So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Well, my knees hurt a lot less, I can train martial arts longer and harder (giggity), and my bloodwork is all excellent.

As an unexpected side bonus, I get a lot more attention from guys.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    For myself I would not use the word skinny, instead I look at the road of weight loss that I have ahead as getting back to myself. I know it will be worth it, I love being me and realizing the weight I put on the last 3 years just makes me feel like I am not myself. So any change or amount of work I need to do will be worth being myself at my ideal weight again. My weight has not effected my health yet but I refuse to give it a chance to, there is to much to enjoy in life to be carrying this extra weight around. 3 years ago I never even gave what I ate a thought, but my activity lowered and obviously my intake increased :-(
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by skinny.

I was at 103 for quite a few years of my adult life and no effort because of youth and yes it was worth it.

You can stay overweight and have achy knees,hips, feet, swollen feet, out of breath walking to the mailbox, not being able to fit in a plane seat without an extender, not being able to hike and travel to remote places of the world because you aren't fit enough to walk for an hour to get there, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and so on.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For me, yes, for many, many reasons.
    Especially being (physically) fit AND lower in weight.

It's not a massive amount less at this weight than I at a higher weight to maintain my weight.
    So the difference between skinny and fat is about 6 months of nice eating and not enough exercise.

If I DO do all the exercise and pay a little attention to the food then I can have years of nice eating AND being able to do more things easily.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If your life is so miserable that your one and only joy in the world is food, I have to say I feel sorry for you. I'm doing this so that I can climb the mountains I want to climb and meet the people I want to meet, and without limitations do the things that will make my life something exciting, something to be cherished. The moments I want to create with my body and with people I have to climb mountains and cross rivers to meet is not even comparable to a meal that will last at most 20 minutes, or a hundred meals for that matter.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    So is it worth being healthy? Not having all the health problems and reduced mobility and pain associated with being overweight? Yes, for sure. And is it worth it psychologically? That will depend on the individual. I was overweight for 2 years right before my teens and so desperately unhappy with it I can't begin to describe. I lost the weight (via an ed) and kept it off (recovered ed) and for me it will always be worth not being overweight as I just hate myself so much for it to the point where I don't want to leave the house. But not everyone had such ridiculous self esteem/body issues so that part will depend on your personal situation.

Had it occurred to you that he might be fibbing? That he is just making an excuse for not being able maintain his weight loss?
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Being thin is really just a small price to pay, which is eat less.

There nothing great about being obese, if affects your sleep, makes you prone to diseases, unemployable, etc, etc.... list just goes on..
  • fairyface87
    fairyface87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I was lighter I was SO much more confident in social situations, I suffer from social anxiety so that's definitely a plus!
    It felt incredible to have so much energy and not to feel out of breath all the time. I first lost weight in preparation for traveling around Europe. I can't imagine how difficult hiking the Pyrenees would have been were I still heavy!! And finally, I also suffer from depression and exercising and eating well really does help me feel better. Unfortunately, I gained weight over winter but I'm really excited about loosing it and keeping it off this time! :smile:
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight before- only to reach my goal and gain if back plus more.

The way i see it; is that if you make it all about the food and obsess over calories then the end goal is small, you reach your goal and still obsess not to gain and it is not a sustainable or happy place

Those who see this a ls a healthy journey, a life style change, a pursuit of fitness......
    Those people have found the magic- in the motivator!
    Change is hard, but the motivation can make all the differemce and turn glasses into being half full

Losing weight is worth it- only if the end results are in line with what you want in your life
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For me it has become just doing things to be happy. I wasn't happy when I was at a heavier weight so I did something to change it.

Now, exercising makes me happy, eating good food makes me happy because it keeps my energy up. At the same time, eating cookies and ice cream makes me happy too. It's really all about finding a balance

It's not so much that being "skinny" makes me happy, but living a healthy life does and is definitely worth it for me at least.

Same here :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you go about it in a sustainable way, so you enjoy the lifestyle that makes you reach and maintain a healthy body fat percentage, then there's no dichotomy between fat and happy v thin and miserable. Because you're fit, strong, lean and happy.

Skinny isn't the goal....... fit, strong and healthy is. Healthy includes having a healthy body fat percentage, which some would define as skinny. But I think being fit, strong and healthy is definitely worth the effort put in to get there.... and no reason why it can't be enjoyable.... do exercise that you enjoy and have fun doing it......... eat all the foods you want, just exercise portion control so you stick to your calorie goal. Weighing and logging food can get tiresome but with the phone app it only takes a minute and it's just a question of getting into the habit of doing it.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm not anywhere near skinny (still about 9 kg to go before normal weight range) but I've lost about 12 kg and maintained for about a year... and it still feels good. It's a little boost of self-esteem, and I definitely feel less sweaty, less unfocused, less tired and less miserable than I did with the extra weight on.

