deep thinking about our existance

Options
mhopp71
mhopp71 Posts: 46 Member
Is it more reasonable to believe that no one created something out of nothing or someone created something out of nothing?

Replies

• mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    I'm pretty sure neither are reasonable. In our perception and ability to understand, of course.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    its most reasonable to believe what you are capable of believing in this current incarnation of you

our desire to always attach a definitive "thing" to our whys, whens,wheres & hows about our existence is getting old though

(especially the old man with a beard sitting on clouds thing) :wink:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure neither are reasonable. In our perception and ability to understand, of course.

this
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There couldn't exist someone *and* nothing simultaneously. The former is the only logical option (assuming, of course, that your understanding of the verb "create" is flexible enough to include the absence of intent).
  • OhioTallGuy
    Options
    This could get deep real fast!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I think "nothing" is very hard for most to fully visualize...
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    4oS2u.gif

“Silence is sometimes the best answer”
    ― Dalai Lama
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Is it more reasonable to believe that no one created something out of nothing or someone created something out of nothing?

topic is destined for lock.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I am too tired for existentialism.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    How can something be real when our eyes aren't real?
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind." -- Einstein

My exact thoughts about a creator and our ridiculous "reasonable" discussions about it.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Man is man made ... oh and so are the gods.

To think that some invisible friend created us but was it's self not created by it's own invisible friend .. etc.. etc.. ad infinitum is quit frankly daft.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." -John Lennon
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Metaphysical arguments are designed merely to exercise the mind. For every metaphysical statement that can be made to support the existence of a higher power charged with creation, an equally convincing quasi-metaphysical statement can be made to refute it. In the end, both positions must acknowledge that the foundation of the argument is unknowable. We could discuss the transcental ideality of space and time a la Kant; we could discuss the rejection of metaphysics by atheists (while simultaneously asking "if there is no metaphysical, what is the mind, or more accurately, what is a thought?") or we could confuse ourselves while trying to decipher Wittgenstein.

In the end, the only true answer is "I don't know."
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ancient-Aliens-Meme-Hair-Guy-0131-600x630_zpsb41dee5b.jpg
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Instead, I'd ask the question like this:

"Is it more reasonable to posit a natural explanation for the universe, or a supernatural one?"
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I believe in a thing called love

tumblr_lyv1muCOPe1r70o2qo1_500.gif
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's no way to know anything.

Would an ant be able to comprehend that you were sitting next to his anthill and texting on a cell phone while also working on your term paper on evolution?
  • levicrouch
    Options
    I think we as humans get ahead of ourselves and 'solve the problem'*, then make up\draw conclusions to support that hypothesis. I believe this line of thinking doesn't get us to correct answer.

We (as humans) should approach the problem with baby steps, quantify what we can, and hope that we can, as a species, best define our existence.

* 'Solving the problem', IMO is that we decide that either there is or is not, an intelligent creator.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    In the end, the only true answer is "I don't know."
    QFT