I hate eating healthy with a passion

Options

Replies

• tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As a kid my mother never told me no to food. Never said "1 slice of cake is enough" I could be eating 5 bags of chips in front of her and she would not say a thing.
    And this has made you incapable of making your own decisions as an adult?

+1

If you love yourself and want to live a longer healthier life, you're going to have to suck it up and learn to eat it in moderation. I've never been able to understand how some people prefer candy over fruit? So good. I personally can't get past the side effects from all the gmo's, unpronounceable chemicals, msg, high fructose corn syrup and heaps of additives in processed, packaged/fast foods. Humans beings aren't meant to consume that stuff. Not to mention.. fast food = violent poops. That on a daily basis would be a terrible existence.

Thanks for the mental image of you having a gigantic dump

hahahaha i don't.. because i eat healthy. and you're welcome :happy: i hope you think of it every time you go for some fast food.

That's kind of messed up that you want someone to think of you taking a dump when they eat. Each their own but realize pushing off a scat fetish on someone is uncool. Just EW.

As for your unpronounceable "chemicals" deal...I can't pronounce most of what makes up food in general, so I guess I'll just starve?

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg

Seriously, it was a light hearted joke to avoid anyone from eating that junk. I don't know why you're taking everything so literally? You know exactly which kind of chemicals i was referring to... the ones made in a lab by man (not fit for consumption imo), not the ones made by nature. Scat? I could've passed on learning that was a thing, but thanks for teaching me so i can prevent my sheltered self from saying anymore innocent, immature jokes. I'm sorry if i offended you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    At 20 it is still hard to see the big picture, we all were immortal back then from what I recall :) The problem is you seem to be focusing on the wrong thing: weight. You can eat at a deficit and lose and have your ideally body, even with a 100% junk food diet. The question is what happens to your health? There is more to life than 10 or 30 vanity pounds. And there are no magic tricks. If you want to eat healthier, you will eat healthier. If you literally have an aversion to certain textures, then this is an issue where a therapist could help.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I really hate healthy eating. Most people tell me just to substitute the junk with a healthier version. Believe me I have tried. I just am too addicted to burger king, fast food, chips, candy etc. As a kid my mother never told me no to food. Never said "1 slice of cake is enough" I could be eating 5 bags of chips in front of her and she would not say a thing. I think I have fallen in too deep to get back out. Food is literally a drug for me. What should I do? Its a sickness

Don't blame your mom. Mine severely limited our intake of junk and would literally count out serving sizes. None of us were fat. Guess that's why.

But I still hate healthy eating, too. If I had it my way, I'd be like the proverbial kid in the candy store. All my calories would come from candy, cookies, ice cream, chips, burgers, fries, and pizza. The problem is, I never stop at my allotted calories with these foods, I can eat enough to feed a large family. And I feel horrible.

You haven't fallen too deep. You just need to decide if it's worth it to you. Which do you want more, the junk food, or to reach whatever your goals are?

It's not an easy question to answer. Sometimes I even wonder if I answered wrong when I gave up eating whatever I want. But it's your choice to make. One thing you could do is start small. If you drink soda perhaps give that up first and drink water. Then give up something else. Then something else. If you can eat a specific treat in moderation but go overboard with other things, buy only the one you can eat in moderation.

Low carb was my cold turkey way for awhile, too. For nearly a year (except at Halloween, when I cracked) I just got rid of all my trigger foods completely. But even before that I managed to lose quite a bit of weight by forcing myself not to put them in my grocery cart or to buy less.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    As long as you fit your macros, it doesn't matter what you eat.

I tried quitting coffee recently.. NOPE! My body won't have anything to do without it!
    It's the same with food. I still have my junk, I just make sure it fits my macros.

Make it fit your macros, you'll be set.

Pre-log your food if you have to. No need to torture yourself.
    Try to put in healthy meals here and there, but if you can't, you simply can't. As long as you maintain a healthy deficit, the pounds will come off.

Uhm, no. Make sure it fits in your CALORIES. Sure, you want to be as close to your macros as possible but you won't be "fine" if thats all you worry about

RE-READ, calories = deficit.
    You should know this by now, or at least I hope you do.

You said as long as you hit your macros, it doesn't matter what you eat.

That is false.
    Scroll down. Read the entire thing. Guess you missed the healthy deficit part YET AGAIN. Good job.

Have a great day, dude.

Nope I saw it. Doesn't change that the majority of your post is wrong information which is what I was correcting.
    You've corrected nothing as there was nothing "wrong" with my post.
    Quit trying to pick a fight behind the safety of your computer screen. It's lame, k? K.
    Goodbye! :flowerforyou:

What on earth is wrong with you? You said two false statements, which I corrected, and now I'm the one picking a fight? Behind the safety of my computer screen? Are you really trying to be a tough guy on MFP? That's pathetic. You made false statements. Deal with it.

I'm confused-- which statements were the false ones?

For the macros thing-- since each gram of protein, fat, or carbs has an associated number of calories, hitting one's macros does mean hitting one's calorie goal.

eta: assuming one sets macros by grams instead of by percentages. That would be a different matter.

Have you ever hit all 3 macros perfectly down to the gram? Highly doubtful.

And for about the 4th time. You can't eat whatever you want as long as you "fit" it in your macros and be set. Had you said, if you hit all your macros perfectly to the gram, you can eat whatever, then sure you'd be right. But you didn't.

And it's completely unrealistic to think that most people can hit their macros exactly everyday.

You don't hit them every day, you do your best to hit them every day, or come very close.

The statement was accurate and factual....and yes, if it fits your macros, then it doesn't matter regarding WEIGHT LOSS.

Weight Loss and healthy lifestyle are two COMPLETELY different things that are usually connected, but don't have to be.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Didnt read some of this but this is what i have to say

I've lost a lot of weight, and I eat basically whatever I want. I make sure I try to hit most of my macros, but if I'm over some of them I dont freak out. When I'm working .. which I am a TON right now, I dont have a chance to make my own food so I am destined to eat out on the road a lot.

Still, even with that happening, I just use the mobile app and log what I eat and stay within my deficit. When you have the mindset of losing weight, and are aware of what you are taking into your body it helps a ton on making better choices of what you eat.

Example ... I was at a hotel this day/night and there was a sheetz next door

7f3662146d36c4e0eba9f64410f9344d.png

Last night
    6ea986990bc58d244036d216cde71716.png
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When it comes to junk food I just look an overweight person binge eat and it upsets me and motivates me to eat healthy. Sure when I was a kid I was fat and junk food was what I got given mostly, however as I got older I took charge and started eating to fuel my body rather than just for taste. I eat junk food but only in reasonable amounts.

Your problem is you don't have the mentality to change hence why you never will. Change your way of thinking then your diet will change!
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When it comes to junk food I just look an overweight person binge eat and it upsets me and motivates me to eat healthy. Sure when I was a kid I was fat and junk food was what I got given mostly, however as I got older I took charge and started eating to fuel my body rather than just for taste. I eat junk food but only in reasonable amounts.

Your problem is you don't have the mentality to change hence why you never will. Change your way of thinking then your diet will change!

^^^ This. I was on a 18 mile hike last week and I started off in my city i live in.. I walked past a 300LB+ man walking to his car from the store eating two of those pink Cupcake snack things, and had 4-5 more stuffed into his arms. he waddled into his car and left. This is motivating to me as well, although I felt bad for the guy (who was probably in his 20s).

It's totally possible to lose weight, eating junk food in moderation is part of it.

YOU have to want it.. You can do this
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As long as you fit your macros, it doesn't matter what you eat.

I tried quitting coffee recently.. NOPE! My body won't have anything to do without it!
    It's the same with food. I still have my junk, I just make sure it fits my macros.

Make it fit your macros, you'll be set.

Pre-log your food if you have to. No need to torture yourself.
    Try to put in healthy meals here and there, but if you can't, you simply can't. As long as you maintain a healthy deficit, the pounds will come off.

Uhm, no. Make sure it fits in your CALORIES. Sure, you want to be as close to your macros as possible but you won't be "fine" if thats all you worry about

RE-READ, calories = deficit.
    You should know this by now, or at least I hope you do.

You said as long as you hit your macros, it doesn't matter what you eat.

