    Options
    You could also watch: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/why-are-thin-people-not-fat/
    It's a little light on the science, but it is a very interesting documentary.
  • MrsRatfire
    Options
    The thread was asking if it was credible that genetics do not affect weight or do they. I was one of the early people to post, knowing that the general conception of this is it does not exist. Which it does. And the people are terribly sick. Most MD, FOD Disorders, Glycogen Uptake Disorders….and a thousand more. Metabolic issues kill many people, many infants and babies. They also end up with people becoming immobilized- in wheel chairs, needing constant blood transfusions until they give up and die, organ transplants- liver, kidneys, heart- which none of them will ever get- they will die, and yes weight gain. I could give you a hundred more symptoms of people in just these TWO categories of disorders, which also will cause weight gain as a symptom as we do not metabolize correctly.

So no. Those of us who have these diseases, in our spare time between transplants, do not find posts about genetic diseases as "in jest". I also survived cancer. I hope someone finds that funny and puts up a photo of someone who lost a limb from that! Are you saying that would be the same thing? I doubt it, you would recognize it as cruel at once. So was this.

As the photo is labeled, that is is her genetic disorder, than what else could be concluded?

My ability to read was how I sorted this out. I think that was your question. How did I determine it was in reference to people with genetic disorders? As it was labeled. It was entered into a thread about Genetic Disorders and Weight.

I think I was clear as to why I assumed she meant it was about disorders of the genetic kinds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have .
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The thread was asking if it was credible that genetics do not affect weight or do they. I was one of the early people to post, knowing that the general conception of this is it does not exist. Which it does. And the people are terribly sick. Most MD, FOD Disorders, Glycogen Uptake Disorders….and a thousand more. Metabolic issues kill many people, many infants and babies. They also end up with people becoming immobilized- in wheel chairs, needing constant blood transfusions until they give up and die, organ transplants- liver, kidneys, heart- which none of them will ever get- they will die, and yes weight gain. I could give you a hundred more symptoms of people in just these TWO categories of disorders, which also will cause weight gain as a symptom as we do not metabolize correctly.

So no. Those of us who have these diseases, in our spare time between transplants, do not find posts about genetic diseases as "in jest". I also survived cancer. I hope someone finds that funny and puts up a photo of someone who lost a limb from that! Are you saying that would be the same thing? I doubt it, you would recognize it as cruel at once. So was this.

As the photo is labeled, that is is her genetic disorder, than what else could be concluded?

My ability to read was how I sorted this out. I think that was your question. How did I determine it was in reference to people with genetic disorders? As it was labeled. It was entered into a thread about Genetic Disorders and Weight.

I think I was clear as to why I assumed she meant it was about disorders of the genetic kinds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have .
    I'm really trying to figure out why you think every post in this thread is in response to you. You really need to understand how the internet and forums work.

OP, genetics play a role in most things, and while there are somethings we can't change about our genetics, that does not mean that having a predisposition to being overweight dictates how you will live. Like many things, it's a combination of both nature and nurture/genetics and environment.
  • MrsRatfire
    Options
    Well, many were about genetic diseases and weight. On that topic, I certainly know more than many people. And I do not think responding to that means I am taking it personally, unless I am saying exactly that. Many of the posts were general. Yours however is not. My conclusion that many of the threads were in reference to me as they were addressed to me.

Again, that is how I boiled that one down. All of the comments were not addressed to me, and on, many in the thread were not in response to me. I can see that easily and had no idea I would get a comment like what you posted. I would apologize, if I understood what to apologize for, but I do not.

So, you can write it off as someone who does not understand or you can reply. Have a good day in any event and thank you for posting.

I'm really trying to figure out why you think every post in this thread is in response to you. You really need to understand how the internet and forums work.

OP, genetics play a role in most things, and while there are somethings we can't change about our genetics, that does not mean that having a predisposition to being overweight dictates how you will live. Like many things, it's a combination of both nature and nurture/genetics and environment.
    [/quote]
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, the photo was about obese people using "genetics" as a scapegoat when they don't actually have any disease. You may know how to read but your comprehension is below average.
  • MrsRatfire
    Options
    Really? And those of you who think this is defendable may have bumped their head recently…..but it could indeed be, a mere problem of a double digit IQ…. I guess you are right! If the person who put it up and those defending it have brain damage or perhaps HAVE a genetic disorder, maybe they are just really slow! Not their fault, hence the double digit IQ!

What is more not understandable is your desire to feel you MUST straighten me out on this. I MUST agree with you, or now I do not know how to comprehend the English language. The picture is labeled.

You seem to have problem when someone that does not agree with you. Report me please. I keep hoping the complaint I sent in will get this thread closed, as it has become ridiculous, but alas, my call has yet to be answered.

In the meantime, I will try and comprehend your "oh so complex" posts. As well as all the other "deep" comments that think this photo is humorous in its contents. On top of it all, on a weight loss and fitness site.

You may have failed to notice, but I was not the only person who thought it was in bad taste. Keep posting, I can do this all day.
  • MrsRatfire
    Options
    [I forgot to mention- yes, I did get the INTENT. Any moron got that. My problem is that it DID not belong in this thread in light of all of the posts about medical conditions. Honestly, the stereo type surrounding the joke is DECADES old-everyone understood the joke. But some of us thought it was inappropriate. But you, you have decided I do not comprehend English! I do not know which vending machine you got your degree from on this subject, but I would request a refund.
    Really? And those of you who think this is defendable may have bumped their head recently…..but it could indeed be, a mere problem of a double digit IQ…. I guess you are right! If the person who put it up and those defending it have brain damage or perhaps HAVE a genetic disorder, maybe they are just really slow! Not their fault, hence the double digit IQ!

What is more not understandable is your desire to feel you MUST straighten me out on this. I MUST agree with you, or now I do not know how to comprehend the English language. The picture is labeled.

You seem to have problem when someone that does not agree with you. Report me please. I keep hoping the complaint I sent in will get this thread closed, as it has become ridiculous, but alas, my call has yet to be answered.

In the meantime, I will try and comprehend your "oh so complex" posts. As well as all the other "deep" comments that think this photo is humorous in its contents. On top of it all, on a weight loss and fitness site.

You may have failed to notice, but I was not the only person who thought it was in bad taste. Keep posting, I can do this all day.
    [/quote]
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a amusing satirical comment which DOES apply to the majority of people it was satirising.

If you're going to get annoyed by that, NEVER go and see a stand up comedian!

(As it goes, I do avoid them generally, they irk me.)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If you have an endocrine disorder (PCOS, insulin resistance, diabetes, Hashimoto's, etc.), weight gain still happens even if the person is burning more calories than they are consuming.
    No.

If that was the case, these bodies would have solved the world's energy problem by actually creating energy while starving themselves.

In these cases the body burns LESS, but people typically use a generic calculator which doesn't take account of their condition.

They don't realise that their body has a reduced BMR, so continue to eat more calories than their body needs.

The simplest way to work out deficit or surplus in such situations is to average out long term body weight tracking. If it's going up, you are in a surplus, not a deficit. You have more going in than coming out.

I've been at a deficit for the past 3 years and STILL gained weight because of my endocrine disorders. So don't tell me "no." You aren't a doctor. You don't have these disorders and you certainly don't know everything. It IS absolutely possible to gain weight when you are not in a surplus. That's what these disorders do to people. Talk to any endocrinologist. They'll tell you the same thing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you have an endocrine disorder (PCOS, insulin resistance, diabetes, Hashimoto's, etc.), weight gain still happens even if the person is burning more calories than they are consuming.
    No.

If that was the case, these bodies would have solved the world's energy problem by actually creating energy while starving themselves.

In these cases the body burns LESS, but people typically use a generic calculator which doesn't take account of their condition.

They don't realise that their body has a reduced BMR, so continue to eat more calories than their body needs.

The simplest way to work out deficit or surplus in such situations is to average out long term body weight tracking. If it's going up, you are in a surplus, not a deficit. You have more going in than coming out.

I've been at a deficit for the past 3 years and STILL gained weight because of my endocrine disorders. So don't tell me "no." You aren't a doctor. You don't have these disorders and you certainly don't know everything. It IS absolutely possible to gain weight when you are not in a surplus. That's what these disorders do to people. Talk to any endocrinologist. They'll tell you the same thing.
    I think you were missing the point.

MFP calculates calories as:

Calorie goal = Maintenance calories - deficit + exercise calories

You have a wrench in the equation:

Calorie goal = Maintenance calories x some weird variable caused by disruption to your hormones - deficit + exercise calories.

MFP can't compensate for what your hormones are doing to your maintenance calories. So, according to MFP you're in a deficit, but according to your body you are in a surplus and gaining. It's one of the main reasons that everyone suggests that the online calculators are a good place to start when trying to find your deficit, but you have to tweak the values based on your own body. The best way to find you calories are to accurately log your food, track your progress, and then adjust up or down after 4-6 weeks of good data. Adjust 1-200 calories up or down, see what happens in 4-6 weeks. Repeat as necessary.