Dog people...c'mere!!

Options

Replies

• BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have an 8month old Lab and he has gone through more toys than I can count...the only ones that have stood up to his aggressive chewing are the Kong toys and also Nylabone. Nylabones come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes and can be found in most pets stores. He's had his for about 4 months now and there is barely a dent in them!!

Nylabones ROCK!!

My 1 yr old boxer LOVES his Nylabone. He's had to learn that it's the only thing he's allowed to chew up, other than sticks in the yard, but he absolutely loves his Nylabone.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    In for ideas! My 2 JRTs have a Kong and tennis balls to play with other than big beef bones from the butcher to chew on. Tennis balls get taken away after fetch otherwise they will be destroyed in minutes. :laugh:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Jolly balls are great even when they put holes in them the ball is still a ball. My mastiff has had one for over a year and it is still good. I did have a mastiff (he passed) that was an extreme chewer, we just went to the store and picked stuffed toys that were made of heavy duty nylon and had hidden seems and no arms or anything that stuck out from the main.With these it was hard to find a spot to pick at so they remained in one piece longer. The kong wubba is great for a puppy too it is a nylon covered kong. I have had dogs destroy kongs so i prefer the nylon covered ones. Heavy duty rope toys are good too and normally not too expensive.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Kong for toys and Nila bones for chewing bones
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Why do you think your dog needs synthetic "toys"? Obviously he would be healthiest with large, raw bones. Both my pitbull cross and Inuit dog (there's no dog closer to a wolf than that) destroy toys and ingest them so they get bones, antlers, hooves and pig ears, etc. It's healthier and safer that way.

Reading the comments, I'm just blown away how sold so many people are on fake, synthetic stuff that dogs are chewing on and likely consuming....
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Why do you think your dog needs synthetic "toys"? Obviously he would be healthiest with large, raw bones. Both my pitbull cross and Inuit dog (there's no dog closer to a wolf than that) destroy toys and ingest them so they get bones, antlers, hooves and pig ears, etc. It's healthier and safer that way.

Reading the comments, I'm just blown away how sold so many people are on fake, synthetic stuff that dogs are chewing on and likely consuming....

let me guess you do not feed your dog typical dog food either but make it out of "real" food yourself?
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have to buy Juno, my husky, the stuffing free toy's. She love's the squeeky toy's, but even the stuffing free one's she plays with a bit, then tears it up to find the squeeky in it. She has even managed to tear up every Kong toy I have bought her, along with 2 of my bedspreads. I am going to try the antlers they are talking about on here. Let me know how you do!!
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    We used to have block head black lab that chewed nylabones up like they were juicy fruit. I finally just gave him fire would. He would hold it with his paws and gnaw and gnaw. looked like we had a beaver around our patio...
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Someone may already have these suggestions, I haven't read through them all.

But one thing you can do with your kong is mix dry food, PB and a little water, stuff the kong and freeze it. It makes them work longer and tire out faster. Also a kong wobbler with food is great and it's indestructible.

Also, if you can get online or get to a Tractor Supply Company, they sell these toys that fits a plastic bottle inside. The inside material is super heavy duty and the arms/ears are so small it has lasted three months and shows no signs of tearing up. Besides the kong, nothing has lasted that long with my pointer.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    One more thing: femur bones. But the only ones that don't break apart or split are the ones we buy at a high end pet place. They aren't easy to find and I've bought some that just cracked into pieces.

ETA: They are hollow and full of grossness that the dogs LOVE. Mine will spend hours licking out the inside and then chewing on the outside. We call them babysitters....haha
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    So I have 2 dogs that'll chew and destroy toys within 5 minutes...though a regular kong (the kind you can put treats in or peanut butter) it did take my pittie 2 weeks to eat.

But they have a solid round ball that NEITHER of mine have been able to destroy.

If your dog doesn't destroy the kong you can put treats in, put peanut butter in it and freeze it over night. It'll give her hours of entertainment.
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    My border collie/boxer/pit mix LOVES those huge cow bones from petco. But we have to take it away from him sometimes because it's made his jaw start to click from him carrying it around with him. Not so safe after all...

When we assemble his kong, we seal the small end with pb, cream cheese, even butter. Then we stuff what ever we can find inside! Lunch meat, hot dogs, left over dinner, regular dog treats, and then seal the large open hole again with pb etc. He loves them! Be sure though, that whatever you put inside is safe for your dog... and not too gluttonous. :) A kong a day filled with left over dinner... well, would cause our pooch to pack on a few.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My dog has this little toy that looks like a tire . . . it's pretty indestructable too, she's barely put a dent in it.

They sell Kong fillers at the pet store that have different flavors. I've used Easy Cheese (the kind in the spray bottle) for mine.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Antlers. We get them from Michiganantlerart.com. You can email the owner and tell him you have a very strong chewer and he will send you the antlers you need.

THIS. And raw bones. I buy frozen raw bones - I think Primal something is the brand - and my Olde English Bulldog, the lovely Lola, LOVES them. After she licks out all the marrow, I fill with peanut butter and freeze them. The don't splinter (because they're not cooked) and she can chew for hours.
  • Livestrongalways0
    Options
    Here's everything my cocker spaniel loves in his kong

Banana and peanut butter
    Brown bread and cheese melted
    Mix fav fruit or veg into a smoothie pour in kong and seal ends with a paste then pop in freezer ( great for summer to keep them cool)
    Chicken with carrot chunks
    Banana and natural yogurt
    Squash pureed
    Baby food jars

Can't think of anymore if I do I will post but these are the ones he loves the most
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I used to fill a Kong with dog food and plain yogurt and freeze it with a stopper on top. For the stopper, I bought hard big dog food from the vet that is used for dental health. You can also use biscuits, raw hide or jerky in the right shape as a stopper for the Kong.

I stuffed the Kong with everything: wet dog food, kibble, yogurt, and peanut butter. If you go to the Kong website they have recipes and support:)

To make it even more challenging freeze it. I used to have a dog who really needed distractions in his nervous little life so I always had about four or five frozen and challenging Kongs in the freezer.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    My dog liked his kong he also never got through ruff tuff toys they are like strong material toys. We also freeze low sodium chicken stock in kongs. Or in containers, keeps him busy for ages. You pop it out the container first haha. You get chicken nylon bones that only tiny boys break off that they can get through but they take ages. Like weeks. Our dog also loves bully sticks but they last maybe a couple hour he is a jack Russell so we don't get him massive ones.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Kongs are great, antlers work, mine loved them at first but barely touch them now, bullies (look it up;)) or a nice meaty bone!). But like anything for a chewer not to be given without supervision.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

let me guess you do not feed your dog typical dog food either but make it out of "real" food yourself?

She's actually spot on...