Future Eating Disorder?

Options
Today my calorie goal was 1570. I ended the day with 857 food calories - 703 exercise (154 cal net). I am honestly so full I don't even know how I could eat anymore...am I eating enough? I feel as though I am but 154 net cals don't seem quite enough. Not sure if I should just not pay attention to the exercise calories but even at that, I'm at less than 900 cals. But I literally feel like I'm going to throw up and I feel so much guilt when I eat.

My mom says I'm doing fine, and that I'm eating more than enough, plus I'm overweight so obviously I'm not starving myself.

What do I do? Am I ok with how I am or do I need to change? If so...HOW?!!?! Help!

Replies

• kmm0034
    kmm0034 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it looks like you had breakfast for lunch, and then dinner for dinner. You're drank 11 glasses of water today, which could contribute to that so full your nauseous feeling. If you feel fine today, then you feel fine. Try to eat to your calorie goal tomorrow. One bad day is nothing to worry about. Just get back on the horse as you can.

I suggest at least a piece of fruit in the morning, if you feel you can't have more.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling guilt in relation to what you eat, you definitely need to talk to someone about it.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you are honestly full then don't eat. It will catch up to you. Tomorrow you will probably be starving. I have days that eat under my calorie goal and then the next day I eat over by 200 calories. If it all evens out over the week, then don't worry about that. The only thing that was a little concerning was the "you feel guilty when you eat" part. You should eat when you are hungry - period. How much do you have to lose anyway? From your profile pic, it looks like you are pretty close to a healthy weight.

If you are having trouble finding calorie dense foods then you aren't trying hard enough. You don't have to eat much of the following to hit 300 extra calories: Peanut butter, granola, nuts, ice cream, cake. :wink:
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Like one of the users above said, if you feel fine, it's fine- but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Eating too little and exercising too much can really put stress on your body- even if you're a healthy or overweight BMI- and what happens then: amenorrhea, nutritional deficiency, muscle deterioration and cramps, more prone to injury, etc... I'm sure you know the consequences, otherwise you wouldn't be posting here out of concern. You want to work with your body, not against it, basically. A sensible diet and activity level will get you back to your optimal weight set point.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Also, eating disorders are genetic. It's a survival-mechanism-gone-wrong you're predisposed to developing. If it doesn't run in your family, you don't have to worry about a future eating disorder- but you could very well experience some reactive eating episodes putting your body through any kinds of starvation.

No. OP, if you are associating guilt with eating PLEASE get help, regardless of your families health.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Also, eating disorders are genetic. It's a survival-mechanism-gone-wrong you're predisposed to developing. If it doesn't run in your family, you don't have to worry about a future eating disorder- but you could very well experience some reactive eating episodes putting your body through any kinds of starvation.

No. OP, if you are associating guilt with eating PLEASE get help, regardless of your families health.

Yes, and genetic doesn't mean ONLY hereditary, either. Your genes are affected by your parents, but your own personal DNA is constantly shifting over time and reacting to stimuli throughout your life. Your body composition is unique, and disease, even mental illness, can appear at any time without a prior family history. If you have symptoms, you need to seek support irl.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not always the best indicator of whether or not we're getting enough to eat. The hormones that control your hunger cues can be suppressed by too many things, including periods of undereating, stress, or exercise. You have to look at things like energy levels, mood, healthy skin & nails, gym performance, etc.

A day here and there below your calories is no big deal. But feelings of guilt around food and having a hard time eating enough every day should be taken seriously.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Today my calorie goal was 1570. I ended the day with 857 food calories - 703 exercise (154 cal net). I am honestly so full I don't even know how I could eat anymore...am I eating enough? I feel as though I am but 154 net cals don't seem quite enough. Not sure if I should just not pay attention to the exercise calories but even at that, I'm at less than 900 cals. But I literally feel like I'm going to throw up and I feel so much guilt when I eat.

My mom says I'm doing fine, and that I'm eating more than enough, plus I'm overweight so obviously I'm not starving myself.

What do I do? Am I ok with how I am or do I need to change? If so...HOW?!!?! Help!

I hate to break it to you, but I suspect you are eating more calories than you think you are. From viewing the two days of your diary, it appears you are not weighing your food, therefore your portions are probably more calories than what you put in.

For example, how much a half of a peach or five berries weighs is is probably more than that "serving" amount you use.

