eating too much sugar ... but its fruit!

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    it seems like I am always eating too much sugar.. it was in the negatives when I ate green grapes for breakfast !?! anyone else having this problem? Should I cut down on my fruit intake?

I don't track sugar. Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, there is no need to. I changed from tracking sugar to tracking fibre. Fibre aids in weight loss amongst other health benefits.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    mFP sugar recommendations are way low..

as longs you are maintaining your deficit, sugar is fine..unless of course you have some medical condition …

eat in a deficit + sugar = you can still lose weight.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    I don't track sugar for this very reason, I can have a small portion of fruit and it goes in the red! I would not bother tracking it unless there is a specific reason you need to monitoring your sugar intake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Per my nutritionist, best time to consume simple carbs is in the morning and just before working out. It's also good to balance it out with some protein as it slows the absorption of the sugar into the blood stream.

lol broscience alert…..
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Ignore the MFP sugar counter. Replace it with something like calcium, fiber, or Vitamin C.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Per my nutritionist, best time to consume simple carbs is in the morning and just before working out. It's also good to balance it out with some protein as it slows the absorption of the sugar into the blood stream.
    Errr Fire your nutritionist that's just nonsense
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    they say fruit sugar is completely different from these process sugars. the most important thing is that fruit sugar is said to be single stage which makes it easier to digest
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Ignore the MFP sugar counter. Replace it with something like calcium, fiber, or Vitamin C.

This. So This.

I replaced Sodium and Sugar with Calcium and Fiber.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    it seems like I am always eating too much sugar.. it was in the negatives when I ate green grapes for breakfast !?! anyone else having this problem? Should I cut down on my fruit intake?

If you are eating in a deficit - munch on and enjoy.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    take the sugar meter off of your macros bar, replace it with something else. You can eat as much fruit as you want. Sugar does not make you fat, fat makes you fat. I eat 200-300 grams of carbs/sugar a day. Don't worry about fruits.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/

Fat does not make you fat and NO you can't eat as much fruit as you want.

Well, I guess it depends on what your goals are. If your goals are just to watch some arbitrary number called a calorie count and exercise yourself to death to lose weight, then fine eat as much as you want.

However, if your goals are for good health now and going into the future, it is best to have only 1 or 2 servings of fruit per day and the rest should come from vegetables.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Ignore the sugar, and just worry about your total calories and macros.. I go over my sugar everyday because of fruit, but I stay within my carb macro and calorie goals.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    take the sugar meter off of your macros bar, replace it with something else. You can eat as much fruit as you want. Sugar does not make you fat, fat makes you fat. I eat 200-300 grams of carbs/sugar a day. Don't worry about fruits.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/

Fat does not make you fat and NO you can't eat as much fruit as you want.

Well, I guess it depends on what your goals are. If your goals are just to watch some arbitrary number called a calorie count and exercise yourself to death to lose weight, then fine eat as much as you want.

However, if your goals are for good health now and going into the future, it is best to have only 1 or 2 servings of fruit per day and the rest should come from vegetables.
    Only 1-2 per day if your goals are good health?? Says who??
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Cavemen?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Cavemen?

Yes because Neanderthal man had a 2 a day policy. It has only been in the last several years that it was increased to 5 and that includes veg as well.

Personally I would only have a 1 a day policy, but I'm strict on a strict oldio diet!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Too much fruit makes me ravenous, but if it doesn't bother you, why not eat it?
  • cyberlucy
    cyberlucy Posts: 17 Member
    There is so much varying literature about this and it seems to be reflected in this discussion. My default sugar setting seems to be a lot higher than whats been mentioned probably because I do 60-75 minutes of Cardio most days. Sugar in fruit is different than the refined sugar. It doesn't tax your system to process fruit sugar in the same way that processing refined sugar does.. I've cut refined sugar out completely from my diet. I eat a banana a day as well as some form of berry. I also have either an apple, a pear, an orange, or a couple of kiwis a day. On top of this I'm also eating at least 2 pounds of veggie both cooked and raw, some of which has naturally occurring sugars. I also have a small amount of non-fat dairy in the week which contains sugar. I'm losing weight I'm loosing weight because I'm creating a calorie deficit. It's pretty much that simple. My advice from my experience is don't worry about the sugar if you aren't eating refined sugar.
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    I ignore the sugar from fruits and watch only the processed sugars.
  • Eating too much fruit actually CAN make you fat. With an average 2000 calorie diet you should be eating around 2 cups of fruit. Fruit has calories and sugar even if it's good for you. Sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad. Try keeping your fruit servings down to 2 cups and eating around 2 1/2 cups of veggies.
  • Facts about sugar in fruit...

The sugar in fruit is different than sugar in other foods. The sugar is in the fiber of the fruit, which means it slowly releases the sugar into your blood stream instead of all at once....like cookies or cake would do. Also because of the slow release it is highly unlikely your body would store sugar, instead it will use these sugars up first.

Just be very careful with juice drinks. In the process of making juice you literally squeeze the sugar out of the fiber. The fiber, which is what gives the sugar the slow release feature, is gone and therefore so is the sugars ability to release slowly. Juice still has some nice vitamins, but it should not be consumed as much or in replace of fruit.
  • Facts about sugar in fruit...

The sugar in fruit is different than sugar in other foods. The sugar is in the fiber of the fruit, which means it slowly releases the sugar into your blood stream instead of all at once....like cookies or cake would do. Also because of the slow release it is highly unlikely your body would store sugar, instead it will use these sugars up first.

Just be very careful with juice drinks. In the process of making juice you literally squeeze the sugar out of the fiber. The fiber, which is what gives the sugar the slow release feature, is gone and therefore so is the sugars ability to release slowly. Juice still has some nice vitamins, but it should not be consumed as much or in replace of fruit.