Top MFP Conspiracies

Options

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    #123 Everyone who has been on MFP for more than a day suddenly becomes a nutrition and fitness expert
    ...and a medical expert :huh: The number of times I've read "your doctor is an idiot"/"your doctor doesn't know what s/he's talking about".... How arrogant - and irresponsible - do you have to be to think you know better than a doctor?!?

ETA: unless you're a doctor/medical expert yourself of course :-/
    Yes! Because you know... doctors know everything!!
    No, doctors don't know everything but they tend to know a little bit more about medicine and human biology that Mr or Mrs. Read-a-few-articles-on-the-internet-so-now-I'm-an-expert :-/ I'm not talking about nutritional/weight-loss advice per se, but I once saw an internet 'expert' here, tell another diabetic member to reduce their insulin, with the view of cutting it put completely :noway: That kind of medical 'advice'.

ETA: the person was a type 1 diabetic by the way.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    #123 Everyone who has been on MFP for more than a day suddenly becomes a nutrition and fitness expert
    ...and a medical expert :huh: The number of times I've read "your doctor is an idiot"/"your doctor doesn't know what s/he's talking about".... How arrogant - and irresponsible - do you have to be to think you know better than a doctor?!?

No, doctors don't know everything but they tend to know a little bit more about medicine and human biology that Mr or Mrs. Read-a-few-articles-on-the-internet-so-now-I'm-an-expert :-/ I'm not talking about nutritional/weight-loss advice per se, but I once saw an internet 'expert' here, tell another diabetic member to reduce their insulin, with the view of cutting it put completely :noway: That kind of medical 'advice'.

Exactly! I'd take a doctor's 7 years medical training advice faster than the guy who says "I read this on the internet once". Doctors are not always right but the odds are good that they might have a good idea of what's what.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I believe that MFP is in cahoots with various clothing manufacturers. As I dropped weight, I had to go out and buy new clothes. I think the clothing industry gives a kickback to MFP.

GOSH I loved this. THIS is a conspiracy theory, people! hahahahaha :laugh:

tinfoil-hat.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Someone citing whatever blog as proof against doctors orders is definitely eye-roll inducing. But, to be fair, most doctors aren't as expertly-versed in nutrition as people seem to think. Doctors can also be completely wrong, depending on their views, how they keep up on medical knowledge, etc. Or even just on mistakes. A bad day. They're too tired. Etc. They can miss something, misspeak, etc.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    #24. .You hurt my feelings ON PURPOSE!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    red-palm-oil-dr-oz.jpg?w=627

GAWD, I'm such an instigator today LOL
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    They want you to eat back your exercise calories so you stay fatter longer and spend more time on the site. :tinfoilhat:

Bahahaha this is great.
  • jchap389
    jchap389 Posts: 54
    Options
    #4 MFP is a thinly veiled dating/hook up site.

I had no idea...

So when do you move into independent woman's house and become her new boyfriend? So jealous.

HAHAHA Love this
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    saying anything that might offend someones delicate sensitivities will get you a strike or two by the mods...

i see strike three coming down the pipe....
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No matter what you say, there will be somebody around to disagree with it.

"All you have to do is create a moderate calorific deficit, eat less/ do more"
    "No no no no I have a medical condition so this does not work for me"

"Cutting out desserts helped me."
    "No no no no, have desserts, I have desserts so you're doing it wrong!"

"I'm weighing and logging everything and the scale hasn't moved for 3 weeks"
    "You're not weighing and logging everything."

Sometimes people have a point- say for example accuracy really counts when weighing and logging.

But I am amused and in awe of how there isn't one fact out there that somebody can't argue with (whether they're absolutely correct or a complete loon)
    My personal fave is whenever there's a "my weight loss has stalled" topic... the eat more calories camp vs the inaccurate logging/ eat less camp.
    No - I need to disagree with you... ;-)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Exactly! I'd take a doctor's 7 years medical training advice faster than the guy who says "I read this on the internet once". Doctors are not always right but the odds are good that they might have a good idea of what's what.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the hypothetical doctor in this example had more than one basic nutrition course during those seven years. Most doctors seem phenomenal with treating illness but not-always-so-great at optimizing wellness.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Sometimes people have a point- say for example accuracy really counts when weighing and logging.

But I am amused and in awe of how there isn't one fact out there that somebody can't argue with (whether they're absolutely correct or a complete loon)
    My personal fave is whenever there's a "my weight loss has stalled" topic... the eat more calories camp vs the inaccurate logging/ eat less camp.

This is what keeps me coming back to the forums. The endless entertainment value and it's FREE! :drinker:
  • snapehbp
    snapehbp Posts: 64
    Options

^^this!
  • dunge0n
    dunge0n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All of my ads are for underwear. And Gucci shoes.

MFP wants me broke.

you do realize it's because you visited that site or something similar and now it's displaying that. Targeted advertising. :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    The true MFP conspiracy will never be known because "they" keep it in the shadows....
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    #4 MFP is a thinly veiled dating/hook up site.

I want a date. :wink:
  • jennycjenny
    jennycjenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    All of my ads are for underwear. And Gucci shoes.

MFP wants me broke.

you do realize it's because you visited that site or something similar and now it's displaying that. Targeted advertising. :)

... And the Dominos ad is not only tempting me, but actively shaming me. HEY somebody else must have used my computer to order that garbage...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    MFP intentionally plants trolls to keep the action going.
  • 2kellymike
    2kellymike Posts: 72 Member
    Options

This is what keeps me coming back to the forums. The endless entertainment value and it's FREE! :drinker:

^^THIS! I hardly ever post but I read the forums all the time quite simply for the entertainment value! :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^^THIS! I hardly ever post but I read the forums all the time quite simply for the entertainment value! :laugh:

If you think it's fun *watching* it, you should try *playing* it yourself...

...and there are plenty of pick-up games available too...so c'mon, get in there!