Fork over Knives

Options
brizzeem
brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
I watched fork over knives on netflix last night. Anybody else watch it and what are you're thoughts? I'll NEVER be a vegetarian........I would keep meat in my diet but the correct serving size (such as 4, 6, and 8 oz). Now regarding protein, they said 20% of animal based protein which includes dairy based protein in your diet can lead to cancer but not vegetable based protein. This concerns me because the protein sources I'm using is all meat and dairy based (mainly dairy). Also with the addition of eating meat leads to cardiovascular issues since meat has high levels of cholesterol. Again I'll NEVER turn vegan but I hopefully these levels remain low with the serving sizes being correct and not your typical American 1 lb burgers everyday.....

What do you guys think?

Replies

• brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sunday morning BUMP
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If I don't go vegan I'll die, that's the basic premise of the film. Correct?

I'll pass on the propaganda and have a double cheeseburger instead.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If I don't go vegan I'll die, that's the basic premise of the film. Correct?

I'll pass on the propaganda and have a double cheeseburger instead.

Precisely. Propaganda and hysteria. The China Study has long since been shot down.
  • shegrif
    shegrif Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I watched it. I don't think we all have to become vegetarians to avoid death by cancer.
    The human race would have gone extinct years ago if it were that bad.
    Becoming vegetarian is good for those who really want to make that choice.
    As for the rest of us, we just need to be balanced and use moderation.
    We can always strive for healthier diets without going to extremes.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I watched it. I don't think we all have to become vegetarians to avoid death by cancer.
    The human race would have gone extinct years ago if it were that bad.
    Becoming vegetarian is good for those who really want to make that choice.
    As for the rest of us, we just need to be balanced and use moderation.
    We can always strive for healthier diets without going to extremes.

The reason we are seeing more incidence of cancer is not directly due to our diet, but due to our longevity.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I try to minimize my consumption of animal protein. I have been cutting back for years, and now I have it only a few times a week. I honestly don't miss it because I've just added a lot more beans and vegetables to my diet. If you want to cut back, start by having it only for dinner and then adding in more vegetarian dinners too. If you cook meat, add it into a soup, chili, or stir fry, where a little will go a long way. Experiment with other toppings for salads and other things to put in wraps.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I try to minimize my consumption of animal protein. I have been cutting back for years, and now I have it only a few times a week. I honestly don't miss it because I've just added a lot more beans and vegetables to my diet. If you want to cut back, start by having it only for dinner and then adding in more vegetarian dinners too. If you cook meat, add it into a soup, chili, or stir fry, where a little will go a long way. Experiment with other toppings for salads and other things to put in wraps.

Or just eat what you like and don't worry about what's on someone else's plate.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Watched it 18 months or so ago... Hubby immediately went PLANT BASED and is down 30lbs and off ALL meds he was on prior to switching his diet. He was on 5 meds before this.

He went into it thinking he would try it for a month and see what happens. Yea that was 18 months ago.
  • randilyn0923
    randilyn0923 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I definitely think everything in moderation can be okay, including meat and dairy. However, before I even saw this documentary I was on a 30 day plant-based diet (just to try it out) and it's 2 months later and I'm still doing it. All I can say is I've never felt so good. I'm more energetic and feel great. My husband has even noticed that I seem happier and not so tired all the time. That's huge for me! So I wouldn't try something like this because people tell you you're gonna die if you don't, but might as well give 30 days a shot and see for yourself how you feel. : )
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    That's nice. It's still not an appropriate diet for everyone.
  • sebj93
    sebj93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a great film, I watched it after 2 weeks of eating animal products, lazing around and gaining weight. It was the first step to my turning Vegan!

It is by far a non-complete resource, I mean you have to do your own research and decide what you believe is best for you. However it removed the negative connotations I associated with vegetarianism/veganism.

Make your own educated decisions and I'm sure you'll do just fine! :)
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I need my meats, sorry. Nope.
  • acsbeck
    acsbeck Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't believe that eating meat will cause cancer. I find that a lot of the food documentaries on Netflix really push a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, so I take all of it with a grain of salt.

That said, it's pretty easy to cut the amount of protein from animal sources. My husband and I started doing that years ago for financial reasons but have continued for health reasons (he has to watch his cholesterol). I typically halve the amount of meat in a recipe and add a plant-based protein source instead. It's especially easy to do with ground beef, because quinoa and lentils are a great filler. It even works in hamburgers!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You know what else has been proven to cause cancer? Take a look:

Automobiles
    Exhaust
    Home cleaning products including laundry detergent
    Emotional distress / stress
    Nail polish remover
    Hair coloring chemicals
    Colognes and perfumes
    Radiation (the same radiation they TREAT cancer with)
    Certain Plastic food or water containers
    LACK OF EXERCISE / BEING OVERFAT
    And the list goes on, and on, and on...

Sorry, I'm not going to live my life trying to avoid things that "have been proven to cause" cancer... If I get it I get it, I'm gonna live my life healthy and happy and stress-free and frankly, I don't care.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I went Vegetarian after watching this. Tried Vegan for a few months but found it hard. I have gone back to being Veggie. The documentary Earthlings convinced me to go Vegetarian.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    As long as I can eat mainly meat in my diet I'll happily go vegetarian!
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    this much talk about food but almost no one talks about the increase in.convenience and decrease in non exercise activities.

You know what else has been proven to cause cancer? Take a look:

Automobiles
    Exhaust
    Home cleaning products including laundry detergent
    Emotional distress / stress
    Nail polish remover
    Hair coloring chemicals
    Colognes and perfumes
    Radiation (the same radiation they TREAT cancer with)
    Certain Plastic food or water containers
    LACK OF EXERCISE / BEING OVERFAT
    And the list goes on, and on, and on...

Sorry, I'm not going to live my life trying to avoid things that "have been proven to cause" cancer... If I get it I get it, I'm gonna live my life healthy and happy and stress-free and frankly, I don't care.
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that eating meat will cause cancer.
    Well the good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not. High meat consumption DOES increase your risk of cancer, heart-disease, dementia, bowel problems, type II diabetes, obesity and so on. You can keep meat in your diet and still be healthy but you can also be a smoker and be healthy. These are statistically possible but why increase your risk? I am not saying 'don't eat meat at all or you'll die' - but I am saying - don't eat meat daily or you significantly increase your risk of developing some of the top health problems today.