America is doomed

Options
There shouldn't be confusion over why so many Americans are overweight when a popular pizza chain advertises on the radio a new "double pepperoni and bacon" pizza. I'm sure most people who eat something like that don't know or care how much fat and calories they are getting. The restaurant would say they are just giving people what they want.

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be confusion over why so many Americans are overweight when a popular pizza chain advertises on the radio a new "double pepperoni and bacon" pizza. I'm sure most people who eat something like that don't know or care how much fat and calories they are getting. The restaurant would say they are just giving people what they want.

And they are, people can eat what they want as far as i'm concerned, no one else's business
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    people can eat what they want as far as i'm concerned, no one else's business

Even people trying to lose weight can eat that pizza - it's not the pepperoni and bacon which are the problem, it's the portion sizes/moderation. There's no problem with anyone enjoying something delicious, that's their own personal choice which they're not "doomed" for making.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    If I was going to have something with that much fat, it would have to involve chocolate.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pepperoni, Canadian bacon and bacon pizzas. I have celiac so they are gluten free. Which, despite popular myth, makes them LESS healthy as rice flour has less fiber and a whole heck of a lot more simple sugars AND more calories. It's also made with a TON of cheese. The secret to eating this and not being an "overweight American"? DO NOT EAT THE ENTIRE FREAKING PIZZA IN ONE SITTING! Throw in some veggies, fruit, sleep and plenty of water and you're set. Exercise helps too! :flowerforyou: Oh and I do have ice cream, with a touch of chocolate sauce, for dessert. Same thing... don't eat the entire gallon!
  • TNSLB
    TNSLB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would order the hell out of that pizza! I would have my usual on pizza nights - one slice of pizza and a bigazz salad :)
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pepperoni, Canadian bacon and bacon pizzas. I have celiac so they are gluten free. Which, despite popular myth, makes them LESS healthy as rice flour has less fiber and a whole heck of a lot more simple sugars AND more calories. It's also made with a TON of cheese. The secret to eating this and not being an "overweight American"? DO NOT EAT THE ENTIRE FREAKING PIZZA IN ONE SITTING! Throw in some veggies, fruit, sleep and plenty of water and you're set. Exercise helps too! :flowerforyou: Oh and I do have ice cream, with a touch of chocolate sauce, for dessert. Same thing... don't eat the entire gallon!

I find it impossible to not eat a whole pizza, it has to be done
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    people can eat what they want as far as i'm concerned, no one else's business

Even people trying to lose weight can eat that pizza - it's not the pepperoni and bacon which are the problem, it's the portion sizes/moderation. There's no problem with anyone enjoying something delicious, that's their own personal choice which they're not "doomed" for making.

Exactly this ^
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If I want to eat something really indulgent, I can workout a little harder and do it. Health is relative to function. Even if I eat the whole pizza, one pizza isn't going to un-do my function in one day. Also consider:

No one is obligated to be healthy.

No one is obligated to be skinny.

No one cares if you don't approve.

It's not just "America," we're not even the worst per capita, we just have more "obese" people because we're a huge country.

Obesity rates have been pretty leveled out with the American population for a while now, and in the years where the rates seem to have drastically risen were due to changes in how obesity is diagnosed, particularly in children obesity rates.

Being fat isn't the worst thing you can be. There are plenty of hard-working fat people who enjoy life being able to eat whatever they want and who don't enjoy exercising. That's okay.

Correlation is not causation, and not everyone who is fat will experience diseases that show correlation with higher weights. And even if they are diabetic and unhealthy, they are still human beings worthy of treatment for managing illnesses and aren't obligated to ever get healthy or lose weight if they don't want to put in the work to do that.

No one else's habits or diet or anything are really any of your business if they didn't ask you for commentary on their life choices. If you wouldn't approve of people judging you for your sexuality, your race, your nationality, your hair color, or any other trivializing comments to pick apart your identity, then you shouldn't be doing this to other people and their diets/weights.
  • PJPrimrose
    Options
    "I find it impossible to not eat a whole pizza, it has to be done "

Hopefully you're bulking! (Do you even lift, bro?) LOL! I AM funny, damnnit!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I work at a pizza place 2 days a week - and sometimes what people order is disgusting... But to each his/her own. No food is bad, but overloading greasy meats & cheeses onto a pizza is a poor choice.

When I go to a local park though and see lots of people spending the afternoon walking, running, biking, etc. it gives me hope.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Omg pizza, and hamburgers, and donuts! We're all gonna die in a sea of obesity! We can't run to Mexico because they have burritos, and we have to avoid Canada because of that damn poutine! Doomed! Doomed, I say!
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    Being Frank, you sound like a zealot who would want the government to come in and regulate it because you think people are too stupid to make choices for themselves.
  • PJPrimrose
    Options
    What's poutine? I thought Canada had beer, maple syrup, cheese (IDK why), and hockey.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Then we'd have black market pizza. :) But we'd be flagged if one person bought all the ingredients so we'd have to split the shopping list and then meet somewhere underground with an oven.
    Being Frank, you sound like a zealot who would want the government to come in and regulate it because you think people are too stupid to make choices for themselves.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat Pizza atleast once a week and I don't think it has hindered my weight loss.... Oh Wait a minute!! <Checks his ticker> Nope! Hasn't hurt it one bit..... :drinker:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdta03yRDN1qbfggv.gif
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9598h2Rr91rrosg1o4_250.gif
    tumblr_m9598h2Rr91rrosg1o6_250.gif

MMMM what a way to go. Death by pizza, That is how i want to go.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What's poutine? I thought Canada had beer, maple syrup, cheese (IDK why), and hockey.

I was wondering this too. I Googled it - it's what's known here in the UK as "chips, cheese and gravy". (Chips as in fries)

The arguments seem to be mounting in favour of moving to Canada. They even have a sophisticated-sounding name for that mess of grease and gunk (tasty, tasty grease and gunk...)
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You are my hero.
    If I want to eat something really indulgent, I can workout a little harder and do it. Health is relative to function. Even if I eat the whole pizza, one pizza isn't going to un-do my function in one day. Also consider:

No one is obligated to be healthy.

No one is obligated to be skinny.

No one cares if you don't approve.

It's not just "America," we're not even the worst per capita, we just have more "obese" people because we're a huge country.

Obesity rates have been pretty leveled out with the American population for a while now, and in the years where the rates seem to have drastically risen were due to changes in how obesity is diagnosed, particularly in children obesity rates.

Being fat isn't the worst thing you can be. There are plenty of hard-working fat people who enjoy life being able to eat whatever they want and who don't enjoy exercising. That's okay.

Correlation is not causation, and not everyone who is fat will experience diseases that show correlation with higher weights. And even if they are diabetic and unhealthy, they are still human beings worthy of treatment for managing illnesses and aren't obligated to ever get healthy or lose weight if they don't want to put in the work to do that.

No one else's habits or diet or anything are really any of your business if they didn't ask you for commentary on their life choices. If you wouldn't approve of people judging you for your sexuality, your race, your nationality, your hair color, or any other trivializing comments to pick apart your identity, then you shouldn't be doing this to other people and their diets/weights.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    That's settled. I'm ordering pizza tonight.
This discussion has been closed.