A pretty crappy subject...

Options

Replies

• thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would aim for much more magnesium in your diet. Try drinking Natural Calm. It's a magnesium powder that you add to water. I drink it every other day when I'm not dieting and every single day when I am dieting (or when I'm pregnant). It keeps the **** moving. It's available on Amazon in different flavors.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    fat 47
    protein 70
    carbs 175

I am almost always over my protein, however.

Over on protein is good, but we need dietary fats, too. Especially women - they help regulate our hormones, along with digestion and nutrient absorption, etc..

How big is your deficit from your maintenance calories? You've lost a lot, and according to your ticker you are getting close to your goal. You should be ramping your calories up to lower your deficit the closer you get to your goal weight, anyway. You may be able to up your fat goal that way.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I found that doing "twists" in my yoga or Barre3 everyday takes care of the constipation - in addition to making sure I balance out my macros. I don't eat bread rice potatoes or pasta. Most of carbs come from dairy, avocados, bananas, etc. I have found that just about any sugary treat mucks my system up pretty bad and leads to severe hunger pangs.

The water helps tremendously.
  • Jl1188
    Jl1188 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start taking the magnesium daily. Make sure its just magnesium with no zinc added as for some reason that doesn't work as well. This alone has done wonders for me. I take 1 250mg tab in the morning and 2 in the evening. I also use metamucil as the magnesium can make things a bit too runny (TMI, but this is a poop thread).However, it sounds like you may need to use something stronger to get things moving first. I agree with the poster who recommended the Senna tea. Just don't use it for very long or too often.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Constipation is a known side effect of hyperproteic diets. Just have loads of fruit and veg and drink plenty. How long did you go without ehm.. going? And have you tried a laxative before going to A&E??? Or just ask your wife/grandma before wirting a post on the internet???? I am shocked to see how many people are passionate about this topic. lolololol!!!!!
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I talked to my dr about the same issues and she recommended I take calcium supplements with magnesium. I also don't get a lot of dairy and she said the calcium would help with it. I thought it sounded weird, but I went and got some good pills from the gym, where I knew they weren't some cheap brand with fillers and in a few days, I became more regular than I usually am. Now regular for me is still every couple of days, but its better than it used to be like once a week. Good luck.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    In short - they squit a turkey baster of lube up your butt, then you put on a diaper, lay in the MRI machine, and have to poop it out on comand so they can see how your muscles / *kitten* acts.... horrible.... horrible..... shutter....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Your diary's private, so I can't see but are you tracking fibre? And also getting plenty fat, as someone else has said.

I think our NHS guidelines are 18g a day but I am eating higher than recommended protein so my guess is it should be higher still. I changed mine from MFPs recommendation to IIFYM one (it gave me 30 - 39, I think, so I shoot for 35).

Short-term: coffee
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi protein diets can cause constipation - especially if your source of protein comes from something like a shake.

I have gone through the same thing. I went to a nutritionist and he suggested 1000mg of vitamin c several times a day until I almost had diahrea ... once I got to that point I was to cut it back. It actually worked! Now I dont ever really have that problem.

Also vitamin c is water soluble so you just get rid of what you dont need and vitamin c in excess of 3000mg per day is a good way to help reduce belly fat by decreasing your cortisol levels :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Don't take my word for it and do your own research but I've ready in several places that a high protein diet can cause constipation. You want to get enough protein but going way over may not be helpful.
    70 grams of protein shouldn't cause it. That isn't a huge amount.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I completly understand.

I've had GI issues since I was a baby, and I feel like all of my posts on here so far have involved some sort of poop talk. Wait, no, they have, they definetly have.

Here's my advice - my opinion only, as I'm sure some people may disagree and point out the negatives...

1. Just FYI, a GI Doctor may want to do an MRI and it's a horrible, horrible experience, I suggest buying a bottle of vodka and hiding in your basement when its over, and maybe crying a little too.
    2. My PCP and GI recomended over the counter Miralax. I used to take Metamucil but it didn't do anything. The miralax helps. I've take 1-2 capfulls a day, and it keeps me regular. For the past few months I've triend to completely cut it out of my diet (mainly to save $$) and it's worked 85% of the time... I now only take it once a week, at most.
    3. What I've done to change - fish oil - maybe it doesn't help everyone, but it's definetly helped me. Do your research and get a good one.
    4. I drink 130 oz minimum water every day, take a double dose of fiber pills every morning, and have cut out dairy as much as possible (which sucks, because I could eat a block of cheese for every meal). I still eat a little cheese, I just stay away from milk, and yogurt unfortunetly... but...again, it's helped.
    5. Probiotic is always a good idea. I've been told the "best" ones are the refridgerated ones...I don't know much about them but I like the way they make me feel, so it's worth it for me.
    6. "cleanse" (enter the negative coments). I "cleanse" with an over the counter metamucil type drink and herbal supplement (I buy them from Advocare) about every 4 months. Again, I just like the way it makes my system feel, so I do it, and I feel like its better than taking polyethylene glycol every day... and cheaper!! I do it for ten days and it's generally the best I feel in that entire 4 month span (lighter, increased energy, and pooping lots!)
    7. The obvious - water, water, water, fruit, prunes, veggies, fiber, etc. That works for alot of people, unfortunetly i need more, diet alone doesn't keep me "regular" but i'd suggest starting with the obvious then moving down the line... and try the fish oil! Im really becoming a believer in it!
    8. Back to #1, I'm serious, it was horrifying.
    +1 This is all great advice and I am going to steal it. I do not believe in cleanses for toxins but cleanses to get your guts moving is another matter. Prunes are my best friends as is metamucil. Best of luck to you.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I talked to my dr about the same issues and she recommended I take calcium supplements with magnesium. I also don't get a lot of dairy and she said the calcium would help with it. I thought it sounded weird, but I went and got some good pills from the gym, where I knew they weren't some cheap brand with fillers and in a few days, I became more regular than I usually am. Now regular for me is still every couple of days, but its better than it used to be like once a week. Good luck.

I understand the magnesium, one of the strongest laxatives has Mg++ as a base (magnesium citrate) but (pun wasn't intended) I don't understand the calcium. Usually Ca++ is considered constipating.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, OP. Struggled for years, with not one main culprit behind the problem found by any of my doctors.

My main issue is a gluten intolerance, which causes me to have a severe lack of nutrient adsorption despite the foods I eat. Maybe get your blood panel tested for vitamins? Having low vitamin B12 and Vitamin D can really leave you constipated, and it's fairly common to experience lower B12/D in the winter months from getting less sunlight.

I take supplements for nutrients I know I'm low on each day (along with a multivitamin), drink 2-3L of water a day, and I really make an effort to meet or go OVER my fiber macro each day.

Every two days, I take Magnesium Citrate (200mg) along with my lunch. Seems to do the trick for me.

Also, taking Epsom salt baths can help some people (gives you all the salts you may not get in your diet without having to worry about sodium content.)
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Probiotics have helped me ALOT. I used to have chronic constipation, but I took a month round of probiotics, and (TMI statement coming) I poop twice a day now. I also try to eat probiotic foods like yogurt, because I think that while the pill forms help to give you a kickstart, that getting them in your food is probably better.
  • MrsBenTarr
    MrsBenTarr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There's also a natural herbal tea called "Smooth Move" (no lie). This works, also. When I had my tonsils out 4 years ago, I had SUCH a problem after taking the pain meds, and this was the only thing that worked for me.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Slow Mag supplement, two per day. It doesn't work AS well for an acute problem, but keeps you regular if you take it every day first thing in the morning. http://www.slowmag.com/

To the person who asked why you'd need to be hospitalized for constipation... because you can die? That is, when constipation turns into a bowel obstruction. When you see people vomiting feces because they're so backed up, you'll understand why one might need medical care. As a registered nurse, I've put many gastric tubes down, only to receive a liter of fecal matter from their stomachs. And I've had patients whose bowels ruptured from severe constipation/obstruction, so not everyone can "wait it out."
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Well there are also Haribo Hell Bears. Google it. The Amazon reviews are hysterically funny.

Edit: But strictly toilet humor and not necessarily safe for work.
  • Pr1ncessWarrior
    Pr1ncessWarrior Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always have issues with that I tried something a couple of weeks ago but its extreme. Salt water flush....Two teaspoons of sea salt in 100 ml of warm water. This has to be done in the morning because your stomach must be empty Mix well but that wont help the taste at all. I gaged it down as I was desperate. Half hour later I was on the floor and thicking I was about to die...5 mins later throwing up. One hour after the drink I was in the washroom and if you have ever had liquid poo you will if you try this. It was 5 trips to the washroom and the last time it was pretty clear telling me I had cleared it out. I have not had a problem since. Would I do it again if I was backed up again yes but on a day I dont have to go to work.....
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Well there are also Haribo Hell Bears. Google it. The Amazon reviews are hysterically funny.

I am actually crying at my desk right now from laughing so hard at the Amazon.com reviews. Crying.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

I am actually crying at my desk right now from laughing so hard at the Amazon.com reviews. Crying.

:laugh: Another reason it's not safe for work, unless your office happens to be boisterous!