Do you have a "cheat day"?

Options

Replies

• mccallp319
    mccallp319 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lost weight regularly even with cheating on the weekends until I was about 60 lbs down. After that I hit a plateau that I couldn't get past for about 6 months until I decided to cut out my cheat days.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood the concept of a cheat day. Especially if a person is trying to loose weight. However, I can see having a reward day as a positive experience. For example, If all goes well, I'll hit a personal milestone next Friday. I plan to celebrate by going out for a nice dinner and a bottle of wine (maybe two). However, I'll document it and move on towards my goal. On the other hand if a person incorporates regular "cheat days" into their weight loss program, I believe they could be setting themselves up for disappointment.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    On the other hand if a person incorporates regular "cheat days" into their weight loss program, I believe they could be setting themselves up for disappointment.

I can't hear you over all the cheat days I've had over the past year.
  • sgomez1214
    sgomez1214 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We don't have a cheat day but we don't deprive ourselves of anything we like either. I love love love pizza and instead of having some of the other options, we make pizza at home. And if we are going out to eat and we know that it will require us to use a lot of calories, we make sure to work out either before or after so that we don't have go over our calories too much. We log everything (whether it is a 'cheat' meal or not) and if we make a bad choice somewhere during the day, we know what to do. But definitely having cheat meals is easier to control then having a complete cheat day.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    On the other hand if a person incorporates regular "cheat days" into their weight loss program, I believe they could be setting themselves up for disappointment.

+1

I eat like how I plan on eating for the rest of my life.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options

What exactly do you consider cheating? If a person is achieving their goals where does the "cheat" part come into play? A person can only do one of three things, gain weight, loose weight, or maintain weight.
  • jimwon953
    jimwon953 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No.

Even when I'm eating with my family or friends I take the healthiest option available and if there isn't one, I just take half a portion.

Most of the calorie jumps in my diary are alcohol related or induced - as in, 'I got drunk yesterday and today I am eating like a horse because I'm hanging'. I try to avoid social occasions that involve alcohol because one drink always leads to more, which leads to fried chicken on the way home.

Next blip in my diary will be on the 2nd May when I'm going out for drinks to celebrate my birthday.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just started but i don't think i will have a cheat day, I have a bit of an addicted for fast food and generally if i have it once i will keep eating it :P.. Same goes for chocolate, i just don't know how to say no so i want to cut it out of my diet completely
  • Ezzmie
    Ezzmie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would change the language that you use - don't think of it as a cheat as that implies you falling off the bandwagon, think of it as a treat and rather than a day I would do a meal/snack - for me it would be chocolate or even chips sometimes (count out a portion and put the rest away). Don't deprive yourself - this is a lifestyle change it's about being healthy. Keep tracking and you will get to your goal.
  • as124
    as124 Posts: 27
    Options
    Cheat meal once a week, cheat days where I don't even log on holidays. But I fit any foods I'm craving into my calories for the day, especially chocolate. And if I'm really craving something I just take one bite.
  • rayofsunshine2368
    rayofsunshine2368 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes we are on the same page about the eat up day. It resets your hormones so you can loose more weight
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I have days where I eat above my calorie goal (if I'm going out for dinner or drinks, etc) but I log everything and try to stay under maintenance. I'm afraid that if I gave myself a total cheat day without logging, I would completely fall off the wagon.
  • thriftdiving
    thriftdiving Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten that far along in my progress to have a "cheat" day. Plus, I don't believe in restricting the type of food I eat anyhow. I just eat it when I want, but in much smaller portions (think one slide of pizza versus three).
  • nursecj13
    nursecj13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cheat days I have heard it great for every date. Now for me I try not to cheat because my fear I cheat one day I might cheat again and start eating the bad foods again. I will not let myself get beaten for not eating what I want to eat. I portion the size and make sure it’s in my calories for the day. I also learned how to swipe, for example, if I am craving sugar I will not head to the candy jar I will grab a fruit. In time I have learn to listen to my body and figure it wanting the natural sugar that are in fruits. The craving of sugar seem to vanish.
  • talpilon
    talpilon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I usually have a cheat day every few weeks. It helps to have something to look forward to. And it kind of shocks your system a bit. I find that because of having cheat days every once in a while, it's kept me going on this lifestyle change and not discouraged me.
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    Yes, and according to the 4Hr Body (book I'm following); it is actually good to do cheat day once a week to boost your metabolism so it doesn't go into hybernation mode. You will notice it takes about 2-3 days to drop to the pre-cheat day weight, but then it's downwards significantly again. . .
  • djslickrix
    Options
    I had one today, I'm supposed to have it tomorrow but I had it early.

I usually have a cheat day once a week.
  • brenannn
    brenannn Posts: 19
    Options
    It seems that every day is an unintentional cheat day for me :P
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No
  • MissBellaBaby
    Options
    Tonight Im going on a dinner date and my dinner is going to send me a bit over my cal intake BUT i also already worked out. I wouldnt have a cheat day of grubbing all kinds of food and worrying about my cal intake but for dinner i wont feel bad its just one meal. Ive heard someone say 1 bad meal doesnt do anything just like 1 workout doesnt either. Make sure ur working out how you should be and working out aswell. Make up for it thats what i plan to do. Anyways dont deprive yourself that really sucks!! But be strict with ur self ONE CHEAT MEAL A WEEK. You'll be fine! Promise.