Replies

• JLeeAlton
    Options
    I am into my 6th week and I

still modify somethings
    don't do pullups I just use resistance bands
    I use dumbbells for everything else
    I do as many pushups as I can on my toes then I go back to knees
    Don't do any of the P90X cardio workouts.. they bore me. I do Insanity for my cardio mostly but I do mix it up with other cardio routines and my elliptical.

All in all P90X works for me as far as strength training... I do what I can and modify the rest. Anyone can do P90X... don't think you have to do it exactly like they do.. as fast as they do and as hard as they do. Do what works for you... but just do i!!!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I haven't started P90X yet, but for Power 90 I have been using resistance bands and weights. I don't have the brand of the resistance bands I have been using, as my wife got them from a local fitness store. They came with handles and three bands (black - heaviest, blue - medium, green - easy). I use the bands only when I cannot do certain moves; Back Scratchers...my arm just can't manuever a weight back there, and Forearm curls. Between the three bands (I leave them all on, and only step on the one I need to use), I get a mix of six different weights by stepping on one, two, or all three of them. I'll try and get the brand name of them tonight and post it.

Edit: Also, I got the bands for when I travel as well. They pack up easily in my saddlebags or checked luggage (can't do carry-on, because they can be used as a weapon), so whenever I am away from home I can still do my workouts.

As for weights...when I began doing Power 90 I had the Bowflex SelectTech's. My wife and I sold them and got the Powerblocks, which we have been much, much MUCH happier with. They are more compact, and a heck of a lot more sturdy. I can actually use the Powerblocks when doing pushups as well, since normal pushups put too much pressure on my wrist in the regular position.
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I started it and stop half way though, but Im start it up again. I do like it and as someone said, you do what you can do and forget the rest. I love the boxing dvd, it was so much fun. Do not get me wrong it a tough workout and it will whip you in shape which why i'm going back to it. Plus for me, I I take what I have learn to the gym.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great ideas... Im really started to get excited about this!!
  • manda1023
    Options
    I wanted to try P90X but was too scared. I got Power 90 instead. Its an easier version of P90X. I thought it would be easier but it was still challenging, so I cant imagine P90X. I'm not super active, and it was hard. I wasn't a member here when I started it last time, and I quit. Now I hope I can keep motivated with help from people on here! Good luck.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I wanted to try P90X but was too scared. I got Power 90 instead. Its an easier version of P90X. I thought it would be easier but it was still challenging, so I cant imagine P90X. I'm not super active, and it was hard. I wasn't a member here when I started it last time, and I quit. Now I hope I can keep motivated with help from people on here! Good luck.

I havent heard of Power 90 ... but you can do it! You could always get P90X and join me! Im planning a start date of February 14th!
    (I have to wait until after my half marathon for fear of injury -- then I will be in Disney... and then when I come back I have another race the next weekend, then after that I can start!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion?
    Resistance bands vs Weights?

I started off with resistance bands, but some of the moves are very awkward when you use them. Also, it is hard to duplicate what you did on the last workout when you loop the bands for more resistance. How do you make sure the loop is exactly the same size as last week? Even a small difference in loop size can make a huge difference in resistance. I like to be in more control of what exactly is happening.

With weights, none of that is an issue.
  • colestephens
    colestephens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For those that are wondering, nervous even, of starting something like P90X, there's always the original P90. It's not "extreme" and also can produce some fantastic results.

Really concentrate on what you eat. Exercise is important...but so is what you do the other 23 hours of your day.
  • colestephens
    colestephens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used resistance bands my first time through P90X. I bought bands from Bodylastics...they're adjustable and provided great resistance. I still prefer dumbbells...but on days where I can't make it to the gym a $70 set of bands works just as well as a $3000 set of dumbbells.

I also travel quite a bit...very nice to be able to throw the bands in the bag and keep up the routine in my hotel.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

I also travel quite a bit...very nice to be able to throw the bands in the bag and keep up the routine in my hotel.

Very good point that I didnt think of. The resistance bands would travel well and make it easy to continue with some routines while away from home!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options

That's what I did also! It was still pretty tough when I start P90X after, but P90 is a great prep!