Future Eating Disorder?

Options
124»

Replies

• 90to20
    90to20 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, my intention is not to be cruel. We are concerned about ED issues.

It's ok I'm not offended by you personally, I just feel like people aren't understanding WHY I posted this topic. It wasn't for attention or to "troll" anyone! It was because people I know in real life and on MFP are concerned about my calories, but my mom on the other hand thinks I eat too much. I am really torn and I am looking for help, that's all.

Your mom is wrong. Probably one of many things you will find your parents were wrong about as you grow into adulthood. It is unhealthy to eat that little and serves no purpose.

It was almost 3 years ago. I don't need to know unnecessary information about something that is in the past.
  • 90to20
    Options
    Not to get overly personal but as a woman you also have a bit of a built in barometer as to whether or not you are malnourished in the form of your period. If you eat that little consistently you will end up disrupting your natural cycle and your periods will stop. This is a HUGE red flag that basically your body is starting to shut down some of its natural functions because you are not supplying it with enough nutrients and calories. Best not to wait until that happens.

Ok thanks for the info. Could you please confirm for me exactly what you mean by "that little" because I'm not sure if you're referring to my past or my current diet. Thanks!
  • 90to20
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about one day, but definitely don't make a habit of it! Eventually, netting so few calories will catch up to you...and it's a pain in the bum when it does! You basically will end up choosing between your body shutting itself down or deciding to eat more (and when you do choose to you know, not die, you'll gain not only a bunch of weight back but also a bunch of fantastic digestive problems that make the necessary eating really terrible. Eat all of your calories! They are good for you :)

Ok well I will keep this in mind. I feel like my exercise calories are actually about half of what this website says they are, but even at that it seems like everyone on this site can agree that I should be eating at least 1200 cals before taking off exercise cals.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you are netting 150 cal in a day, it is not a future eating disorder, but a current eating disorder if this is a habit. Listen to Dianne and give your body some time to adjust to the changes. You need to be HEALTHY.
  • 90to20
    Options
    If you are netting 150 cal in a day, it is not a future eating disorder, but a current eating disorder if this is a habit. Listen to Dianne and give your body some time to adjust to the changes. You need to be HEALTHY.

okay. thanks.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not to get overly personal but as a woman you also have a bit of a built in barometer as to whether or not you are malnourished in the form of your period. If you eat that little consistently you will end up disrupting your natural cycle and your periods will stop. This is a HUGE red flag that basically your body is starting to shut down some of its natural functions because you are not supplying it with enough nutrients and calories. Best not to wait until that happens.

Ok thanks for the info. Could you please confirm for me exactly what you mean by "that little" because I'm not sure if you're referring to my past or my current diet. Thanks!

You said you netted 860 caloiries today. I mean that little.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I don't mean this to sound harsh at all, but if you have been eating so few calories, how are you not losing any weight at all? How long have you been eating less than 1,000 calories?

Please get professional help because your posting history indicates some serious issues with weight and body image.

With all due respect, I am one of the people who has a hard time believing you weight 190 pounds because of your pictures. I'm 5 ft 4 and carry my weight well, and people didn't believe it when I weighed 190, but I looked nowhere as small as you do. Can you see how small you look in your pictures?

I'm not saying you are lying about your weight, but I am encouraging you to get a new scale because I think it's whacked. :smile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I also find the 190 pounds doubtful based on your profile images considering I am a 6' tall man with about 25 pounds to lose (37'' waist and can pinch 40mm by calipers on my belly) and I currently weight 182 pounds. I am quite clearly larger than you and male and yet I weigh less than you? I doubt that.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I don't know, man, my mom's been 190+ since she was like 30. She's 5'3" and she sure doesn't look like the OP...
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

Stumbled upon this topic and felt like I wanted to send a reply and support - I've been using MyFitnessPal for a little while, and I come from a family background that was "plagued" with an eating disorder mentality, even if certain members of my family never had a full blown eating disorder.

I, myself, suffered from an ED for quite a while, and it took a long time for me to come out of that box. One of my biggest fears during that period, and still today, is feeling guilty for what I eat/what I don't eat. At this point, it works both ways. I have good days and bad days. I still feel guilty, quite sporadically, at eating anything.

