What salad dressings do you use?

Options
Trying to get back into the swing of things. And want to start eating salads.

What are some of your favorites and what types of dressings? I was hoping for a salad with chicken(:

Replies

• brenannn
    brenannn Posts: 19
    Options
    I usually just 'undress' my salad.

Somethings I do are just squeeze a bit a lemon over it, or some kind of oil/ vinegar mix, or squish a few berries (I like raspberries) in a bowl with a bit of vinegar to dress it with or instead of a dressing, i just toss a fried egg on top. So when I cut it the delicious egg yolk covers it. Yum.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I like Renee's Sweet Onion dressing the best, followed by Renee's Asian Sesame.
    In general, I find the dressings in the refrigerated section of the supermarket way better than that ones in the salad dressing aisle.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Ken's italian
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I do a sprinkling of crumbled blue or feta cheese and drizzle balsamic vinegar. I like flavored quality vinegars (and olive oils) and purchase from a local oil & vinegar shop. With salads I don't use any olive oil. My favorite vinegars are blueberry, mission fig and a white ginger honey that goes very nicely with chicken.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    a little drizzle of really good quality olive oil, a hefty splash of garlic infused red wine vinegar, and a bit of feta cheese. YUM!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I LOVE a classic Cesar salad, so Cesar is always a fave. A few croutons (warning- do NOT buy the low fat ones- they are completely flavorless!), I do usually add some chicken, and Kraft Classic Cesar dressing- very flavorful, peppery and only 80cals.

I'm also a big fan of honey mustard dressings- usually with chicken breast or tuna, fruit (dried cranberries or fresh strawberries, sometimes canned mandarin oranges) and chopped walnuts or pecans).

My final go to salad is a "taco" salad. Greens, a smattering of black beans, chopped peppers and salsa instead of salad dressing.

The biggest thing is to watch your portion with dressing- when I started measuring, I was shocked at how little 2 Tablespoons really is!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Pomegranate Quince White Balsamic vinegar or Ken's Light Options Sweet Vidalia Onion
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Squueze of lemon and black pepper.
    Balsamic vinegar
    Humous
    Cottage cheese
    Salsa
    Nat yoghurt
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have gotten use to eatting my salads with no dressing... i find the chicken or ham as way to give it taste... I will spinkle different spices on it... pepper, (a little) salt, basle, garlic powder or mixed herbs...

I use to use balsamic vinegar.. which is also good...

However, will have to try the egg... that actually sounds good....

*** remember dressing is not a bad thing.... it's about limiting and recording it.... what ever you eat enjoy it... so you will continue to do it... for the long run... I now know that salads will be a part of my life... just like pudding in a cup....^^
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Newman Own Toasted Sesame Ginger (it's ridiculously low calorie and tastes awesome) or just red wine vinegar and oil. ????
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    My "trick" for fattier dressings (ranch, creamy caesar, etc) is to cut them with some apple cider or wine vinegar. That way I get enough dressing to cover a salad for fewer calories.

My personal favorite is caesar (non-creamy,) either homemade or Newman's Own (because it's cheap and easy-to-find.) I also like Trader Joe's Spicy Asian Peanut dressing (in the fridge case) to make coleslaw or as a dip for vegetables.
  • kwmarissa
    kwmarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes amazing yogurt salad dressings. My favorites are the chunky blue cheese and salsa ranch :flowerforyou:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For the minimal amount of salad dressing I use, it's worth it to just have what I like and not worry about the calorie or fat contents in it. I like to enjoy my foods so trying to cut things that I like to save a few calories just isn't worth it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I typically use some variant of Ranch dressing, and I use the regular one. But I only use one tablespoon and then mix it in cup with a tiny bit of water and mix it together to thin it out a bit. Makes it go further and I don't use as much.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Italian (several brands are really good - surprisingly so)

Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar (tastes like regular vinegar - with a little sweetness) - all by itself or mixed in a little with the Fat Free Italian
    there are several brands of seasoned rice vinger
  • jkbeer7
    jkbeer7 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love Hendrickson's dressings. The Original Sweet Vinegar and Olive Oil is great for marinades as well as a salad dressing. It has 70 cal for 2 Tbsp. Their Classic Italian is great as well. I use this one more because it only has 15 cal for 2 Tbsp. Both are wheat and gluten free with no preservatives.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Vitamins A, D, E, K are fat soluble, so if your salad dressing is fat free (or if you don't eat something with fat on the side) you won't absorb these vitamins. This is why I always have fat in my salad dressing. I'd rather sacrifice a few calories somewhere else to get my nutrients in my salad. Plus fat free dressings don't taste as good.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make a dressing with either fat free natural yogurt or quark and mix in lemon juice, mustard and black pepper. I sometimes add shredded cucumber & garlic to make a tzatziki, or tabaso and worcestershire sauce (dash) to make marie rose for fish.

I also like balsamic or flavoured vinegars, lemon juice and fresh-home made salsa to top salads.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own with EVOO, vinegar, and fresh herbs. I don't use a lot of salad dressing (unless it's my friend's homemade green goddess, which is DEADLY) so the calorie count is still pretty low.

If I'm getting a "light" premade dressing, I recommend Newman's Own. All the flavors I've tried have been good and there's not a lot of added sugar or a weird chemical aftertaste that I've noticed in some "light" brands.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ranch. I only use a smidgen though, can barely taste it.