Are you a Clean Eater?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about ingredients on a food label.
    I must be missing something here!
    So my lunch is tuna, egg, lettuce, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil, vinegar, black pepper, capers, lemon juice.

If I made it myself it would be clean despite having eleven ingredients rather than five but if I buy it ready prepared (packaged no less!) with an ingredient label on it then it becomes dirty?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

So my lunch is tuna, egg, lettuce, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil, vinegar, black pepper, capers, lemon juice.

If I made it myself it would be clean despite having eleven ingredients rather than five but if I buy it ready prepared (packaged no less!) with an ingredient label on it then it becomes dirty?

but if you had bought salad dressing rather than using oil and vinegar, there might also be fillers, sweetners ... and other things that are unnecessary but cheper than oil and vinegar
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I always wash my food before eating it

Oh, I LOLed when someone turned up in the gym with a can of paleo energy drink. You what? HOW is that unprocessed. Someone put it in a can FGS. It has had to go through a process to get to that state. All food is processed. I process my lunchtime salad by taking stuff from bags and putting it all in a bowl.

INPUT > PROCESS > OUTPUT
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Um whoa this BLEW up LOL

What I mean by "clean eating" (FOR ME!) Is eliminating any DIET foods, ie Weight Watchers, South Beach, Lean Cuisine... that full of sodium processed junk. <<That i wish my friend who is 5'3 and weighs almost 300 pounds would STOP eating! I beileve it is doing her bp/fat loss more harm than good>>

I do enjoy a baked good, chocolate, ice cream, and cheesecake, once a month. I find that if I cut it off completely, i will binge. And of course when I go to a concert... i have to drink!!!! It's a rule :P lol

ETA: I should also add: Medifast, Herbalife, and Plexus Slim

I eat Atkins and Lean Cuisine frozen meals. I ate them a lot when I lost my first 40 lbs. I guess I did it wrong?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about ingredients on a food label.

dirty!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

but if you had bought salad dressing rather than using oil and vinegar, there might also be fillers, sweetners ... and other things that are unnecessary but cheper than oil and vinegar

lol, so the injection of salad dressing makes it more dirty???? What if it is organic salad dressing from unicorn farms????
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I live by the 5 second rule, does that count as clean eater?
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    **walks into her kitchen, opens the freezer, looks at her Lean Cuisine boxes......closes the freezer, sits on the floor and cries since she will never be part of the cool clean-eaters now...**
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't define my foods with unnecessary labels that can't be satisfactorily defined. It's too much work to stress over whether a food is clean or dirty.

Take a taco salad. It's considered a dirty food. A very dirty food, but what is it really?

Did mashing the beans make them less of a bean?
    Did shredding the lettuce make it less of a lettuce?
    Dicing the tomato?
    Mixing water into the corn masa to make the shell?
    Is it the ground beef?
    The pico or salsa?
    The shredded cheese?
    The extra hot sauce?
    The sour cream?
    How about the chili powder and cilantro?

Individually, these items are consumed by people who call themselves "clean eaters" all the time. But combine them, and they're suddenly evil. This is just an example. You can deconstruct a pizza, a cheeseburger, or any number of foods and the definition changes.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wash all my food, including protein powder.
  • jtjunkie
    jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wash my hands before I eat, does that count?
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean most of the time. I realize that I can eat more food by eating healthy and feeling more satisfied than when I eat a slice of pizza, burger etc. Also, I feel so much better physically (and less guilty). This doesn't mean that I stop eating food that I like (cheese).

I like chicken breast, shrimp, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, low fat milk, low fat cream cheese, cottage cheese, turkey breast, turkey burgers, sweet potatoes, zucchini, etc.
  • JMKARR
    JMKARR Posts: 1
    Options
    I've cut out sugar completely and avoid processed foods, no bread, pasta, cookies, cake, tortillas. I don't eat potatoes, do eat sweet potatoes. Meats I'll eat lean ground turkey, chicken,turkey bacon and fish. I eat quinoa, black beans, lots of spinach, asparagus, avocado, tomatoes, pretty much any vegetables, no corn, and certain fruits: berries (not strawberries), grapefruit every day, I switch between decaf & caf coffee, lots of water, no juice. Do eat cheese, feta and blue in moderation.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    99.9% of the time I am a very clean eater but when those DAMN peeps come out or those jelly beans I usally turn into a very dirty eater!!! just give me the stale peeps and no one will get hurt!!!:laugh:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've cut out sugar completely and avoid processed foods, no bread, pasta, cookies, cake, tortillas. I don't eat potatoes, do eat sweet potatoes. Meats I'll eat lean ground turkey, chicken,turkey bacon and fish. I eat quinoa, black beans, lots of spinach, asparagus, avocado, tomatoes, pretty much any vegetables, no corn, and certain fruits: berries (not strawberries), grapefruit every day, I switch between decaf & caf coffee, lots of water, no juice. Do eat cheese, feta and blue in moderation.
    Eats turkey bacon and decaffinated coffee but avoids processed foods.....

Nope - still confused!!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

You cut out sugar completely, yet you eat food??? how did you cut out sugar completely??
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My idea of clean eating would include organic, grass fed, GMO free. I could never afford it. If I ever win the lottery I'm going down one of two paths: Snobby clean eater who shops daily at Whole Foods, or fat, rich, happy witch (spelled with a B) who doesn't give a damn.

Not sure which yet, if I ever win that lottery, I'll figure it out then. A dilemma I would love to have.
  • djslickrix
    Options
    I only eat clean when I'm trying to lower my body fat, but when I eat at maintenance or when I''m bulking I eat whatever I want, the only exception is that I have replaced all my drinks with water. With maybe one actual fizzy drink/soda a week.
  • SecretDuck
    Options
    I don't eat clean completely. If I want that peri peri chicken lunch from Tesco, I'll have it as long as it fits my macros and calories goal.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    clean eater