I hate eating healthy with a passion

Options
I really hate healthy eating. Most people tell me just to substitute the junk with a healthier version. Believe me I have tried. I just am too addicted to burger king, fast food, chips, candy etc. As a kid my mother never told me no to food. Never said "1 slice of cake is enough" I could be eating 5 bags of chips in front of her and she would not say a thing. I think I have fallen in too deep to get back out. Food is literally a drug for me. What should I do? Its a sickness

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    As long as you fit your macros, it doesn't matter what you eat.

I tried quitting coffee recently.. NOPE! My body won't have anything to do without it!
    It's the same with food. I still have my junk, I just make sure it fits my macros.

Make it fit your macros, you'll be set.

Pre-log your food if you have to. No need to torture yourself.
    Try to put in healthy meals here and there, but if you can't, you simply can't. As long as you maintain a healthy deficit, the pounds will come off.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I really hate healthy eating. Most people tell me just to substitute the junk with a healthier version. Believe me I have tried. I just am too addicted to burger king, fast food, chips, candy etc. As a kid my mother never told me no to food. Never said "1 slice of cake is enough" I could be eating 5 bags of chips in front of her and she would not say a thing. I think I have fallen in too deep to get back out. Food is literally a drug for me. What should I do? Its a sickness
    Honestly, the first thing you need to do is change your attitude towards the healthy lifestyle. Otherwise you'll never succeed. Maybe a lil about yourself would be helpful. Age, how much weight you want to lose.
  • jrmcnair1
    jrmcnair1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Small changes over time make a big difference! For instance, if you go to Burger King get a medium or small fries instead of a large. Once you get used to that, go small or cut them out every other visit, etc.

You can do it, but you have to want to and you have to believe you can!
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I tried quitting coffee recently.. NOPE! My body won't have anything to do without it!
    It's the same with food. I still have my junk, I just make sure it fits my macros.

Try to put in healthy meals here and there, but if you can't, you simply can't. As long as you maintain a healthy deficit, the pounds will come off.

Uhm, no. Make sure it fits in your CALORIES. Sure, you want to be as close to your macros as possible but you won't be "fine" if thats all you worry about
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you truly feel that you can't control yourself, then it might be a good idea to seek some professional help to work through what is causing you to overeat and lack control around food.

Please don't take that comment to be condescending, as it was not intended to be. I know from personal experience that emotional eating isn't the easiest thing to deal with especially when you're trying to lose weight.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Start small. Can you have an apple each day as a snack? Can you put spinach leaves on your burger? What we eat tends to be a matter of habit. Make it a goal to eat one new veggies or fruit per week and at the end of a year, you'll find a half dozen or a dozen you enjoy.
  • Sinisterly
    Options

Uhm, no. Make sure it fits in your CALORIES. Sure, you want to be as close to your macros as possible but you won't be "fine" if thats all you worry about

RE-READ, calories = deficit.
    You should know this by now, or at least I hope you do.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't care for healthy eating either. And that's considering my mom made homemade meals most days. I will choose junk over "healthy" food any day.

When I was in HS, I used to come home for lunch and eat a big bag of salt n vinegar and a large Arizona Iced Tea. After dinner, I'd usually have 2-3 bowls of cereal, some other junk---WHATEVER was around. The thing is no one cared/said anything because I was never overweight and I was actually considered thin. Both of my parents are overweight. My dad cooks an entire package of bacon to eat in one sitting. And yet, I don't blame them.

The nice thing about being a grown up is I can make my own decisions. I still don't eat what others would call "healthy" but I can still watch what I eat. So, yeah, I'm eating 2K calories in maintenance today but half of them are about to go to McDonald's. Gotta run!
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    weight-loss is all about numbers. Make sure that you eat less than you did when you gained the weight. Everything is fine so long as they'r in moderation. You just gotta remember to track how much your eating.
    Eating healthy is good if you simply want to improve your overall health, or if you have health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure… ect. If you don't, just worry about the numbers.
    To be honest, I don't care for eating healthy either. I love my junk food.
  • tanyaelise
    Options
    You know what... I hate it too. I really do and same here, no one ever told me "no"... "or you're getting too fat." Or even showed me how to eat.

But I hate being fat worse. So I sacrifice (like the small changes someone else stated). You don't have to change your attitude, just decide what you want most... And don't change too drastically or you will find yourself neck deep in a bag of cool ranch.

You can still hate to eat healthy. I do. :smile:
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would try seeing a nutritionist or dietician. You also need to change your relationship with food. Being an adult, you should know what is right and wrong. I think seeking help will give you a more healthy approach to food.
  • Chinamarie20
    Chinamarie20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just try to stick with a healthy diet for 1 to 2 weeks and I guarantee that you will feel 100x better, and your palette will change and you will actually enjoy healthier foods!

But be realistic about this. If you ate 3000 calories a day before you started myfitnesspal, it might not be feasible to go cold turkey with 1200 calories. Especially with cravings for the salty/greasy/sweet junk you're used to. Please keep at it! I know you can do it!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    bump
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Weakness.
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    Weakness.

...srs?

Surprisingly, putting some people down doesn't make them stronger. Go figure.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Baby steps at first. Also, you just have to want to change badly enough and be a soldier about it. It isn't easy, but you get used to it.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Healthy is different for everybody. for example, cabbage is something i hate but its healthy. kfc chicken fried chicken thigh i consider healthy as its mostly protein and i would choose that over a kfc milkshake which i consider unhealthy.
    General Electric (GE) conducted a survey in many countries and also found that there is no universal agreement on whats considered healthy (being food or lifestyle) in 2008.

eat what you think is healthy. if you eat chips because that you think is healthy do that. nothing wrong with it. i like walkers chips but i love the chips that my grandma makes much more because its homemade and its the real thing. fried potato ring thin sliced, when its done you put the sour cream and chive = homemade walkers in sour cream and chive flavor. priceless.

You might have problem with your tastes buds. often healthier version tastes **** and the fact that supermarkets sell hormone-stuffed healthy food doesn't help. eg. i go to tesco i buy some tomato. its tasteless, watery **** and even if i eat a tonne I'm still starving because it lacks nutrients. then i go to my grandmas garden and i pick up the tomato that never saw hormones. that tomato is very tasty and its flesh is much more dense and you don't eat much because its nutrient dense. than i go to a shop and i buy organic tomato. its about 80% of the real thing. close but still not the same.
    i would suggest you trying real things which is hard if you don't know what to look for. kfc, burger king etc these foods are tasty for the tongue. so just replace them with tasty non processed food. go for organic. it will take time for you to be friends with fruit and veggies but don't give up. slowly but surely. next time you eat a burger open it and eat every ingredient separately. find out what you like and what you don't and improve on it.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Uhm, yes. The person you are falsely correcting made it very clear a healthy deficit was needed. Maybe before you condescendingly correct someone you might want to make sure they were actually wrong first. Just a thought :flowerforyou:

P.S. Nobody messes with my sister! :happy:

@OP: When I was at my highest weight I felt exactly the way you do now. I lost over 100 lbs, without counting calories, without any real exercise, and without completely and instantly giving up any "junk" food at all. I just made a series of small incremental changes over time... only eating half of an appetizer, eventually skipping the appetizer, then only eating half of the dessert, eventually skipping the dessert. Over time all those little changes add up to big results. If i had to do it all over again I would count calories and I would exercise everyday but the point is you can definitely do this. Just start by doing what you can do and pushing more and more over time. Before you know it you'll be losing weight and getting healthier... and finding it easier and easier to make health choices.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

you are on a roll with your advice
  • titanium17
    Options
    Honestly, the first thing you need to do is change your attitude towards the healthy lifestyle. Otherwise you'll never succeed. Maybe a lil about yourself would be helpful. Age, how much weight you want to lose.

alright, im 20 years old (just turned 20 a month ago) I am 154 pounds and im 5"4. I wanna be around 115 pounds. I can exercise without a problem, I love making workout plans for myself, its what goes on in the kitchen thats the problem.