Also, you get your calorie burns from MFP, some other website, or the exercise machines, correct? You are young but if that's you in your profile picture then you don't weight very much. Therefore, it's highly doubtful that you burned 300+ calories on a 20 minute run.

As for future eating disorder- I don't know, but I'm sensing some issues with food. Since that is your question, I suggest talking to a professional.

The best of luck to you.
  • fificrazy
    Options

Orthorexia runs rampant amongst dieters: feeling like eating that one "wrong" thing ruined your "progress" for the day.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    OP's profile says she is 190 lbs., but the pictures show a significantly smaller person. I don't know where she is on her weight loss journey. She didn't eat much today, but her diary yesterday shows a pretty decent intake. 11 glasses of water is a lot, though. Sometimes overhydrating leads to nausea.
  • fificrazy
    Options
    OP's profile says she is 190 lbs., but the pictures show a significantly smaller person. I don't know where she is on her weight loss journey. She didn't eat much today, but her diary yesterday shows a pretty decent intake. 11 glasses of water is a lot, though. Sometimes overhydrating leads to nausea.

You don't know how tall she is...
  • KingCoupons
    Options
    One short day does not make an eating disorder. However, consistently eating such low amounts of calories can cause your metabolism to slow. If you look at programs like intermittent fasting, you'll see that going through periods where you're not eating is fine, but it requires close maintenance of your macro-nutrients and calories.

If you're just now starting the diet and activity, you should probably start slow. Running and biking as quickly as you are, when you're used to a sedentary lifestyle, is not going to be conducive to a well-maintained routine. Don't starve yourself. Don't push yourself too hard. The body will react negatively to overstress and undernourishment. If you want to lead a healthy life, you have to ease into it gradually. Don't look at like you're just doing this to lose weight.

If that's all you're doing it for, then you'll always see it as a chore, and you'll just gain it back later. Just try to form new habits that aren't difficult on your body, and then gradually expand upon them. Instead of sitting in the computer chair or on the couch, walk -- then jog, and then run. Instead of trying to eat nothing but healthy foods all the time, eat foods that are good for you, that you enjoy, and slowly expand your tastes to be healthier. One day, you'll find yourself running and cycling for miles and miles at high speed, and it will be easy, and your grocery list will eventually contain primarily foods that are good for you; however, just as the pyramids weren't built in a day, your healthy body won't be, either.

Best of luck in your journey to better health!
  • 90to20
    90to20 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it looks like you had breakfast for lunch, and then dinner for dinner. You're drank 11 glasses of water today, which could contribute to that so full your nauseous feeling. If you feel fine today, then you feel fine. Try to eat to your calorie goal tomorrow. One bad day is nothing to worry about. Just get back on the horse as you can.

I suggest at least a piece of fruit in the morning, if you feel you can't have more.

Before I even started "dieting" I was eating less than 1000 cals per day for the past 3 months or so, the only reason why I brought this up was because people were starting to ask me if I had an eating disorder and I've never even explored that or knew anything about them. I knew that as soon as I realized how uncomfortable I was in my own skin that I was eating a lot less, but I didn't think I was depriving myself. Thanks for the input, I'll try that.
  • 90to20
    Options
    If you are honestly full then don't eat. It will catch up to you. Tomorrow you will probably be starving. I have days that eat under my calorie goal and then the next day I eat over by 200 calories. If it all evens out over the week, then don't worry about that. The only thing that was a little concerning was the "you feel guilty when you eat" part. You should eat when you are hungry - period. How much do you have to lose anyway? From your profile pic, it looks like you are pretty close to a healthy weight.

If you are having trouble finding calorie dense foods then you aren't trying hard enough. You don't have to eat much of the following to hit 300 extra calories: Peanut butter, granola, nuts, ice cream, cake. :wink:

Ok, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I am 5'3" and I currently weigh 190 lbs (my heaviest), but my profile pic was taken 2 weeks ago. I feel like I don't look like I'm 190 lbs but I have so much trouble with how I look, I am in tears pretty much every time I see my reflection. But I am going to just try to eat more of what I'm eating now. Thanks again!
  • 90to20
    Options
    Like one of the users above said, if you feel fine, it's fine- but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Eating too little and exercising too much can really put stress on your body- even if you're a healthy or overweight BMI- and what happens then: amenorrhea, nutritional deficiency, muscle deterioration and cramps, more prone to injury, etc... I'm sure you know the consequences, otherwise you wouldn't be posting here out of concern. You want to work with your body, not against it, basically. A sensible diet and activity level will get you back to your optimal weight set point.

