The weight is coming off *too* fast, and I'm concerned.

Options
I was over 220 lbs last August, the heaviest I've ever been.

In September, I started a second job, as a walking tour guide. Often, I work 14 hour days now, so there's a lot of dining out since I am so seldom at home, but all that walking helped me lose 15 lbs anyway over the course of 6 months without really trying hard, even with an actual increase in calories consumed. My big problem was sugar and artificial sweeteners- I've had a huge sweet tooth my entire life.

A week ago, I weighed 206. On Tuesday, I started using the myfitnesspal app again on my phone to strictly monitor my food intake. I had done so off any on in the past, but this time, things were different. I logged my workouts- the Nordic walking I'd picked up from another tour guide, remembering my squats and lunges from that one time I trained to run/ walked a half marathon. I've begun every day in the last week with a glass of lemon water. I remember to take my vitamins, particularly magnesium.

I don't feel like I'm doing anything extreme. I'm not hungry, and I'm eating pretty normally- the big difference is, this time I've cut out soda, sugary coffee drinks, candy, donuts, etc. And I have been working out- 45 minutes every other day. It's what I can squeeze in to my schedule, you know? It doesn't feel forced or restrictive. I'm consuming anywhere from 1,450-1,990 calories a day (average is about 1,700), and in just one week of working out more and cutting my sugar intake, I've lost 14 lbs.

I was 192 when I stepped on the scale this morning.

Is such a loss that unusual for someone my starting weight and height (I'm 5'9" tall)? I'm figuring that essentially most of it is bloat and water weight; I certainly look and feel less bloated.

I feel like I haven't done anything extreme; I'm by no means starving myself; it simply is the case that a huge percentage of my daily caloric intake previously was sugar.

At the same kind, I'm concerned, because I know 1-2 lbs a week is the benchmark for long-term, maintainable weight loss, and these kind of results absolutely exceed reasonable expectations.

I know that for my height and weight and activity level I ought to be consuming about 2200 calories a day for weight loss but I absolutely cannot fathom how to even consume that much food; I'm eating what is normal for me; it just so happens to be that, again, absent my obscene sugar intake my daily caloric intake from food and stuff (I mean, seriously, I had a breakfast sandwich from Wendy's the other day, and yesterday's breakfast was scrambled eggs with butter, ham, AND heavy cream... I plan to eat lunch at Subway today) is actually well... maybe the caloric intake of a much lighter person?

Should I try to eat more, or continue eating what feels filling and good for me?

And at what point should I expect to see my results peter off? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes when I started last year in January I dropped weight very quickly at first...from 205 down to 185-190 within a couple of weeks...

it slowed down after that.

When I joined here it was at about 1/2lb a week...when I started being accurate with my logging by weighing I had a big jump and consistent 3/4lb weight loss.

I suspect over the next couple of weeks you will see less and less weight coming off and it will even out...could even AMG stop or go up a bit but don't panic...it is your body doing normal things.

It is best to watch week over week trends rather than a short period of time.
  • bnsnwldwmn
    Options
    I don't know if this will be of any help or consolation to you, but when I'm restricting my refined sugar intake, I lose weight much more quickly as well, especially at the beginning.

Maybe don't be too concerned unless it continues at this pace?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Is such a loss that unusual for someone my starting weight and height (I'm 5'9" tall)? I'm figuring that essentially most of it is bloat and water weight; I certainly look and feel less bloated.

This is probably the key part in your loss. I always have a big loss that first week after getting back to a better diet and exercise. You will probably start slowing down in the loss next week.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Theres no such thing as losing weight too fast unless youre over exercising and/or undereating. Just enjoy the weightloss while it last! :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. It's normal when you have a lot of weight to lose for the first few weeks to be fast - enjoy it! Especially if you aren't hungry, just keep doing what you;re doing and enjoy the boost - it will slow down eventually ;)

My first month I think I lost about 15-20 lbs (it was great!) I'd be happy to lose 1 lb a month now!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    water weight, poop ect.

dropping 14 lbs of fat in one week is a 7000 cal daily deficit, which is near impossible