That is false.
    Scroll down. Read the entire thing. Guess you missed the healthy deficit part YET AGAIN. Good job.

Have a great day, dude.

Nope I saw it. Doesn't change that the majority of your post is wrong information which is what I was correcting.

There was nothing wrong in that post. I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I really hate healthy eating. Most people tell me just to substitute the junk with a healthier version. Believe me I have tried. I just am too addicted to burger king, fast food, chips, candy etc. As a kid my mother never told me no to food. Never said "1 slice of cake is enough" I could be eating 5 bags of chips in front of her and she would not say a thing. I think I have fallen in too deep to get back out. Food is literally a drug for me. What should I do? Its a sickness

Habits are very hard to break, and especially eating habits. I've made several small changes. I hate drinking water with a passion, but giving up soda means I can use the calories somewhere else. I drink water now or unsweetenened green tea. It's taking me a while to make this conversion.

Maybe just start there, or choose another item that you abuse on the daily. For me I drank soda every day so that's why I chose it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Start small. Instead of feeling like you have to change everything all at once, make 1 or 2 small changes...like...4 bags of chips instead of 5...or...17 tbls of heavy cream in your coffee instead of 23. Get what I'm saying? Then, once you adjust to those changes, try a vegetable. Deep fry it if you have to...then the next time, sautee it. See if you like it. If not, try a different vegetable. Try an apple. You may like it.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It might help to make a game of healthy eating. A game called 'get all your daily recommended vitamins and minerals'. Do you realize how ridiculously difficult it is just to get enough potassium? I had to buy a dehydrator to make sun-dried tomatoes in. Nothing else was going to work within my calorie budget. And most supplements only have a tiny fraction of the potassium we need: %3.

I don't even want to think about the damage I've been doing to my body all these years, whether fat, thin, dieting or gaining, by having constant deficiencies in who knows how many vitamins and minerals. Now that I'm getting older, I'm starting to think about living for a very long, healthy span, and so I've got to clean up my diet, like it or not, and believe me, I don't like it.

If the tastes and textures of healthy foods don't motivate you, perhaps being healthy and living longer will.

Edit: Another thing that helps me is to think about all the gross things that turn up in highly processed foods. I'm really developing an aversion to eating anything not cooked myself, from scratch. Some of our foods are just filthy. After reading about how nasty dried spices are, I'll even be making those myself.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    As others have said, start small, introduce a few leaner items into your meal. If you are still getting take outs etc., switch one of the items to one their leaner option (some carrots instead of fries etc.)

Also, how good are you at cooking? I love how creative all the 'lean junkfood' recipies are, but since I never really 'crave' that sort of thing, I haven't gotten around to them.. Man, I wish I could come and cook for you, it would be so fun if it was a succes!

Here's a recipe for some nuggets http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/healthy-baked-chicken-nuggets.html
    and cheese fries http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/skinny-texas-cheese-fries.html
    and chipotle fries http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/baked-chipotle-sweet-potato-fries.html
    Loaded nachos http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/skinny-nachos-with-turkey-beans-and.html
    Lots of burgers: http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/best-of-burger-recipes
    Onion rings: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lord-of-the-onion-rings-recipe.html

Also, if you'd still like to order fast food, it's totally do-able, check this guide to some low cal choices (and they aren't all 'sald, no dressing'!)
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2806-diet-friendly-fast-food-finds and http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/1899-the-big-fast-food-survival-guide
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just because it's called 'healthy' doesn't mean it can't be delicious.
    Fastfood is not as tasty as a homecooked meal. All you need is willpower to stop eating fast food. When you stop you will gradually notice that you don't crave them as much.

The problem is you need to find what you like. You don't have to go on a cabbage, carrots and celery diet. Try new things, look up recipes (pinterest usually makes my mouth water). Cooking does not have to take up a lot of time, unless you serve 20 people.

