What to do with the old clothes that no longer fit

Options
So I have gone down two sizes and hesitate to toss out my old stuff. Should I wait one more size or toss them and never look back?

Replies

• LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    If you're hesitating, wait. But don't throw the stuff out when you're ready. Donate it.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Donate the clothes because there is no reason to keep them. Either way too big or too small there is really no reason to keep them around unless they are something you'd wear again. If they are too big there really is no reason to keep them unless you plan on getting bigger again.
  • MeanNurseGM95
    MeanNurseGM95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't ever want to go back to being that big ever again. For the first time in my life I think I can do this but the fear is making me hold back. Donating is a great idea and I will be sure to do that!
  • adelareto
    adelareto Posts: 20
    Options
    I struggle with this one also. About five years ago I dropped down two sizes and felt amazing. Donated all my big clothes. Then I had surgery and let myself gain it all back. Now I am back down to where I was five years ago and am nervous to get rid of them!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Make a huskypants scarecrow for your garden
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Donate the clothes, and itemize your taxes. You will need the money to buy new clothes
  • rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I suggest , you donate tHem,
    Having them in your closet might mean you want to go back to that size again.
    You might just leave 2 of your most fave ones and will serve as a reminder of your previous size.

My two cents.
  • Kep2005
    Kep2005 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went through my closet last weekend and tried on EVERY SINGLE ITEM and got rid of anything that was too big. They didn't look good on me and I damn sure don't want to wear them again so off to Goodwill they went! If I keep the clothes, it's like I'm telling myself that it's ok to fail and that is no longer an option for me!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    No matter how big they are, I keep the clothes until I no longer care about them.

If I give them away while I'm still unsure or scared I might need them again, then that's one more stressor in my head. But if I stumble across them in my closet and they mean nothing to me, then I donate them.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Friends, donation, garbage. Personally speaking, I loved the garbage the best. I made a ceremony out of it. If you want to revisit your old size, there are still stores that sell large sizes. Visit your old size that way. Do not allow fat pants in your house, it is a way to allow to yourself to put on "few, harmless, temporary pounds." The way clothes feel is the best indicator of your fitness, not weight. I am up 12 pounds from my lowest weight and my clothes fit even better. Don't ever allow yourself to feel pinched in your clothes and don't ever allow yourself to wear bigger clothes.:bigsmile:
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    The two things I go between: getting them altered and saving them for maternity clothes. Last year I bought a couple pair of great semi-professional pants in several colors and was very good about only wearing a few out of what I got since then. (Un)fortunately I don't see the need to downsize anytime soon in at my weight and current progress (IME the more weight I carry the less I "travel" between sizes, though soon I need to start wearing a belt :embarassed: ) so I will get a little more use out of them. Wishing I could have worn the other set more gently and donated them but, well, no one is gonna want those now. If I do manage to need new ones anytime soon I am also going to see if I can get the ones I've kept nice taken in. I'm also thinking about pregnancy soon and am sacrificing closet space just in case anything fits then.
  • youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Make quilts or curtains out of the clothing, so you have something to remind yourself of where you were..and how you left it behind.

IMHO
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just went through my whole closet and sorted out the nicer stuff for consignment. Rest will prob go in the garbage or goodwill if it is in good enough shape. I also feel kind of nervous, but a lot of my bigger shirts still fit okay, so if things go awry, ill probably just have to buy some pants. Bought a few new pairs to replace the bigger ones and went down 4 sizes!

It does feel good to clean out that closet. God willing, ill never go back!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    This is not here nor there, but this post reminds of a disastrous weekend about ten years ago. Hubby and I decided to clean out our closets of clothes we would never be skinny enough to wear again. We called it our "Let's be real" weekend. What hopeless fools we were. I did box up some up my favorites which enabled me to go "shopping in my own closet" when I lost enough weight. Today I wear clothes that I was convinced at that time were shrunk in the dryer. Naw, I sat on my *kitten* eating too much while the dryer tumbled.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    this sounds crazy, but keep anything 1 of 2 sizes up from your current size, I have come to believe the body will always add a few more pounds back on after you hit your lowest weight. it's not because of the person, it's like the body finally adjust to the new routine which involves adding a few more lbs. I've seen this happen to almost everyone both on MFP and in my personal life.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I used one of my old skirts as a curtain, then a tablecloth...honest truth

The rest I donated :)
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    I sell mine as car boot sales or Facebook sites. The amount of people who buy them is quite surprising.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Toss them...the OLD you is gone...RIP. You are born again, don't even THINK you will ever go back.

But..keep one pair of shorts and one of your large T-shirts. You can keep them as bragging rights. In a few years, people won't even remember the old you, unless they see pictures, so you can trot these articles out and show them momentos of Xmas past.

Keep going..it only gets BETTER! :)
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    So I have gone down two sizes and hesitate to toss out my old stuff. Should I wait one more size or toss them and never look back?

Donate them! I did before, I try to give them to a cancer group. but regardless donate them!
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Donate them or sell them on a website like Poshmark or Ebay.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!