Peanut butter is not a protein source!!!!!

Options

Replies

• RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?
    Still here, just watching the world burn.:devil:

I would say that is a bit pessimistic...if you think the world will burn because some of us eat peanut butter.
    Love my peanut butter. It's just funny how many people think me saying it is a fat source is somehow a bad thing.

#fatssetto50%crew#

With respect, I think it was more the title "peanut butter is not a protein source" rather than the fat source thing.......

Agreed. It's even been stated as such. But..perception, I guess >.>
    The assumption that me watching the world burn had anything to do with people eating peanut butter is what I was responding to. I understand and even showed in the op that there was protein in it. I just think it is funny how people push peanut butter as a protein source when someone is having difficulty hitting protein macro.

It is a great food and one I use daily but it is not one I turn to for its protein content but instead it's fat content, since it is the dominant macro in it.

Do you have links for this? Every time I've seen peanut butter mentioned, it's pushed as a way for people to meet their overall calorie goals.

ETA: And the times that peanut butter is mentioned as a "protein" source is usually for those vegetarians/vegans asking for "sources" and people will throw that out because for some, the "little" in there does add up for them.

Unfortunately I don't at this time, but I was in a thread just before I posted this where it was posted. Have been running around so I'm not even sure what it was under. Later tonight I'll find it if you truly want. I believe you have been around Lon enough to see it though.

Most times it is addressed in he thread but I was hoping more people would see it in its own thread with a sensational title.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ok it's a bit ridiculous. The OP didn't say that PB is horrible, just that it's not a good recommendation for people who are looking for high protein sources. I don't know why nuts are always mentioned, frankly. Heck the bread I buy has 3g of protein for 60 calories per slice, it's a better ratio of protein for calories than peanut butter...

She didn't say that it's not a good recommendation for high protein sources. She said, as per the title, that it "is not a protein source" and nothing in her original post stated anything that you are trying to say the OP "said".

She also said "you are now enlightened". I think the tone is what set more people off.

Are you saying that people choose to take that in a tone they took offense to? Sounds like a personal issue for those people.

Lol.

I don't think people were offended. I think they were more amused since your wording implied it wasn't a source a all, which is incorrect, yet you claimed to be "enlightening".

Again, as I said, I agree with what you stated above - I also consider it a better source of fat. But your phrasing in the OP was lacking.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    would get their main sources from eggs, nuts
    A lot of places I DO see things like Peanut butter proffered giving the suggestion it's a good way to get protein in. Along with eggs and nuts, actually - neither of which are particularly good on the protein/calorie ratio I believe.

But "eat lean meat" doesn't make for selling magazines or getting people to view your web page :).
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?

I would say that is a bit pessimistic...if you think the world will burn because some of us eat peanut butter.
    Love my peanut butter. It's just funny how many people think me saying it is a fat source is somehow a bad thing.

#fatssetto50%crew#

With respect, I think it was more the title "peanut butter is not a protein source" rather than the fat source thing.......

The assumption that me watching the world burn had anything to do with people eating peanut butter is what I was responding to. I understand and even showed in the op that there was protein in it. I just think it is funny how people push peanut butter as a protein source when someone is having difficulty hitting protein macro.

It is a great food and one I use daily but it is not one I turn to for its protein content but instead it's fat content, since it is the dominant macro in it.

You're title contradicted what you stated in the op then ? I don't think many people would use it as a main source of protein, I would have thought they would get their main sources from eggs, nuts, chicken, fish etc. So your not really telling us something we don't already know ?

And as 3dogsrunning has stated your "you are now enlightened" sentence didn't come across very well. I'm not surprised by peoples response, you kind of had it coming....

I have, more than once, seen people point to peanut/nut butters as a protein source for those who are lacking so it stands to reason that at least a few people think it's a good source of protein. I believe someone on this very page called it 'excellent'.

I would therefore contend that for people who hold that belifwe that this post was enlightening. You know, if they aren't too busy being assmad and clutching their jiffy jars.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?

#fatssetto50%crew#

You're title contradicted what you stated in the op then ? I don't think many people would use it as a main source of protein, I would have thought they would get their main sources from eggs, nuts, chicken, fish etc. So your not really telling us something we don't already know ?

And as 3dogsrunning has stated your "you are now enlightened" sentence didn't come across very well. I'm not surprised by peoples response, you kind of had it coming....
    I understand the issue with contradiction but I was looking to trap people into the thread and as you saw had low battery so was trying to post quickly. I have no issue with people pointing out the contradiction because it is there. I do think my point was made.

As far as people knowing yes there are people who do but there are others who genuinely feel it is a predominantly protein source and it is those I hope have been enlightened. <<< not a snarky intent.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP, did you read the INGREDIENTS on the Skippy's label & website ?

