So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Options

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet either, BUT I have been able to enjoy so much more of life than food. I hike, bike, and walk more, travel more now and I'm more comfortable in my skin. I would trade that for eating the way I used to eat. I still enjoy my food. I drink less but other than that I just eat smarter.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hedean said:
    "Yes I believe that I'll one day agree with you. I can't imagine finally reaching my goal and then saying eh, I'd rather just be fat and lazy again."

First off I have to say that just because someone is over weight doesn't make them lazy. There are many reasons why people are overweight.

Second, it is a lifestyle choice. If the person isn't as happy when they are watching everything they eat and want to stop and they are happier than all the power to them. I think it is more about being happy in the skin you are in than a number on a scale.
    I for one have sacrificed a lot to get where I am now and don't plan on ever going back. When I reach my goal I might eat more like I did but in moderation.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't know about skinny, but being fit is. it's a really great feeling for your friends to invite you hiking, camping, rock climbing, or whatever, and you can say yes. and not only say yes, but not be the last one in the group huffing and puffing.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Sigh.

There is really no reason why, if you are approaching diet and exercise moderately, you can't enjoy all the things.

I enjoy being thinner than I once was because I feel more comfortable (ie less stuffed -- into my own skin, clothing etc and less joint pain) but I still enjoy all the foods --- all the celebrations --- all the things. I just make sure I am active enough to support what I am eating.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I feel it's worth it! I have seen other post this, but I have learned to handle stress much better because of exercise and not chosing to feel sorry for myself and stuff my face. I'm out trying new things in life and really starting to live my life finally.

I suppose it all depends on the individual. I just think there is more to life than food. And I know what I did was shut myself away from anyone and just eat. Bascially was depressed and scared to go out and live life. I was just letting my life pass me by.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For me, being skinny is worth it.. but i can definitely relate. I actually have lower confidence now because I constantly worry about my weight. When I was heavier I didn't really think/worry about it. I worry about everything I eat and if it will benefit my body or make me gain weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Is skinny worth it? No, because it's not usually enough motivation to get to goal and stay there.
    I said and did the same as the OP's friend many times - but it was because I didn't lose the weight in a way that worked for me. I would restrict my foods too much, try to work out too much and generally deprive myself. Not fun. And in that case, it totally wasn't worth it, especially since my goal was to get "skinny".

Is healthy worth it? Abso-freakin-lutely!
    This time, my goal was more about getting healthy. And instead of depriving myself, I've learned to eat the foods I enjoy in smaller portions and/or with healthy substitutes. And I've found exercises that I actually enjoy. I've been at this for over 4 years and while I'm not quite to goal and may not be for another couple years, my health and general lifestyle has vastly improved. My blood pressure is at normal again, I'm able to do basic day to day tasks without getting winded, etc.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    There is a lot more to enjoy in life than food.

Aside from sex, not really.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've always thought it was worth it. Fat and jolly is not something I could be.

Now at age 52, my goals are more about health and fitness. Things like maintaining bone density and muscle and reducing risk of disease are my primary goals. And while "skinny" is not something I think about like I did as a teenager in the 70's, carrying too much fat is a risk factor for disease, so I think it's important to control that.

I don't restrict my food to the point that it makes my unhappy, but I certainly don't want food to my greatest source of happiness. I want to continue to be well enough to enjoy life outside the kitchen.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of notions about what life would be like if/when I lost weight. I thought people would think I was beautiful (based on being told "you have such a cute face, you'd be beautiful if you lost weight" so many times), thought I'd be beating the fellas off with a stick. None of that has happened. However; while it isn't what I thought it would be it really exceeds all my expectations in terms of quality of life. There are few things that feel better than to be able to put down both armrests and buckle my seat belt on an airplane, to be able to run a 10k, to be able to shop for clothes wherever I want and not just Lane Bryant and small plus sized departments. I feel much healthier, more vibrant and more excited about leading a long fulfilling life. I'm not "skinny" yet but I've come a long, long way toward getting closer to a healthy weight and it is absolutely worth it.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Not that this was easy, per se, but if I had known it was less of a challenge than I thought it would be, I'd have done this years ago. I'm not happier as a thinner person, I'm happier as a HAPPIER person. That came about when I developed a better relationship with food, allowed myself to take care of myself and considered myself worthy of the journey. The fact that I can fit into non-plus clothes (ie- I can shop in the section with the most clothes in the main part of the store, instead of a dark, unorganized corner), car seats and plane seats without an extender is just a really f***ing nice side effect.

I didn't go into this to be thin, I went into this to be healthier. The lifestyle I changed over to wasn't able to support me staying at a larger size. When I realized it was possible to lose weight without giving up foods I liked, actual weight loss goals came into the mix. Fun fact: my original weight loss goal was 20 pounds. And I just put in that goal because I needed to put something in.

So, yes. Worth it. Worth it times infinity.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

^^ this. and man, fitsex is sooooooo much better than fat lazy sex.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

+2 Completely agree.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

+2 Completely agree.

+3 Who else agree?
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hells Yeah!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know about skinny, but being healthy is worth it. Being fit is also worth it. I live life to the fullest and didn't have to give anything up to become healthy and fit.
  • runway12
    runway12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's all about how you take it. I think a lot of people deprive themselves of eating enough, getting a treat, over work themselves, etc which makes the lifestyle less enjoyable, but if you do allow yourself to not obsess over numbers, eat the right amount, and treat yourself well then the lifestyle is worth it. I personally wouldn't trade it for anything, :) And I mean this in the healthy fit way not so much skinny : )
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    That happens to people who deprive themselves and limit themselves from having what they want.

I'm thin and I eat pizza, sushi, chips, cake, cookies, drink pop, drink beer, drink whiskey, bagels, fast food....you name it, i eat it.

It's all in MODERATION, and its all done with portion control.

I eat what I like. I eat what I enjoy. If I go to a restaurant, I eat what I want.

I work out.

I still live life. So I don't mind being thin......it works for me. I have enough energy to do all the things I want, and I eat the things I want. I just don't eat it in massive amounts made for 4 people (well.......not always anyways :))
  • wisteriafleur
    wisteriafleur Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I will do personally when i get down to my goal weight. Will I try to lose more to fit better into my target BMI for my height or will I maintain? One thing I do know is that I will surely have a good cry if i reach my goals and find that it is more work than i find enjoyable. Right now I enjoy working out and eating healthy, it is a habit now. I think that id I found I wasn't happy at that point I would need to reevaluate my life
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I can't say whether being skinny is worth it ... I've never been "skinny." Nor do I want to be.

But I can tell you that being fit and healthy is worth it. Being able to help move my parents when it's just me and my husband doing most of the lifting, being able to keep up with my kids ... and setting the example of healthy living for them, being able to fit in clothes, having healthy blood pressure and blood lipid and sugar levels, and much more. Yes, that's worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy life. We go out to eat. I eat dessert. I enjoyed family dinner for Easter and didn't worry about restricting. But I balance it out. I exercise a couple times a week, I try to eat mostly nutrient-dense foods, and stay within reasonable calories most of the time. It's an over-all healthy lifestyle that I aim for, not just a number on the scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!