If you grow up around parents or family that may push you a bit harder or seem disapproving of your weight (even in the slightest bit, sometimes), this can lend to a feeling of guilt over eating. This does not mean you will have a future eating disorder, by any means! But this does mean that you should be careful measuring your comfort with food and your eating habits. If you ever start feeling extreme guilt, to the point that you don't eat, or start feeling very unsteady around other people eating or alone with food in general, I would suggest seeing someone.

I will say that since joining MyFitnessPal, I have felt so much better and healthier, and enjoy keeping track of my food and exercise - and rarely feel any guilt regarding eating at all. I hope MFP can do the same for you! :)
  • 90to20
    Options
    I don't mean this to sound harsh at all, but if you have been eating so few calories, how are you not losing any weight at all? How long have you been eating less than 1,000 calories?

Please get professional help because your posting history indicates some serious issues with weight and body image.

With all due respect, I am one of the people who has a hard time believing you weight 190 pounds because of your pictures. I'm 5 ft 4 and carry my weight well, and people didn't believe it when I weighed 190, but I looked nowhere as small as you do. Can you see how small you look in your pictures?

I'm not saying you are lying about your weight, but I am encouraging you to get a new scale because I think it's whacked. :smile:

As I've stated 20 times before, the pictures I posted are pictures that I felt comfortable posting. They WERE taken 2 weeks ago, I DO weigh 188.8 lbs as of today but 190 lbs 4 days ago when I last checked, and I AM 5'3". My problem areas as I've stated 20 times before, are my stomach, and my back for the most part, as well as my upper arms, which if you looked at my photos you could actually tell my arms aren't HUGE but they are quite big. Just because I know how to pose with my legs apart, my butt out, and I know how to dress myself, doesn't mean I'm a liar.

You can check out my blog where I post pics that are of me without a shirt and with only a slight pose. http://90to20.blogspot.ca/ but I don't feel like I need to keep proving anything to anyone anymore. I started this thread looking for SUPPORT which is what this site is all about, and everyone gets offended because I don't look a certain way. You are the people who are making me feel EVEN MORE insecure which is NOT what I came here for.

I don't lose weight from not eating so many calories because I was eating the wrong things. Gluten and bread and all the crap makes me feel really sick and makes me gain super fast, but I wasn't listening to my body because I was so stressed with what was going on in my life. I found it hard to even gather up the energy to get out of bed in the morning.
  • 90to20
    Options
    I also find the 190 pounds doubtful based on your profile images considering I am a 6' tall man with about 25 pounds to lose (37'' waist and can pinch 40mm by calipers on my belly) and I currently weight 182 pounds. I am quite clearly larger than you and male and yet I weigh less than you? I doubt that.

I am 5'3" and you are 6' and you weigh less than me. How would it make sense if you were bigger than me???? You're the person not making any sense lol
  • 90to20
    Options
    I don't know, man, my mom's been 190+ since she was like 30. She's 5'3" and she sure doesn't look like the OP...

http://90to20.blogspot.ca/
  • 90to20
    Options
    Hey OP,

Stumbled upon this topic and felt like I wanted to send a reply and support - I've been using MyFitnessPal for a little while, and I come from a family background that was "plagued" with an eating disorder mentality, even if certain members of my family never had a full blown eating disorder.

I, myself, suffered from an ED for quite a while, and it took a long time for me to come out of that box. One of my biggest fears during that period, and still today, is feeling guilty for what I eat/what I don't eat. At this point, it works both ways. I have good days and bad days. I still feel guilty, quite sporadically, at eating anything.

If you grow up around parents or family that may push you a bit harder or seem disapproving of your weight (even in the slightest bit, sometimes), this can lend to a feeling of guilt over eating. This does not mean you will have a future eating disorder, by any means! But this does mean that you should be careful measuring your comfort with food and your eating habits. If you ever start feeling extreme guilt, to the point that you don't eat, or start feeling very unsteady around other people eating or alone with food in general, I would suggest seeing someone.

I will say that since joining MyFitnessPal, I have felt so much better and healthier, and enjoy keeping track of my food and exercise - and rarely feel any guilt regarding eating at all. I hope MFP can do the same for you! :)

Thank you so much. This post helped a lot. That makes a lot of sense and I'm going to save this to my laptop. Most of the MFP community has been SO supportive, but this post has gotten a lot of hate and people calling me a liar and this crap that I wasn't looking for when I thought I was going to get some support and tips. I'm sorry to hear about your past, but again I don't understand why people keep bringing up the past as if it was so important. What's important is to live in the NOW and people just don't understand that. Thank you for all the advice and support. I really appreciate it...add me if you want to be friends :)

xo
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Someone may have said this already, but the world isn't split into just people with EDs and "normal" eaters. You can have very unhealthy, disordered eating patterns and an unhealthy relationship with food without having a diagnosable ED. Your question should be "am I eating enough to fully fuel my body and meet all my nutritional needs?" And "am I approaching food in a healthy manner?"

You know the answer to both of those questions is No.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I am 5'3" and you are 6' and you weigh less than me. How would it make sense if you were bigger than me???? You're the person not making any sense lol

I mean I am much larger than you, I am 9 inches taller than you and male. You might have a higher percentage bodyfat than me (most certainly considering you are female) but I am looking at your pictures and I am most certainly a physically larger person than you. You are absolutely right that it doesn't make sense that you would weigh more than me.

How do you determine your weight exactly? A scale in your home?
  • 90to20
    Options

I mean I am much larger than you, I am 9 inches taller than you and male. You might have a higher percentage bodyfat than me (most certainly considering you are female) but I am looking at your pictures and I am most certainly a physically larger person than you. You are absolutely right that it doesn't make sense that you would weigh more than me.

I've used 2 different digital scales at home and 1 manual scale at the gym. I do weigh what I am, and I think if you look at my more revealing photos on my blog that you will understand how I could weigh that much. I also have a bit of muscle in my legs especially from swimming competitively for 9 years for I haven't swam in a couple years now, and I have had some really traumatic events in my life since I stopped. I gained almost 50 lbs in less than a year and then another 10 or so in the past couple months.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I've used 2 different digital scales at home and 1 manual scale at the gym. I do weigh what I am, and I think if you look at my more revealing photos on my blog that you will understand how I could weigh that much. I also have a bit of muscle in my legs especially from swimming competitively for 9 years for I haven't swam in a couple years now, and I have had some really traumatic events in my life since I stopped. I gained almost 50 lbs in less than a year and then another 10 or so in the past couple months.

Alright I'll drop it. I hope you can appreciate where this doubt you are experiencing in the forum is coming from though. In your profile pictures you look downright slender complete with a thigh gap and you say you are 5' 3''. It is literarly difficult to believe you weigh 190 pounds but if you do you do.

It is off topic though. The question is if you are destined for an eating disorder. I'd say it sounds like you are being pushed that way and are starting to justify netting extremely low numbers of calories. I don't think you have one right now and you seem self-aware enough to avoid going down that road. I think you should trust your instincts when they tell you that 800 calories isn't enough food though because those instincts are right.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

As I've stated 20 times before, the pictures I posted are pictures that I felt comfortable posting. They WERE taken 2 weeks ago, I DO weigh 188.8 lbs as of today but 190 lbs 4 days ago when I last checked, and I AM 5'3". My problem areas as I've stated 20 times before, are my stomach, and my back for the most part, as well as my upper arms, which if you looked at my photos you could actually tell my arms aren't HUGE but they are quite big. Just because I know how to pose with my legs apart, my butt out, and I know how to dress myself, doesn't mean I'm a liar.

You can check out my blog where I post pics that are of me without a shirt and with only a slight pose. http://90to20.blogspot.ca/ but I don't feel like I need to keep proving anything to anyone anymore. I started this thread looking for SUPPORT which is what this site is all about, and everyone gets offended because I don't look a certain way. You are the people who are making me feel EVEN MORE insecure which is NOT what I came here for.

I don't lose weight from not eating so many calories because I was eating the wrong things. Gluten and bread and all the crap makes me feel really sick and makes me gain super fast, but I wasn't listening to my body because I was so stressed with what was going on in my life. I found it hard to even gather up the energy to get out of bed in the morning.
    I didn't say you were lying, I said I don't think you are and that something is wrong with your scale. I did look at your pictures at your blog and you still don't look like you weigh 190, thus it seems to me you carry your weight extremely well. What a plus!

The part I put in bold above are disordered statements regarding food and weight. You can't eat under a thousand calories of the "wrong" stuff and gain weight. However, you can eat well over your TDEE of all the right stuff and gain weight. The only thing that the type of food has to do with is contributing to how we personally feel when eating it, or if it makes us crave more food and we begin overeating, or how our body and/or psyche reacts to the food, all of which is different for everyone.

Weight loss is calories in/calories out only.

As I've said numerous times, please get help now because I don't think you have a future eating disorder, I think you have one now.

I wish you the best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.