You can still eat pasta, eat potatoes, eat creamy sauces. Just be honest and log them accurately, pick the healthier versions and add vegetables you like. Don't have to quit fast food either, just enjoy all foods in moderation.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I really hate healthy eating

Then don't no one is forcing you.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I really hate healthy eating

Then don't no one is forcing you.
    :huh:
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well then OP, keep eating Burger King, cake, chips etc, just eat a sh*tload less of it. Eat 1400 calories a day or that garbage and you'll still lose weight. Just don't expect to be consuming a satisfying volume of food on a daily basis.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

I really don't get these posts, you eat too much rubbish, you know you eat too much rubbish, you claim you are addicted to this junk food and cannot stop, what do you expect from a poster? a magical potion? i would love to eat pizza everyday but i don't, it's your choice, breaking habits is hard but no one on here can make it any easier, take responsibilty for your own life it ain't our job, that or pay a guy a fortune and you can blame your parents or society while munching on a muffin

if your going to put me down, please do not reply. I get maybe you feel like im being whiny but I was asking for support not something that makes me feel bad.

Getting confronted with truths does feel bad sometimes. You can do better but only if you change your mindset.

I am not one of these people who believes you should eat whatever you want all the time. I believe you should fuel your body at least 80% of the time and eat for pleasure 20%. You will feel better. You will be more nourished. You will be healthier.

I have eaten crap and lots of it.

I don't anymore. I probably go to a fast food place once every 4-6 weeks. Guess how I stopped. I stopped pulling into the drive thru.

You can do this but your body won't go where your mind won't push it.

Either you are weak or you're not. It's your choice. I can't be supportive because I don't know you well enough to know what you can or can't make yourself do. All I do know is that our words become self-fulfilling prophecies. Whatever you think or say you can't do, you can't do.

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."--Henry Ford

Sending positive energy your way.:flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    As a kid my mother never told me no to food. Never said "1 slice of cake is enough"

This means that you have to teach yourself the skills that you didn't learn before. Tell yourself "One slice of cake is enough." You won't be perfect every time. You might not think about one piece being enough until the third or fourth. That's ok, just keep reminding yourself when you do remember.

If you do feel you have a sickness, talking to someone would probably be a good idea.

Go ahead and get rid of the idea that you can't have the foods you love. You can. You also have to get rid of the idea that you can eat as much of the foods you love whenever you want. You can't. That's unrealistic. You can be ok with knowing that you can't eat as much as you want if you know you can still eat what you like.

I like the person's idea to try adding in small amounts of foods you aren't used to. Don't not have the serving of chips, just portion out one serving and have an apple too. Have a cup of soup with your sandwich and cake.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    As a kid my mother never told me no to food. Never said "1 slice of cake is enough"

This means that you have to teach yourself the skills that you didn't learn before. Tell yourself "One slice of cake is enough." You won't be perfect every time. You might not think about one piece being enough until the third or fourth. That's ok, just keep reminding yourself when you do remember.

If you do feel you have a sickness, talking to someone would probably be a good idea.

Go ahead and get rid of the idea that you can't have the foods you love. You can. You also have to get rid of the idea that you can eat as much of the foods you love whenever you want. You can't. That's unrealistic. You can be ok with knowing that you can't eat as much as you want if you know you can still eat what you like.

I like the person's idea to try adding in small amounts of foods you aren't used to. Don't not have the serving of chips, just portion out one serving and have an apple too. Have a cup of soup with your sandwich and cake.

I don't have the same kind of food issues, OP, but this seems like really solid advice to me.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For me the only way I could do it was to quit sugar cold turkey. I don't have cake, candy, pastries, donuts, ice cream or cookies. I quit sodas cold turkey also. I'm working on the sodium b/c my foods taste so bland without extra salt. Now fruit tastes like candy to me. So sweet. I eat hamburgers when I want it about 1 time a week, i quit eating french fries. I have a McDonald's hamburger with just ketchup and mustard and it satisfies me now.Portion control is still hard for me but I've realized if I do a lot of self talk and delay getting 2nds the urge goes away in about 15 minutes.Coming from a junk food junkie quitting it was the only way I could manage.I tried a small piece of cake (homemade strawberry lemon made by my mother in law) (just really one bite) at Easter and I really didn't care for it b/c it was too sweet. I think changing your palate and eating healthy comes with doing it day after day and as for me I don't care for the junk as much. Good Luck to you on your journey. I agree with the others if you stay within your calorie budget you'll lose weight,:smile: