Any heavy runners?

Options

Replies

• runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Although I didn't use C25K when I first started, I ended up instinctively doing it, 2.5 years ago.

Like everyone has said:

1. Go slow; be patient;
    2. don't worry about anyone but you and your own goals;
    3. get a well fitting pair of shoes (THIS IS IMPERATIVE!)...try Fleet Feet or some specialty store like that. You're paying for the wisdom in addition to the shoes. The salespeople at the big box places don't know much about shoes, generally speaking.
    4. Buy clothing meant for running--including synthetic, not cotton, socks. It makes a difference relative to chaffing, blisters, and sweat wicking. The more comfortable you are, the more you'll stay on with it.
    5. Go easy with the weight/strength training at first...just like the running
    6. Weight comes off much more slowly than it goes on...trust me, I know! Just remember the end goal.

You got this! I sent you a friend request in case you want some motivation!

:drinker:
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yup. 5'10, currently 229 lbs and I run. Getting the right shoes and just sticking with it were the most important things for me. I am sloooooooow, roughly 15 minutes/mile, but I just keep running and am looking forward to getting faster!
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    couch to 5K is a great way to start. It worked for me
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow any particular program: I merely started strengthening my knee muscles, arms and core, while running., It's more mental than physical (although there is still obviously a physical component), as you need to have the determination to keep at it, in both your frequency and duration.

Make sure that you stretch properly, strengthen your muscles accordingly, and learn your limits so that you can push them. Don't strain yourself the first few times you start up, and remember all the hydration/nutritional aspects of exercising. :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I started running, or should I say shuffling, at 5'4", 225 last year 6 months after neck surgery with a really bad knee and arthritis in my lower back. I used the C25K app also and it is a really great way to get started.

I also did strength training at the same time.

After a winter of not being able to get outside and a sprained ankle I was pleasantly surprised that I can go out and still run for 30 minutes. I'm not fast but that's not my goal.

And I no longer shuffle, my point is that I agree with everyone else that you need to take it slow at first.
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 310lbs!!! I JUST finished week 2, so far I havent had to stop or walk when I was supposed to be jogging. My run/jog is the same speed as my walk, Ill work on speed eventually right now though the goal is to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping, 2nd goal, run a 5k without stopping, after that increase speed! I'm signing up for a zombie 5k in October, so hopefully I dont become zombified ;)

http://thezombiedash.com/
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ...sign up for an area 5K that takes place in the next 8 weeks--then work toward that. Putting some cash on the line and having a concrete GOAL will give your training focus and direction.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    A question for all the heavy runners what do you wear? I am finding Cotton gets wet to fast. I am not going the spandex route anytime soon.

I wear a compression top and shorts to reduce 'jiggle' (for comfort & appearance) then put a pair of looser/ baggy shorts and breathable top over them. I don't wear cotton as it gets sweat and doesn't wick well. If you can't find a breathable top in the running section have a look in the hiking section.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Amazing amazing amazing advice! Thank you all so much for not just your thoughts and advice, but your inspiration! I'm 20 pounds down today!!!! WOOHOOO and I know that is going to help me out a lot compared to having that extra 20 pounds on my frame!

Thanks again you guys. And I may be friending you guys so I can pick your brains when I need too ;)
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Be extra careful with the knee (maybe purchase a brace, depends on your exact ailment

Buy GOOD QUALITY shoes. You need these especially if you are heavier for support.

Start slowly both with your pace and mileage.

I never used C25k but I've heard great things.

Always make sure you take at least one rest day or you'll literally run your body into the ground!

Happy running!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In for information & wisdom on this subject. I am intrigued.....very intrigued.
  • Cherieb42
    Cherieb42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I became a runner when I was 44 after losing 90 pounds. When I started losing weight I found jogging on the treadmill was the best way to burn calories. Then a friend suggested I run outside which I never thought I could do. I did Couch to 5K and went for my first run outside. I was hooked! I was really sore when I started to run and my doctor suggested yoga. I was very reluctant but tried it and my life has never been the same. I never get sore. I was also taken by surprise on the spiritual aspect of it.

Now I run 20-30 miles a week and ran my first half marathon last year. I will warn you, it becomes addictive!

Just watch your knees, stretch and stretch. Take things SLOW! That's why I liked couch to 5K!

Good luck!
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I echo Thanking everyone for the advice and tips. This could almost turn into the Official Heavy Runner Thread. Witrh that in mind I have another question

Everyone talks about taking it slow. What is a reasonable pace? Right now I am walking 4-5k 3 times a week and average around 10.5 min/km. When I start introducing my run, what should I look to for pace during that run portion
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey all. So when I started running I was over 115kg.

Runkeeper is a great app for pacing. It works with android and iphones. It calls your time/distance/pace and other metrics at regular intervals. You can play tunes as you run too without issue. It records your route and distance, and works towards your exercise count on here.

Re clothing? Compression gear all the time. under armour, compress sport, 2XU, orca, zoot doesnt matter the brand, just wear it. It stops unnecessary muscle/tissue tears from all the bouncing as you run. Means you can run more often and in less discomfort.

Whatever you wear over the top of the compression gear doesnt really matter, just make sure its synthetic. Sweat and cotton gets cold, heavy and chafes. Its awful.

Pace. I started out doing dog-legs which is a mixture of run/walk. For example, 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, for 30 minutes. Over time, you may want to do 2 minutes run, 1 walk etc. I would encourage you to stick to the same route in the beginning as you'll be able to compare perceived effort levels, times, sections etc.

Once you're up to running for a while (say 5 minutes non stop), I'd offer two options: go fast as possible, or go slow. No middle ground. Going hard encourages the cardiac ability, lactate threshold and aerobic efficiency to increase rapidly. But theres no denying its tough. The pace for this is as-fast-as-you-can-for-as-long-as-you-can.

Going slow encourages the long, slow twitch muscle fibers and endurance. A good pace is one that you can maintain conversation with someone, and would be slower than the pace you'd be setting when doing the dog-leg.

For example, when I dog-legs, my running was around 6min30s/km or about 11min miles. When doing endurance, I'd be about 7-8min/kim or 14min miles. I'd get to a point where I can do a set distance (say 5k/3m?) without stopping. Then its a case of speeding up. After a year of running, I now do my set 5k route at around 5min30s / km or 9.** minute miles.

I've restricted my diet a little bit in calories (1750 rather than 2200), and am now vegan. My resting heart rate was 80+ to ~45bpm. My blood pressure was elevated, average 135/80, now its about 125/70. Cholesterol over 6.5 to 4.2.

I too recommend getting good shoes and spending the money to get some gait analysis done, and doing it regularly. As you become a better runner, your style will change, and no doubt so will the shoes you need.

Finally, always take it steady, aim to increase distances in single digit percentages and at the first sign of pain (not discomfort) stop, ice and rest.
  • derrickyoung
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advice.
    I am really struggling for shoes right now. 4 "running stores" and yet to get shoes. I at least now know I need a wide Neutral shoe, that seems hard to find as nobody seems to have them in stock.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about taking it slow. What is a reasonable pace?
    Once you're up to running for a while (say 5 minutes non stop), I'd offer two options: go fast as possible, or go slow. No middle ground. Going hard encourages the cardiac ability, lactate threshold and aerobic efficiency to increase rapidly. But theres no denying its tough. The pace for this is as-fast-as-you-can-for-as-long-as-you-can.

Going slow encourages the long, slow twitch muscle fibers and endurance. A good pace is one that you can maintain conversation with someone, and would be slower than the pace you'd be setting when doing the dog-leg.

"A good pace is one that you can maintain conversation with someone."
    This is great advice, but not just for until you can run 5 minutes non-stop. I would stick with this until you've been running 20+ miles per week (non-stop each run) for a while. Then, you will get more benefit from adding in faster workouts.

