Coffee a yes or a no?

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    About 2 pots of black coffee daily sometimes more... no coffee and my husband's life would be in serious jeopardy.

c874b6ce9e230c7b9b3643adf8bb34d0.jpg
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I"m a coffee drinker, not a huge coffee drinker but i like a cup in the morning and sometimes i have another one througout the day. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about if coffee is good or bad. I've red some info that actually said coffee can keep you from losing weight. Has anybody had any experience with no longer drinking coffee and it helping health wise?
    As you can see coffee has really impinged on my weightloss over the past 15 months.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    gif_shop_coffee.gif

I can honestly say YES I am addicted to coffee. But it has not hurt my weight loss.

^this^ ;)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes. I drink coffee almost all day, every day. Hasn't hurt my progress at all.
  • rachel_vegan
    rachel_vegan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I say no, because I find it dehydrates me. I drink lots of water, try to get enough sleep and drink green tea instead, and I find I have plenty of energy. Regular exercise makes you feel more energized as well. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to caffeine, but it makes me jittery and somewhat anxious. Definitely a no for me.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've red some info that actually said coffee can keep you from losing weight.

If this is the case, it probably has everything to do with what people are putting in their coffee. If you load your coffee up with a ton of creamer and sweetener, then I can see how that may prevent you from losing weight.

I drink four cups of coffee daily and have done so over the past three years and have managed to lose a considerable amount of weight. Keep your coffee simple and I think you'll be fine.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee for your protection. If you want to know why the dinosaurs went extinct. Well, they were stupid, they woke me up one morning with an argument before I had my coffee! My children are much smarter they know better!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Black coffee: yes. Milky looking or sugary coffee: no.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lost 67lbs drinking 3 or 4 coffees a day! I only put milk in it though. I guess if you had a 3 a day latte with cream habit then you might not lose weight so easily! I don't think caffeine itself hinders weight loss.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you like it, nothing wrong with it. My husband gave up caffeine and said it was the best thing he ever did. I gave it up and it was the worst thing I ever did (well not quite but...), even 6 months later I was hating it, so I started again. My life is better with caffeine in it :)
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Like most things there are conflicting studies from "experts" regarding the use of coffee. I have no opinion regarding its effect on weight loss. Regarding its effect on our overall health my opinion is that it should be avoided. When a substance has such a stimulating and perhaps addicting effect on us I think we should question it.
  • afrinak
    afrinak Posts: 3
    Options
    Coffee has helped me lose weight! If I have coffee, I can usually skip breakfast (controversial I know, but I don't need that much energy for a desk job!). An afternoon cup can also sub for a snack. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant, and for me the little bit of cream really fills me up.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If coffee is keeping me from losing weight, it's doing a lousy job. If it's detrimental, it's negligible.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and drink much more than you stated...it obviously hasn't stopped me from losing weight.
  • karenmcwilly53
    karenmcwilly53 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've cut out just about everything, but I will never cut out coffee! :grumble:
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    This just came across my Medscape membership:

The first study to examine whether a change in the amount of tea or coffee consumed has any effect on the subsequent risk for type 2 diabetes among healthy individuals has found that it does, at least for coffee. And the effects become apparent within a relatively short period of time, 4 years.

In this new observational analysis of 3 large US cohorts, those who increased their intake by around one-and-a-half cups of regular coffee per day, on average, had an 11% lower risk for type 2 diabetes over the following 4 years, compared with people who did not alter the amount of coffee they drank, report Shilpa N. Bhupathiraju, PhD, department of nutrition, Harvard Public School of Health, Boston, Massachusetts, and colleagues in the study, published online April 24 in Diabetologia.

And conversely, those who reduced the amount of coffee drunk by a median of 2 cups per day had a 17% higher risk for type 2 diabetes during the next 4 years, relative to those who didn't change their coffee habit.

Changes in tea consumption were not associated with type 2 diabetes risk, possibly because not that many people drank tea or changed the amount of tea they drank, Dr. Bhupathiraju told Medscape Medical News.