SKIPPY "ALL NATURAL" PEANUT BUTTER has
    ADDED SUGAR ie not a healthy choice
    ADDED PALM OIL. ie not a nealthy choice

before the manufacturer can add crappy sugar or oil, they need to REMOVE some healthy peanuts to make room for them.
    there's only so much room in a jar ! lol.
    that's why Skippy's is less expensive than good quality PB. Skyppy's uses cheap fillers !!

would a healthier choice be a brand that is simply peanuts. (and perhaps salt)

http://www.peanutbutter.com/products/skippy_nat_c.html#

oh nooooooooooooo added sugar….oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no ..

Ok, I think I am better now ….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?

#fatssetto50%crew#

I understand the issue with contradiction but I was looking to trap people into the thread and as you saw had low battery so was trying to post quickly. I have no issue with people pointing out the contradiction because it is there. I do think my point was made.

As far as people knowing yes there are people who do but there are others who genuinely feel it is a predominantly protein source and it is those I hope have been enlightened. <<< not a snarky intent.

OP - you have enlightened no one….I do however feel dumber for having read through this….
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?

#fatssetto50%crew#

I'd say you succeeded. :flowerforyou:

I agree. But I also admit, it did make for an entertaining thread.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP, did you read the INGREDIENTS on the Skippy's label & website ?

SKIPPY "ALL NATURAL" PEANUT BUTTER has
    ADDED SUGAR ie not a healthy choice
    ADDED PALM OIL. ie not a nealthy choice

before the manufacturer can add crappy sugar or oil, they need to REMOVE some healthy peanuts to make room for them.
    there's only so much room in a jar ! lol.
    that's why Skippy's is less expensive than good quality PB. Skyppy's uses cheap fillers !!

would a healthier choice be a brand that is simply peanuts. (and perhaps salt)

http://www.peanutbutter.com/products/skippy_nat_c.html#
    Care to explain how the sugar or palm oil destroys health?

Liftallthepizzas, I never said added sugar or palm oil destroys health. (that's a bit dramatic on your part).
    I said the added addional ingredients aren't a healthy addition. glad we got that cleared up.

Liftallthepizzas, Perhaps this info on 2 added ingredients will be helpful to you......

Added sugar
    Empty calories. Linked to obesity. Linked to type2 diabetes. Linked to imflammation. Linked to increased triglycerides. Linked to tooth decay.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/added-sugar/art-20045328
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/kids-and-sugar/bgp-20056149

Added Palm oil
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned recently that "palm oil is not a healthy substitute for trans-fats" because a government study showed that the saturated fatty acids found in palm oil "are associated with elevated heart-disease risk factors." .
    The World Health Organization came to a similar conclusion
    Of the 13.6 grams of fat in a tablespoon of palm oil, 6.7 grams are saturated. The American Heart Association recommends that you limit the amount of saturated fat you eat to less than 7 percent of your total caloric intake. Doing so can help protect the health of your heart and keep your cholesterol levels low. Palm oil is higher in saturated fat than other types of vegetable oil. For comparison, a tablespoon of canola oil only has 1 gram of saturated fat. The same amount of olive oil has 1.9 grams of saturated fat. Palm oil is better than coconut oil, however, which contains 11.8 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon.

LOL but the non added sugar is fine??????
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?

#fatssetto50%crew#

I don't think that people are upset over you saying it is a fat source...that is one reason why I eat it. I struggle to get in all the fat that I need.

I think however...whether you meant to or not...the way your post read was that you were implying that most of us weren't enlightened enough to realize that it is first a fat source and then a protein source.

Many of us have been at this for a while and many of us pay attention to the food that we eat and how it fills our macro/micros....peanut butter and a banana sandwich helps to fill not only my fat, protein, fiber but also my potassium and a few other micros.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Well for those that rely on only peanut butter for their main source of protein...... then I think you've done a great job with your op ! job well done !

yes, congratulations OP …you have enlightened .000000001% of the population ….
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This post has been hilarious! Thank you for the free entertainment!
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This post has been hilarious! Thank you for the free entertainment!

here here :drinker:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is disgusting.

That is all.

And this is true for the super-sweetened peanut butter wannabe as well as the natural stuff. All gross.
    you must have been dropped on your head repeatedly as a child.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I spread it on my biceps sometimes before I do curls. That way I don't get any of the fat because only protein is absorbed through your skin.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I spread it on my biceps sometimes before I do curls. That way I don't get any of the fat because only protein is absorbed through your skin.

Ohhhhh I'm supposed to spread it on my biceps?? Shoot, I've been using the wrong body part this whole time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Dang it...I'm even later to the party than I thought...nvm...:grumble:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is disgusting.

That is all.

And this is true for the super-sweetened peanut butter wannabe as well as the natural stuff. All gross.

:noway: