Question for the single ladies of MFP

Options

Replies

• jedwards7425
    jedwards7425 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not single nor a "lady", but I don't like that this is only for single ladies because rules are stooopid.

I don't think I would ever ask these questions. It seems offensive to ask something that everyone should already have. I think they would reveal themselves quickly if they didn't have any of these things, but I could be wrong.

Whew, I'm glad I'm married and don't have to deal with this crap. Oh, and he has a car, job and a place to live. He just doesn't know how to use our washing machine yet. I should have asked that question.

In his defence it is women's work. Do you expect him to learn to cook too?
    Yes, he at least needs to know how to make me a sammich. I mean 19 years with no sammich. How long do I allow this nonsense to continue? I'm gonna starve in my dirty clothes and no sammich in my tummy.

LMAO!!!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Just curious, when dating, how many of you need to ask your potential suitor if they have a job/car/place to live?

Are any of those a deal breaker?

I'm mostly single (not a lady though) and I did online dating for a while, so I could see in the profiles if they had any/all of those things so I didn't have to ask typically.

The job would be a deal-breaker for me, because I've had situations in the past where I ended up supporting both myself and my ex, and it wasn't a situation I'd like to repeat any time soon. I don't particularly care what job they have, as long as I don't have to support them. Everything else I would work with for the right person :)
  • LunaZuriel
    LunaZuriel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would rather be dating a man that has his own transportation and job, if not then I have to drag him everywhere and waste my money on him. So both partners need a job, it would make life a lot simpler also. I've been in that boat before, my ex had no job, no car, no license, still living with mama. He asked me for everything, and I was always broke because of him. Of course that relationship ended within a few months.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    When I was single, I was a single mother...So If and when I dated I did have high standards and expectations for they would have potentially been in my daughters life. I already had my daughter to be a mother to so I didn't want a man who wasn't already established or someone I would have had to taxied around. I know that sounds mean, but I had previously been through so much from my ex husband that I wouldn't allow anything less then what she and I deserved.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I am not single yet but will be as soon as my divorce is final.....the first thing I would ask is "WHAT IS YOUR CREDIT SCORE" I really just need a manfax (ya know instead of a carfax)

Why would their credit score matter?

Because it shows that they know how to handle their finances. Hey... This is on MY list too!!! Don't want any deadbeats!!!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am not single yet but will be as soon as my divorce is final.....the first thing I would ask is "WHAT IS YOUR CREDIT SCORE" I really just need a manfax (ya know instead of a carfax)

Because she likes a man with money, one she doesn't have to take care of financially. Amiright?

Why would their credit score determine if they have money and have financial independence?
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    This might not be popular.

When i was dating, if the man wasn't at the level I was or above... Friendzone.:laugh: I'm not taking away from my child in any way. Also, I assumed he had transportation (living in Florida it's a necessity, not a luxury). If he didn't... friendzone. :laugh:

I'm wasn't going to settle. :flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    Options

Because it shows that they know how to handle their finances. Hey... This is on MY list too!!! Don't want any deadbeats!!!

No, it doesn't, lol. It only shows how they manage debt.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    To be honest, in these days in order to date you need a :

Psychological test
    Credit Check
    Back Ground Check
    STD Check
  • wheird
    Options

When i was dating, if the man wasn't at the level I was or above... Friendzone.:laugh: I'm not taking away from my child in any way. Also, I assumed he had transportation (living in Florida it's a necessity, not a luxury). If he didn't... friendzone. :laugh:

So you would prefer that the man have to settle for YOU instead?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

I don't think you understand how credit works...

You should be asking about investments/401k/mutual funds instead
  • sweetcurlz67
    Options

AMEN to this sister!!!
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As a single lady, those are important points to come up in early conversation, to me. I know I take great care of me. I need him to be able to take care of him. I'm too old to be sneaking into someone's parents house and always having to pick a dude up is no bueno :ohwell:
  • sweetcurlz67
    Options

I don't think you understand how credit works...

You should be asking about investments/401k/mutual funds instead

I'll be doing BOTH!! Trust me!
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

OMG there should definitely be a Manfax!

I'm happily single and yes I ask, even if it doesn't matter. Those things just naturally come up in conversation when you're getting to know someone. Now the real question should be if I'm going to JUDGE them based on their response and the answer is YES. Anyone that says they can be with someone that can't hold down a job is a lying liar. Love doesn't pay the bills or put a roof over your head.... but that's thinking long term and not every guy I meet is being evaluated for longevity. If it's just someone to hang out with and it's casual then it really doesn't matter.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If you pick me up in your madre's car and attempt to take me to her house to bang, there's gonna be a problem.
  • miss_shigatsu
    miss_shigatsu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i didn't when i met my husband and am now trying desperately to get a divorce after carrying his worthless *kitten* for 10 years. i was given the impression that he was this famous, cultured, jet-set guy, starting his own company building sports cars. i gave up my life in oregon, gave away nearly everything i owned, quit a really good job, and moved across the country to virginia to live with him. once there, i discovered that he "owned" a car, but it hadn't had an engine in 3 years. he lived with his mom "while he started his business" which it turns out he wasn't ACTUALLY saving up any money to start. he didn't even have a bank account! of course once there, i was broke, with no family nearby, and didn't know anyone so i had no way to get back home. whenever i'd tell him i was leaving him, he'd get violent and i'd stay. it's taken me this long to finally get the hell out.

so yeah. when i finally met a cute guy and we hit it off, and i found out his car was on the verge of busted (it broke down on him a week after we met), and he was living with his parents because his ex-gf got him fired? "sorry, dude. no." i'm dealing with enough crap in my life. no way i'm falling for THAT routine again. i've got my own life together, and i expect any guy i'm with to do the same.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options

So you would prefer that the man have to settle for YOU instead?

Lol! No sir. Hopefully, he has standards too and wouldn't settle. Not everyone you meet is a match.. Just keep looking and give what you want in return.... don't settle and you will be okay. :flowerforyou:
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    If they don't have a job and don't have real goals then THAT is DEFINITELY a deal breaker. If they are going nowhere in their life then that is not someone I want in my life at my age :) You don't need a car and you do need to have some sort of living arrangements IMO :D
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Is he funny? Smart? Does he respect me and value my opinion? Do we share interests? Is he nice? If all those things are present, I could not care less about his financial situation, so long as he doesn't expect me to support him.