Question for Planet Fitness ppl

Options
2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Per the usual response....

If the didn't caracaturize fitness enthusiasts and call them dumb by using a slang term for dumb or stupid all while advertising a judgement free zone, they'd catch far less hell here, but from what I can tell that's what they want. Telling people the don't belong so they join their "judgement free" zone when in all actuality they are probably the most judge mental gym around
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    PF is not for me, as told to me by a manager. My views on that place fall along the lines of, for weight loss or mass gains it is as useless as an Old Navy in a nudist colony. For someone who is looking to just maintain via circuit training or goes for the occasional jog on a crappy day it's a great place to go.
    Not for weight loss?
    The formula for weight loss is quite simple and if you cannot drop weight as a PF member... well..... I guess some people need a little more hand holding then others.

Are you really that thick? Bad troll, back beneath the bridge!
  • finallylean
    finallylean Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just joined today. Too soon to comment. I hope I don't end up regretting it.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    So I have a question for the people who workout at Planet Fitness (PF) or the people who support PF's rules. Do you really get offended by people in the gym who are in really great shape who make noise when they workout or may flex in the mirror? If so why? I'm asking b/c I recently worked out with a friend as a guest at PF. I met him there and was wearing and old T-shirt with the sides cut. He told me I probably wanted to put on another shirt or I'd get a bunch of funny looks and may get asked by staff to change it. WTF?! Is it really that serious?
    There are people who really aren't interested in looking at people in t-shirts with the sides cut out, or listening to them grunt when they lift, or watch them flex in the mirror. PF is trying to create a place for those people.

I go to a place that doesn't have any rules like that, but none of the people act like that either. And trust me, there are some people in there training really hard. None of that extra "look at how bad I am" stuff is required in order to get a hard workout.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If someone throws weights down and makes loud bangs, shouts in a group or generally acts like an *kitten*, then it really annoys me - it's the distraction aspect. I support a gym that cuts down on the teenage annoyances. Work out or leave. Maybe this is because I'm older.

But serious lifters don't bother me at all. If someone grunts while lifting something heavy, good for them. I don't care. If girls wear slim tank tops and boy shorts, I still don't care. If they dead lift, that's great too.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Just joined today. Too soon to comment. I hope I don't end up regretting it.

PF are Franchises, yours may be great.
  • CarineCNM
    CarineCNM Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was at PF for 9 months and overall it does the trick for people that have lots of individual motivation. For me having Spin, Zumba, and other classes available at LA Fitness I have been more successful. Its like having a personal trainer included in the fee when you go to the classes. I found that at PF the "free" trainers didn't really train (at least not on a regular basis).

Another personal reason I stopped going is, while I was doing the circuit (for my first time) I was on the leg press machine and accidentally dropped the weight before lowering myself to the neutral position. They sounded the alarm on me and I was soooooooo embarrassed. I avoided the weights and things because I was intimidated and when I get the courage, they sound the alarm. I didn't step foot back in there again, except to cancel my membership. As to the original poster, I don't care what others do, I keep my headphones in and keep it moving. PF is what you make of it, and as mentioned above PF is a franchise meaning they all can have different rules. For example, in Gainesville, FL I went with my hair wrapped with a scarf and I was told to take it off (unless it was for religious reasons). I have been to 2 others and that was not the rule. Anyways....I guess I will shove off this post now, bad memories resurfacing :(
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    PF is not for me, as told to me by a manager. My views on that place fall along the lines of, for weight loss or mass gains it is as useless as an Old Navy in a nudist colony. For someone who is looking to just maintain via circuit training or goes for the occasional jog on a crappy day it's a great place to go.
    Not for weight loss?
    The formula for weight loss is quite simple and if you cannot drop weight as a PF member... well..... I guess some people need a little more hand holding then others.

Are you really that thick? Bad troll, back beneath the bridge!
    Nope.. Not that thick at all.
    I have put on 20 LBS of pure muscle in three months without ever touching a weight. Nothing but pushups, situps, running, and eating everything in sight.
    I have also dropped 20 LBS in two months by limiting my calories to 900 per day, getting very little sleep, and constantly excersizing.
    Again, never touching a weight.
    So, to say that you cannot put on muscle or drop weight at PF (weights, cario equipment, ect) is a really stupid comment.
  • kharral86
    kharral86 Posts: 63
    Options
    I use planet fitness and as for the dress code, it states that you cant wear jeans or work boots. I dont know if maybe my planet fitness is different. I havent seen anything or heard the alarm go off yet. Ive been going for 5 months. I like the price i pay and it happens to be the closest gym to me.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I swear my branch must be vastly different from every other PF out there for some simple reasons

1. The "lunk alarm" sounds more on those dumb *kitten* commercials they run on their TV's more than it does in the actual gym
    2. I wear a bandana every single time I workout (6/week) and No one has ever said word one to me
    3. I hear people grunting, and making all kinds of noises over their headphones and again no one has said word one, nor has that alarm gone off
    4. I dropped the bar on one of the leg machines on accident (foot slipped) and not once did anyone say anything, look my way or nothing - yes I was embarrassed, but no one said anything nor did the alarm go off...

What concerns me most are those people using the machines inappropriately to do exercises - like stand up squats on the Hip Abductor machine - more worried they are going to fall and hurt themselves; or the guys who use the shoulder raise one to exercise their necks - again worried they are going to hurt themselves...