Thank you for the feedback that makes sense. I don't want to injure my body.
  • 90to20
    Options
    Hunger is not always the best indicator of whether or not we're getting enough to eat. The hormones that control your hunger cues can be suppressed by too many things, including periods of undereating, stress, or exercise. You have to look at things like energy levels, mood, healthy skin & nails, gym performance, etc.

A day here and there below your calories is no big deal. But feelings of guilt around food and having a hard time eating enough every day should be taken seriously.

I have gone through a lot of stress lately (passing of my sister due to cancer, passing of my grandmother due to age) as well as some home and domestic arguments and fights I've been getting into. I'll keep this in mind and maybe talk to my psychiatric doctor about the issues.
  • 90to20
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but I suspect you are eating more calories than you think you are. From viewing the two days of your diary, it appears you are not weighing your food, therefore your portions are probably more calories than what you put in.

For example, how much a half of a peach or five berries weighs is is probably more than that "serving" amount you use.

Also, you get your calorie burns from MFP, some other website, or the exercise machines, correct? You are young but if that's you in your profile picture then you don't weight very much. Therefore, it's highly doubtful that you burned 300+ calories on a 20 minute run.

As for future eating disorder- I don't know, but I'm sensing some issues with food. Since that is your question, I suggest talking to a professional.

The best of luck to you.
    [/quote]

Hi there,
    I am actually not using completely MFP related content in my calorie gain/burn amounts. I actually scan my barcodes for the most part, and I am using the content from the actual barcodes. I ate 3 slices of the peach, and I literally had only 5 blackberries with my yogurt. As for the gym, I am using the information provided of disntance/cals burned/time/etc to calculate how much I lost, I just make sure it's equivalent to what's on MFP, but thank you for the suggestion, I'll keep in mind that it's not all completely accurate.

I'm aware that in my profile picture I don't appear to weigh this much, even in real life I don't appear to weight this much. This picture was taken 2 weeks ago and I honestly don't know where I'm hiding 190 lbs. People say I look anywhere from 140-160 lbs and no one would ever guess that I'm 190 lbs or size 9/12 Canadian.

The only reason why I brought up the eating disorder is that a couple people now have been concerned about it and I never thought of it, so I think I will talk to a doctor about it. Thanks for your help.
  • 90to20
    Options

You don't know how tall she is...

I'm aware I look a lot smaller than 190 lbs in my profile pic which was taken 2 weeks ago. On a usual day I eat under 1000 cals and lots of people have told me that's extremely unhealthy to have under 1200 cals, this is the reason why I'm asking to MFP community to ask for opinions.

My height is 5'3" and maybe a half but I am quite short and I do not look my weight at all, but I am in fact, a size 9-12 Candian.

Thank you for the advice on the water. I thought it would help me loose weight faster but maybe that's the problem. I'll try to drink less.
  • 90to20
    Options
    One short day does not make an eating disorder. However, consistently eating such low amounts of calories can cause your metabolism to slow. If you look at programs like intermittent fasting, you'll see that going through periods where you're not eating is fine, but it requires close maintenance of your macro-nutrients and calories.

If you're just now starting the diet and activity, you should probably start slow. Running and biking as quickly as you are, when you're used to a sedentary lifestyle, is not going to be conducive to a well-maintained routine. Don't starve yourself. Don't push yourself too hard. The body will react negatively to overstress and undernourishment. If you want to lead a healthy life, you have to ease into it gradually. Don't look at like you're just doing this to lose weight.

If that's all you're doing it for, then you'll always see it as a chore, and you'll just gain it back later. Just try to form new habits that aren't difficult on your body, and then gradually expand upon them. Instead of sitting in the computer chair or on the couch, walk -- then jog, and then run. Instead of trying to eat nothing but healthy foods all the time, eat foods that are good for you, that you enjoy, and slowly expand your tastes to be healthier. One day, you'll find yourself running and cycling for miles and miles at high speed, and it will be easy, and your grocery list will eventually contain primarily foods that are good for you; however, just as the pyramids weren't built in a day, your healthy body won't be, either.

Best of luck in your journey to better health!

Thanks so much for the advice! Really helped :)
This discussion has been closed.