In order to feel good, I still need to work on my psychological well-being. However, losing excess weight helps.

Oh, and also, I don't know if I'll still get diabetes but my blood sugar was a little high and that's what really got me into gear. I hope I haven't done myself damage. Most adults I know from my country have the diabeetus, and it's a lot of stress. Avoid if possible.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lost weight and maintained it for a bit, but then realized he wasn't able to enjoy life as much. He sort of thought "life is too short to be worrying about being thin". He has gained back the weight and now is a jolly, older man with no regrets regarding his lifestyle.

I have such high hopes for how much better I will feel without the extra weight, but is it actually worth it? Does life then become less enjoyable because we're not quite as free-spirited when it comes to eating food?

I personally think it's 50-50 just like most things and situations in life.
    When I was overweight-almost obese, I used to keep telling myself that I would have never liked myself anyway, so why depriving myself of food and laziness? I still somewhat "like" that lifestyle, I mean, who wouldn't like to splurge or rest instead of working out... or maybe it's just me. I've never been that kind of person who exercises and eats clean just for the sake of it.

At the same time, I was miserable so here's the back of the coin. I used to feel pathetic while overeating, I couldn't walk much, I was always tired, I didn't like the way I looked and I had to avoid mirrors. I was convinced I would have never found a man and I had given up on looking good on clothes. So, yeah, I could have all the food I wanted... but I wasn't happy.

I can't say losing weight resolved the problem since life always offers you some new troubles, but at least I'm doing better. It's been hard losing weight, and it's still hard, I have to eat less than I'd like to, and I feel bad if I exceed, but at the same time I don't feel overwhelmed anymore. I still have issues with my own image but it's getting much better and I'm still young, so I have a long way to go before completely accepting myself. That's a part of me I'm working on and I hope I'll be successful.

So yeah, I'd say it's worth it, but you need to really come to the point in which you can't take it anymore. Otherwise there's no need to start dieting or exercising if you're not truly convinced about it.
  • Tinatot125
    Tinatot125 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters who say it is about being fit and healthy. I love the energy I have now. I get excited about trying new physical activities and want to make the most of my free time. The other day I picked up a 10kg bag of potatoes and thought wow that is heavy. The truth is I have lost 21kgs so I was essentially carry around 2 of those bags all day everyday which when I look back now was not very comfortable. I also love just being able to wear jeans and t-shirt and not feel I need to cover my lumps and bumps anymore. I will never go back to my old ways as I don't believe I am that person anymore.
  • minibandit
    Options
    I have a happy super obese friend. She eats and drinks whatever she wants, she's social and goes out (to eat and drink) a lot. I'm certain that around a third of her weight is alcohol. She's happy.

But, she's almost disabled and, if you look and listen carefully, she has had to adjust her life to accommodate her size. It's restrictive for her, which she plays down. Normal daily activities, travel, sleep - everything is adjusted or completely avoided and then joked about by herself.

The time before last that I visited I was walking behind her at one point and watched her struggle to walk and listened to her extremely laboured breathing. It made me sit down quietly on my return home and seriously consider that I may not see her ever again.

'Enjoying life' is a relative and subjective term. She would tell me, I know, that she enjoys life but, if she was to really break it down what she enjoys is 'eating and drinking to excess'.
    Is that the only enjoyment there is in life then? No. Does that 'enjoyment' come at a price..? Yes - and I really worry, genuinely, that she'll pay the ultimate one very soon.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Worth what? It's really not that hard...

You do realize that already being skinny isn't as hard as reworking your entire life and spending months or years working towards something, right?

Its easy to call building a house easy when your house is already built.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Being skinny, no.
    Being fit and healthy, not a question in my mind it's totally worth it.
    So much of life is easier when you're not hauling around additional fat.
  • Musclememroy
    Options
    Food is to live. I think the problem with most of us over eaters is that we eat for lots of reasons, boredom, comfort, ect. Even when we are full we still want more chips because they taste good. I dont understand how he could not be happy with just eating less? Make room for your snacks you dont have to feel deprived.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Being skinny, no.
    Being fit and healthy, not a question in my mind it's totally worth it.

Very much this.

I think when you see how you look as a side benefit to the way you feel, perform and live then happiness is more likely to come.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    People often buy into this idea that being thin will solve all your problems. It doesn't. You're the same person when you lose weight just a smaller version. There are pros and cons to being at higher or lower weights!
    ^this!

I got skinny plenty of times and was never happy

I now work out and my health is better, my mental health is better, my mind is sharper, I achieve more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!