As far as what pace per kilometer this translates to, that's totally individual. The most efficient pace for developing aerobic capacity is around 70% of max heart rate. You can research ideas of how to determine your max. I wouldn't use a formula (like 220 minus age), but rather a method where you're actually increasing your heart rate near maximum. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, you can just stop and take your pulse periodically and you'll start to get a good idea about where this pace is. It's going to be a "conversational" pace. At first, you may pass this point with only a little running and you will have to stop and walk until your heart rate comes back down. It's counter-intuitive, but going faster will not develop your aerobic capacity faster because a smaller proportion of your energy will be provided aerobically. During this period, your muscles, joints and connective tissue will also be changing in response to the new stress you're providing. While "base-building" (for new runners) there's not really any such thing as too slow. I used to think that I had to go "as-fast-as-you-can-for-as-long-as-you-can" on every run, but I improved more quickly after I slowed down and was able to increase my total running volume because I was recovering faster from the easier efforts.

Most of the health benefits from running will come at this "easy" pace. There's no reason to run faster unless you want to be able to run faster. The faster runs that you may add in later include tempo runs (or threshold runs), interval training, and repititions (or fartleks, hill sprints, etc.). Tempo runs are going to increase your lactate threshold and are probably the first one you're going to want to add in. Personally, I would prefer to never run faster than this (as fast as you could maintain for an hour-long race). Intervals will increase your VO2 Max and could be several 5 minute runs at around your 5K pace with a few minutes of easy running in between for a total (at pace) of 8% of your weekly miles. Repetition training is the fastest (around mile pace) and is aimed at increasing your bio-mechanical efficiency, rather than any aerobic benefit, and should only be 5% of your miles.

These runs will benefit you the most after an aerobic base has been established. In other words, if your 5K is the same pace as your mile or if you can't run a mile without stopping, then these paces become a little meaningless. I would recommend sticking to an "easy" or "conversational" pace until you can run at least a 5K without stopping, but preferably a 10K. Then, you can replace one of your "easy" runs with a "comfortably hard" run of around 20 minutes (plus warm-up and cool-down) and replace another one with a "long" run that you can continue to stretch longer and longer. Don't increase how much you run every week, but more like every third week, and only a mile or few per week at a time. After you've run some races, you can start adding in intervals and reps to increase your speed (if you want to; you don't have to).
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    A question for all the heavy runners what do you wear? I am finding Cotton gets wet to fast. I am not going the spandex route anytime soon.

I am a heavy runner. I wear a loose dri-fit or even a lightweight cotton t-shirt and thick compression shorts because I like how they feel. And nope, I don't wear baggy shorts over them.

The most important parts of my "heavy runner" wardrobe are Bodyglide and an Enell bra.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I should add that I've gotten most of my information from Jack Daniels' Running Formula and that his charts don't start until around a 30-minute 5K, so that's another good indication of when you should start thinking about adding in the faster runs. At that point, your easy pace should be around 8:00 per kilometer.

(edited for clarity)
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K last summer with my husband. That was about 30 lbs ago. We were able to complete it in the 8 weeks without repeating any runs. It is amazing how quickly you can get to 30 minutes. I do strength training and other cardio throughout the week and I am able to run longer and farther than my husband who does not so I would definitely recommend the strength training.

I do not have any knee issues but in the beginning there were some aches that I had to work through. I would be really careful about the knees and maybe ask your doctor before starting the program. I do see people on the trail I run with knee braces so maybe that would work but it is not worth ruining your knees long term.
  • derrickyoung
    Options
    Some advice and another round of questions from me.

For those considering Knee Braces please do it in consultation with a dr. or Athletic Therapist. There are so many type of knee braces out there all designed to provide different things. If you are not aware of what/why you have knee pain you could end up with a brace not designed to solve the problem your having. knees are something I have lived through.

Wife - Torn ACL, Torn MCL Fractured Tibial Plateau.
    Daughter 1 - Complete Rupture of ACL and Torn Meniscus
    Daughter 2 - Torn MCL, Torn ACL and just had tumor removed from Muscle on left knee

I am starting to think I need a frequent flyers card for the Orthopedic Surgeons office

Now my question.

How many pairs of shoes do you run in? A running specialty store tells me I should be resting my shoes for 24 hours to allow the Gel/Foam to come back. Does anyone do this? or was this an attempt to get me to buy 2 pairs of expensive shoes.