Drink up to 6 Cups of Coffee as Part of a Healthy Diet

"Several meta-analyses have been done, and they all say the same thing: higher consumption of coffee is associated with lower risk for type 2 diabetes," Dr. Bhupathiraju explained. "What we did here, and what's novel about this study, is that we looked at actual changes in coffee and tea consumption [by study participants] and what their risk of type 2 diabetes was afterward, compared with those who didn't make any changes."

She stressed, however, "We are talking about a regular, 8-oz [240-mL] cup of coffee here; it's not those big cups of coffee or blended coffees such as cappuccinos or lattes. What we looked at was black coffee, with little or no milk or sugar."

Nevertheless, "based on available evidence — mainly from observational studies, because it's hard to do a clinical trial on dietary outcomes and type 2 diabetes — moderate coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of several health outcomes, such as type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease," she observed.

To further quantify, she said that "up to 6 cups of coffee a day" seems to confer a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. "We need to see coffee drinking as part of an overall good lifestyle, [including] a healthy body weight, being physically active, and consuming a healthy diet."

Caffeinated Coffee, Not Decaf, Seems Most Important

In the new paper, Dr. Bhupathiraju and colleagues used observational data from 3 large prospective, US-based studies: the Nurses' Health Study (NHS; female nurses aged 30–55 years, 1986–2006), the NHS II (younger female nurses aged 25–42 years 1991–2007), and the Health Professionals' Follow-up Study (HPFS; male health professionals aged 40–75 years, 1986–2006). Detailed information on diet, lifestyle, medical conditions, and chronic diseases was collected every 2 to 4 years for over 20 years.

Diet was assessed every 4 years using a validated food frequency questionnaire. Self-reported incident type 2 diabetes cases were validated by supplementary questionnaires. The final analysis included 48,464 women in NHS; 47,510 women in NHS II; and 27,759 men in HPFS.

There were 7269 documented cases of type 2 diabetes.

As well as the noted changes in risk for type 2 diabetes for those increasing or decreasing coffee consumption, compared with those who didn't alter intake, the researchers observed that those with the highest coffee intake who maintained that consumption — referred to as "high-stable consumers" — had the lowest risk for type 2 diabetes overall.

These participants drank 3 cups or more of caffeinated coffee per day consistently and had a 37% lower risk for diabetes than the "low-stable consumers," who downed one cup or less per day.

Dr. Bhupathiraju and colleagues also looked at decaffeinated coffee separately. While baseline decaffeinated coffee consumption was associated with a lower type 2 diabetes risk, alterations in decaffeinated coffee consumption did not change this.

But Dr. Bhupathiraju pointed out that, as with tea, "consumption of decaffeinated coffee was low to begin with, and there wasn't a substantial population of the patients who made changes."

Large Study With Long Follow-Up Gives Novel Evidence

The higher risk for type 2 diabetes associated with reducing coffee intake may represent a true change in risk, say the authors, or may potentially be due to reverse causation, whereby those with medical conditions associated with risk for type 2 diabetes, such as hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, or cancer, may reduce their coffee consumption after diagnosis. But even when cases of cardiovascular disease or cancer were excluded during follow-up, the results were very similar.

"Changes in coffee-consumption habits appear to affect diabetes risk in a relatively short amount of time…in these 3 large prospective cohorts with more than 1.6 million person-years of follow-up," the researchers conclude.

"Our findings confirm those of prospective studies that higher coffee consumption is associated with a lower type 2 diabetes risk and provide novel evidence that changes in coffee-consumption habits are related to diabetes risk."

Dr. Bhupathiraju reports no relevant financial relationships. Disclosures for the authors are listed in the article.

Diabetologia. Published online April 24, 2014.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with creamer, have sodas (having a Pepsi with a Chorizo burrito for breakfast), and I lose weight. It is about exercising and intake moderation. Be at a caloric deficit more often than not and you lose weight.

Coffee ain't gonna change that.
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My coffee-and-cookie time every morning is my special time for myself. If I didn't have it, people would die. And I handle firearms every day, so....
    To answer the question: creamer, sugar, cookie, everything carefully measured and logged, lost 28 pounds in 3 months, most of it in the healthy weight range. Have a nice day!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. Or the answer is YES!

:smokin: