Peanut butter is not a protein source!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is disgusting.

That is all.

And this is true for the super-sweetened peanut butter wannabe as well as the natural stuff. All gross.

:noway:

It's the truth.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Well for those that rely on only peanut butter for their main source of protein...... then I think you've done a great job with your op ! job well done !

yes, congratulations OP …you have enlightened .000000001% of the population ….
    If I helped hat much I will consider this a successful thread.:drinker:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I spread it on my biceps sometimes before I do curls. That way I don't get any of the fat because only protein is absorbed through your skin.

Ohhhhh I'm supposed to spread it on my biceps?? Shoot, I've been using the wrong body part this whole time.
    So many issues arise when you apply it incorrectly; I for one am grateful to assist in the spreading across your body for fat and protein intake purposes; oh and science. Yep, these would be the only reasons :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Well for those that rely on only peanut butter for their main source of protein...... then I think you've done a great job with your op ! job well done !

i will go with epic fail….
  • chrystyna01
    Options
    Thanks for the enlightening info? :noway:
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree with OP :)
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?
    Still here, just watching the world burn.:devil:

I would say that is a bit pessimistic...if you think the world will burn because some of us eat peanut butter.
    Love my peanut butter. It's just funny how many people think me saying it is a fat source is somehow a bad thing.

#fatssetto50%crew#

I don't think that people are upset over you saying it is a fat source...that is one reason why I eat it. I struggle to get in all the fat that I need.

I think however...whether you meant to or not...the way your post read was that you were implying that most of us weren't enlightened enough to realize that it is first a fat source and then a protein source.

Many of us have been at this for a while and many of us pay attention to the food that we eat and how it fills our macro/micros....peanut butter and a banana sandwich helps to fill not only my fat, protein, fiber but also my potassium and a few other micros.

I also agree with this... and would like to add, if I want the peanut butter flavor without the fat I go to my PB2

can we discuss bacon now? fat or protein? lol
  • rwrealm
    rwrealm Posts: 4
    Options
    Your post is a little off-putting as it sounds like you are saying that the fat in peanut butter negates the protein. This is just absurd. However, there are many negatives to peanut butter. Read this:

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-peanut-butter-bad-for-you/

If you are trying to lose weight, there is plenty of evidence that a diet low in carbs and higher in protein and fats is usually successful and even though peanut butter has the good types of fats in it, there are also many issues with peanut butter as well. You are better off eating organic almond butter.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats, while also offering a modest amount of vegetable protein. If you tried to meet even 25% of your protein requirements with peanut butter your would be a blimp in no time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your post is a little off-putting as it sounds like you are saying that the fat in peanut butter negates the protein. This is just absurd. <snip>
    I agree with the first part of this post...

it was off putting and I am not a fan of peanut butter...I like it...but I wont waste my calories on it as the protien ratio isn't good enough...

I consider a great source 1g for every 10 calories...

Peanut butter is less than 1/2gram for every 10 calories...

All in all not I think you failed as well and just put people on the defensive...cause you don't screw with Peanut butter.

But that being said it's good food, healthy and helps to get people's calories up if they are having issues ...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I just had a peanut butter truffle brownie. It was delicious. And I still considered the peanut butter a source of protein. Okay, not really.... But did I say it was delicious?
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is disgusting.

That is all.

And this is true for the super-sweetened peanut butter wannabe as well as the natural stuff. All gross.
    *Gasp* blasphemy

I would hang my head in shame...

...if I was in any way wrong about this...

...but I'm not, so I won't.

10633-Come-At-Me-Bro.jpg
    Lmao ok, ok ok pull out a cute baby pic
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

You define success differently than I or most people would.
  • theruby
    theruby Posts: 36
    Options
    Lol. You make me smile. Nuts, including peanuts are used as a protein source by many. Especially vegitarian and vegan. That group of people as well as many others requiring additional caloric sources and macros would benefit and be just fine incorporating peanut butter as an added protein to their diet. If OP assumes there are actually people eating nothing but PB for protein, I direct you back to my original comment. Anything else you can't comprehend, I can't help you with. Have a lovely day! :-)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You are now enlightened.

Or perhaps you recently were, and wanted to share. In which case, thanks?

Something about your last line comes off, however, as "you are now condescended to."

Yup. May your peanut butter ever stick to the roof of your mouth.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Lol. You make me smile. Nuts, including peanuts are used as a protein source by many. Especially vegitarian and vegan. That group of people as well as many others requiring additional caloric sources and macros would benefit and be just fine incorporating peanut butter as an added protein to their diet. If OP assumes there are actually people eating nothing but PB for protein, I direct you back to my original comment. Anything else you can't comprehend, I can't help you with. Have a lovely day! :-)

The OP never said there are people only using peanut butter as their protein, so I'm not sure where you got that idea. She did say it's not a protein source but rather is a fat source. It has more fat than protein and thus is a fat source. In fact a lot of people in this very thread said that no one actually considers it a protein source and that's why the OP's post was silly/didn't make sense.

To call peanut butter or peanuts a protein source when it takes 161-200 calories to get a mere 7 grams is laughable, unless you'd also contend that celery is a protein source (celery, by the way, has more protein per calorie than peanut butter), bread is a protein source, everything with any protein at all is a protein source! Which means the term 'protein source' is meaningless because everything except pure fat/carb is a protein source, even if it has next to no protein.

Is that your argument? That all things are protein sources no matter the protein level? Because if that's what you think I can see why you think the OP is stupid and, likewise, I hope you can understand why I personally am skeptical of your own reasoning skills,
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OP, did you read the INGREDIENTS on the Skippy's label & website ?

SKIPPY "ALL NATURAL" PEANUT BUTTER has
    ADDED SUGAR ie not a healthy choice
    ADDED PALM OIL. ie not a nealthy choice

before the manufacturer can add crappy sugar or oil, they need to REMOVE some healthy peanuts to make room for them.
    there's only so much room in a jar ! lol.
    that's why Skippy's is less expensive than good quality PB. Skyppy's uses cheap fillers !!

would a healthier choice be a brand that is simply peanuts. (and perhaps salt)

http://www.peanutbutter.com/products/skippy_nat_c.html#
    Care to explain how the sugar or palm oil destroys health?

Liftallthepizzas, I never said added sugar or palm oil destroys health. (that's a bit dramatic on your part).
    I said the added addional ingredients aren't a healthy addition. glad we got that cleared up.

Liftallthepizzas, Perhaps this info on 2 added ingredients will be helpful to you......

Added sugar
    Empty calories. Linked to obesity. Linked to type2 diabetes. Linked to imflammation. Linked to increased triglycerides. Linked to tooth decay.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/added-sugar/art-20045328
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/kids-and-sugar/bgp-20056149

Added Palm oil
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned recently that "palm oil is not a healthy substitute for trans-fats" because a government study showed that the saturated fatty acids found in palm oil "are associated with elevated heart-disease risk factors." .
    The World Health Organization came to a similar conclusion
    Of the 13.6 grams of fat in a tablespoon of palm oil, 6.7 grams are saturated. The American Heart Association recommends that you limit the amount of saturated fat you eat to less than 7 percent of your total caloric intake. Doing so can help protect the health of your heart and keep your cholesterol levels low. Palm oil is higher in saturated fat than other types of vegetable oil. For comparison, a tablespoon of canola oil only has 1 gram of saturated fat. The same amount of olive oil has 1.9 grams of saturated fat. Palm oil is better than coconut oil, however, which contains 11.8 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon.

LOL but the non added sugar is fine??????

ndj1979, silly, silly, boy.
    I never said if non added sugar was, or wasn't fine.
    My comments were directed to the ingredients in a jar of Skippy and a jar of PB2. ie had added sugar & added palm oil.

If you're so inclined to eat spoonfuls of 'non-added' sugar & palm oil, be my guest.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    On the other hand peanut butter candy does have more protein than other kinds of candy, but usually more calories also. When I was a teenager I chose peanut butter cups as a snack because at least it had more protein...lol.

So, in conclusion peanut butter has a high calorie to protein ratio, but as an addition to your diet for other tasty fat reasons it will help fill in the gaps of your total protein accumulation.

And...wow 7 pages...I'm late to this peanut butter party.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    I mean. I wouldn't eat it as a protein source (7g for 200 calories? Might as well not have any at all) but I suppose it is technically still a protein source. You know. LIke Spinach. Sure, you'd have to eat so much you might puke to get what I consider a decent amount of protein, but it is there.

For all that it's worth.

Which is very little
    Exactly.

It's a good source of fat and is great when I'm low on calories but I wouldn't say it's a great source of protein.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Type of fat matters too.

Peanut butter has 12 g of poly- and mono-unsaturated fats while having only 3g of saturated fat.

Poly and mono fats reduce LDL cholesterol and symptoms of heart related problems while saturated fats increase the chances for those symptoms.

tumblr_inline_n405h8iioA1rgzdxd.jpg