I'm losing my mind!!

Options
13»

Replies

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If you're working out that much, you're probably drinking a lot of water and retaining some of it, which could account for you not losing any weight. Are you taking your measurments too? That's a better indicator of progress IMO . . . I weighed in a few days ago after two weeks of doing really well and had gained 2 pounds but lost almost 3 inches on my waist.

Also, 30 pounds in a month is kind of ridiculous, no matter how big you are. I'd find a new trainer who's going to be honest with you and help you to set realistic goals.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you're working out that much, you're probably drinking a lot of water and retaining some of it, which could account for you not losing any weight. Are you taking your measurments too? That's a better indicator of progress IMO . . . I weighed in a few days ago after two weeks of doing really well and had gained 2 pounds but lost almost 3 inches on my waist.

Also, 30 pounds in a month is kind of ridiculous, no matter how big you are. I'd find a new trainer who's going to be honest with you and help you to set realistic goals.
    drinking water does not cause you to retain it, unless there are kidney issues.
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I have lost weight. I would say you're not eating enough calories and maybe the exercise is too strenuous for you. I've found walking at a brisk pace on an incline to be really helpful in my weight loss journey. I also noticed that once I bumped my calories up from 1,200 (what MFP told me) that my weight came off faster. It's all trial and error to figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "and 5 lbs of muscle gained"

Impossible over that amount of time and at a caloric deficit

Whats going wrong is your trainer is feeding you over-inflated ideas of what is possible. If they are telling you to expect to lose 30 pounds and that you have put on 5 pounds of muscle they are doing you a disservice.

Champion bodybuilders juicing with steroids can't put on 5 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks. I doubt that you have eaten enough protein in grams to account for 5 pounds of muscle gain even if your body was capable of turning 100% of your protein intake into pure muscle.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The trainer is using the same scale, and weighing and measuring me each week. It shows that I did gain 5 lbs of muscle. Maybe I am just uneducated on muscle gain I guess.

You cannot gauge muscle gain with a scale. If you gained weight that isn't fat (and they are measuring your fat percentage) then it is water. 5 lbs of water retention during strenuous exercise is actually to be expected.
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    I hadn't either until I read up on them. If you cause trauma to them, they will swell up. I learn something new everyday lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I hadn't either until I read up on them. If you cause trauma to them, they will swell up. I learn something new everyday lol

You shouldn't be getting shin splints either. Please tell me that you ate food today.
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    I ate, I went to the doctor, and I fired my trainer lol .Its been an eventful day!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm not just happy...

tumblr_moz1bxCW421s0e8ajo1_500.gif

I'm TRex jump roping happy!
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    Haha!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm not just happy...

I heart this gif!!!

Yeah to you OP for firing your trainer!!! I think I'd maybe ask for a refund or something because the info they gave you was crap.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm not just happy...

I heart this gif!!!

Yeah to you OP for firing your trainer!!! I think I'd maybe ask for a refund or something because the info they gave you was dangerously unhealthy.

FIFY
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm not just happy...

I heart this gif!!!

Yeah to you OP for firing your trainer!!! I think I'd maybe ask for a refund or something because the info they gave you was dangerously unhealthy.

FIFY

Thanks love!
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I drink a 100 cal whey protein shake, eat 3 oz. boneless skinless chicken, 2 cups green veggies, and then I repeat that meal again, 1 apple. That's my boring meal day lol

Read any links provided (guide to sexypants is my favorite for information). This sounds like you aren't eating enough and therefore aren't getting enough nutrients. I started having at least 126 pounds to lose, and I can even stretch that to 136 pounds to lose before I believe I'd look anorexic even though BMI states I can lose even a bit more weight. I'm going to be 45 in a few weeks and if you looked at my diary, you'd see both good and bad, lower fat and carbs, higher fat and carbs. I suspect a sensitivity to wheat but nothing major so I've cut it back (and feel better because of cutting it back) but not cut it out. Actually slowly trying to reintroduce a bit more back in to see if wheat was really the culprit behind the way I was feeling or if it was actually the gallstones that increased in size and frequency until I recently had the gallbladder removed.

I agree with others, if you suspect a problem (edema) get checked out again. Also, if the trainer has you doing the exercises correctly for your size, you shouldn't be experiencing shin splints. That's my uneducated opinion based on my own experience with shin splints, knee issues and weak ankles that twist extremely easily. When I've learned and performed the exercises correctly, no problems with shins, knees, ankles nor any other part of my body.

Your trainer sounds like (s)he's trying to sell you something. The pitch may not have happened yet but it's on the horizon. Everyone that I've met that has lost so much weight so quickly (30 in 30) has either had weight loss surgery, been on a doctor prescribed plan so that they reversed diabetes or pre-diabetes or have achieved their weight loss goal and/or gained it all back plus another 20 or 30 pounds for good measure (yes, I know of someone who's had the weight loss surgery and gained a majority of the weight back). That is again my experience educated opinion.

Other than that, I agree with others. Weighing and measuring everything makes a difference. I know a lot of countries have issues with what an actual serving size is but I also know that the United States is the worst on that knowledge list. We're definitely the home of big portions and being duped to believe that the portion sizes we are getting is an actual portion size, not 2 to 3 times the portion.