What if there were no "free refills"?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

So because you don't like paying for other people's healthcare with your hard-earned money (and who does), we should pass more laws that would cost us MORE money to enforce and would do absolutely nothing to remedy the problem, all while restricting personal freedom. Wow, with great ideas like that, you'd fit right in in Washington talking that nonsense. Maybe you should consider running for office.

I'm not sure what you mean about legislation costing more money. From what I know of the legislation being proposed in some local municipalities, the costs that would be incurred would be for those selling beverages that are currently only available in sizes larger than the proposed maximums. They would have to redesign their packaging.

And I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to deter people from falling prey to marketing tactics that harm our health. Then again, the big corporations who currently profit from those tactics have spent billions to air television and radio ads to try to sway public opinion in their favor, playing it off as some sort on infringement on our freedoms. If they can afford the ads, they can afford to retool their production lines.

Why not just have the government do all your thinking for you?
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are saying you only get free refills in the US clearly haven't been to many restaurant chains in the UK - Harvester, Frankie and Benny's, Nando's...to name just a few.

Stop slating Americans!! You are just as likely to be obese here in the UK (dubbed the fattest country in Europe FYI) as you are across the pond.

Eat properly and you won't be fat. End of...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Just feels so damn unamerican to take away something we currently get for free. I usually do unsweetened iced tea or water and they better keep em coming!! :wink:

Well, I would hope that if refills are no longer free they will stop charging $2 for a coke, but that is probably a pipe dream on my part. The free refill schtick helps restaurants justify ridiculous mark-ups on sodas.

I am from the US but currently live in Finland. The only place I know of that offers free refills is Burger King, but I don't eat fast food that much. If anything, soft drinks are more expensive here, for example a large soda at McDonalds is 2,45€, or about $3.20. I rarely order soft drinks because they are so expensive. In shops a bottle of diet coke is about 1,90€.

I knew about this before I moved here, so I gave up my cola habit. In my last workplace in the States there were free unlimited cans of soda from coolers in the office. It was really hard to stop but now I'm glad I did.

Obesity isn't as prevalent here but it is rising after a very successful government campaign in the 80s to promote healthier eating, exercise and disease management, which lowered rates of heart disease and diabetes. Unfortunately junk food culture is here now and I think getting worse all the time. I think the issue of weight management is more complicated than just saying "people should just have more self-control, like me". I believe now that government can take a role in promoting healthy lifestyles without trying to control what people can and can't eat by legislation.

No thanks. I prefer to be in control of my own life. :yawn: :noway:

what part of the post about Finland had people not having control of their own lives?

I agree that 'governments can take a role in promoting healthy lifestyles without trying to control what people can and cant eat by legislation'.

This is very much the case in Australia - the government runs many healthy lifestyle campaigns- about eating, being sun-smart, having pap smears, having vaccinations etc.

Promoting healthy lifestyles isn't legislation nor is it enforcing those healthy choices onto anyone - everyone is still 'in control of their own life'
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are saying you only get free refills in the US clearly haven't been to many restaurant chains in the UK - Harvester, Frankie and Benny's, Nando's...to name just a few.

Stop slating Americans!! You are just as likely to be obese here in the UK (dubbed the fattest country in Europe FYI) as you are across the pond.

That's just it. You just proved my point. UK-- free refills--fattest country in Europe! It's useless to say eat properly when so many cave in to temptation.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean about legislation costing more money. From what I know of the legislation being proposed in some local municipalities, the costs that would be incurred would be for those selling beverages that are currently only available in sizes larger than the proposed maximums. They would have to redesign their packaging.

And I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to deter people from falling prey to marketing tactics that harm our health. Then again, the big corporations who currently profit from those tactics have spent billions to air television and radio ads to try to sway public opinion in their favor, playing it off as some sort on infringement on our freedoms. If they can afford the ads, they can afford to retool their production lines.

You really don't see any additional costs? Who do you think enforces laws? You're going to need more government workers to monitor restaurants to see whether they are following this refill legislation and you're going to need attorneys and staff to enforce this nonsensical legislation. All for what - something as trivial as making people buy additional sodas instead of getting refills? And what about diet sodas - is there an exemption for those? How about sweet tea? How about sugary coffee drinks - I guess we should just shut Starbucks down. Wine? Beer? Should we bring back prohibition because those drinks have calories as well? We better outlaw buffets as well, since those aren't controlled portions, and family barbecues should be restricted to fixed portions as well. Let's just make going back for seconds a felony.

There's no "retooling of production lines" for free refills. It's a service and suggesting government should regulate such a service is absolute nonsense. At the end of the day, having the government implement something is a horribly inefficient way to go about it. The real problem is that your healthcare costs are tied to other people's health. Asking for government to micromanage what other people do is not the answer; untying your healthcare costs to other people's health is.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

That's just it. You just proved my point. UK-- free refills--fattest country in Europe! It's useless to say eat properly when so many cave in to temptation.

computer-facepalm.gif

<<<Of course, I am in the "obese" category though.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

So because you don't like paying for other people's healthcare with your hard-earned money (and who does), we should pass more laws that would cost us MORE money to enforce and would do absolutely nothing to remedy the problem, all while restricting personal freedom. Wow, with great ideas like that, you'd fit right in in Washington talking that nonsense. Maybe you should consider running for office.

No, businesses do not, and never will, absorb costs. It will get passed on to you in one way or another. I take it economics isn't something taught in schools anymore.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and live in Asia and I've never seen free refills on soft drinks here.