Hate calorie counting.

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You know the funny part about those exact 4 points?

Most of of followed those exact same guidelines for a long time and look where we ended up, Myfitnesspal.

:D

If I followed (2) and (4), I'd just eat 20 bags of McCoy's Salt and Vinegar crisps. Plus about 5 Crunchie bars.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

because I know how much I can eat, on average, to maintain now. That, to me, is priceless. It has nothing to do with what I eat, but how much I can eat to maintain the weight that I've lost. At this point, if I want to lose more, I know how much less I have to eat.

It isn't that your advice is bad, it's just wrong.

My advice wasnt about your reason to count calories. Thats what you made it for some unknown reason (egocentric much? :D).

It was about counting not being essential to look good which is sooooo true its not even discussable :D.
    Your advice was to just eat different types of food to "look better", and you tossed everyone that counts calories into the same boat.
    I'm trying to tell you that it isn't that everyone that counts wants to "get ripped as hell." That's wrong.
    It's also wrong that you can't "look good" without eating different types of food.
    Your advice is ridiculous since the OP only wants to lose weight, not "look good"... whatever that means by your definition.

The problem is, if the OP doesn't know how much they're eating, they may not be able to maintain any loss from this absurd plan.

...but hey, you're new here, I understand how people show up thinking they know everything.

"Absurd plan" do me a favour love.

Calorie counting is NOT the only way to lose weight.

How is my decision to try a different method "absurd".

If one thing is not working for me the surely only an idiot would keep doing it? Or I can look around at what other people have tried and see if that has better results.

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?
    Don't wanna count calories? Okay. Don't.
    People make this decision all the time. Not sure why it warrants a whole thread... Might have been a better idea to make this announcement to your friends list, since you don't welcome disagreeing opinions, especially in the "nutrition" section, rather than in "getting started" or "chit chat"

Pardon me what does my age have to do with it?
    Or is it a personal attack? how mature.

If you noticed every "disagreeing" opinion given I reflected on and then summarised wether it would or would not work for me.

You dedicated a whole thread to a decision that you have already made.
    What would be the point of that?

Well if you dont think it is an appropriate thread or has a "point" then why waste you time commenting?

Countless people at some point decide that calorie counting is no longer something they feel will help them. I posted to hear general thoughts. Pointless or not its still reasonable and useful to hear what other people say as without it I wouldn't of picked up a few good ideas that others have suggested..
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    You know the funny part about those exact 4 points?

Most of of followed those exact same guidelines for a long time and look where we ended up, Myfitnesspal.

:D

If I followed (2) and (4), I'd just eat 20 bags of McCoy's Salt and Vinegar crisps. Plus about 5 Crunchie bars.

I won't lie that may happen a few times lol
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

because I know how much I can eat, on average, to maintain now. That, to me, is priceless. It has nothing to do with what I eat, but how much I can eat to maintain the weight that I've lost. At this point, if I want to lose more, I know how much less I have to eat.

My advice wasnt about your reason to count calories. Thats what you made it for some unknown reason (egocentric much? :D).

It was about counting not being essential to look good which is sooooo true its not even discussable :D.
    Your advice was to just eat different types of food to "look better", and you tossed everyone that counts calories into the same boat.
    I'm trying to tell you that it isn't that everyone that counts wants to "get ripped as hell." That's wrong.
    It's also wrong that you can't "look good" without eating different types of food.
    Your advice is ridiculous since the OP only wants to lose weight, not "look good"... whatever that means by your definition.

The problem is, if the OP doesn't know how much they're eating, they may not be able to maintain any loss from this absurd plan.

...but hey, you're new here, I understand how people show up thinking they know everything.

If one thing is not working for me the surely only an idiot would keep doing it? Or I can look around at what other people have tried and see if that has better results.

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?
    People make this decision all the time. Not sure why it warrants a whole thread... Might have been a better idea to make this announcement to your friends list, since you don't welcome disagreeing opinions, especially in the "nutrition" section, rather than in "getting started" or "chit chat"

I think it is an appropriate topic. Even though I have been successful with my calorie counting and know that it is what works for me I have days where I just can not count another single calorie without pulling my hair out. When I get like that...I stop for the day. The next day...I go back to counting.

I have come to the conclusion that probably I will have to count those blasted calories for the rest of my life to maintain. I don't want to but I will in order to keep the weight off and maintain the health level that I have.

I would assume that the OP and I are not the only ones that have had these thoughts so I don't understand why this topic is not appropriate for this site.

I get frustration.
    Looking for support or motivation? It's a good policy to post in that forum section. Posting in success when you're successful? Sure.
    Post in the "success" section. But to announce her decision? Belongs on her wall.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I think OP has fallen into the yo-yo pattern, to be honest. You've been using MFP for less than 2 months and already looking for the next "thing". You haven't even given MFP a chance to really do anything for you. MFP, although it's mainly for calorie counting, is used for other things too, like looking at your macro nutrients and really making sure you're giving your body proper nutrition. Losing weight is like the added bonus to living/eating healthier. So along those lines, if you're not logging or counting, how do you know you're giving your body adequate nutrition? Intuitive eating certainly didn't do it for me, and I'm pretty sure it didn't do a whole lot for a large number of MFP users.

I get it though, OP, you probably think logging is tedious and you can't be bothered to weigh your food. You want to just pick something up, eat it, and not think of it's effects ever again. I think everyone feels that way a little in the beginning. But you get over it. Logging takes less than 5 minutes a day. Weighing your food, the same. After a while, both become habit and second nature. But it takes longer than the 2 months you've been a member. Stop with yo-yo effect. Pick a method and stick with it. If you really hate calorie counting so much, there's a nifty deactivate account option. But don't expect the results to be the same with your intuitive eating than with MFP.
  • djslickrix
    Options
    I actually enjoy doing it. I log everything the day before for exactly what I'm going to eat to make sure it meets my goals, and on the next day I make sure I eat that exact stuff.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    To OP

It doesn’t get much easier than MFP to track and log daily caloric, nutrient and exercise data. In the beginning I thought documenting my own recipes was burdensome. However “My Recopies” has become easier to deal with. Unless I’m adding a new recipe, I can document my entire day in five minutes or less. So, I’m curious, how long you have been using MFP? It should become easier over time.

Regardless of what changes you are trying to make it will be difficult to do it accidently.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Danger danger Will Robinson!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?

I think it is an appropriate topic. Even though I have been successful with my calorie counting and know that it is what works for me I have days where I just can not count another single calorie without pulling my hair out. When I get like that...I stop for the day. The next day...I go back to counting.

I have come to the conclusion that probably I will have to count those blasted calories for the rest of my life to maintain. I don't want to but I will in order to keep the weight off and maintain the health level that I have.

I would assume that the OP and I are not the only ones that have had these thoughts so I don't understand why this topic is not appropriate for this site.

I get frustration.
    Looking for support or motivation? It's a good policy to post in that forum section. Posting in success when you're successful? Sure.
    Post in the "success" section. But to announce her decision? Belongs on her wall.

Who are you to say what belongs on my wall and what I can ask others to comment on (i.e put in a PUBLIC forum?
    :noway:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?

If you noticed every "disagreeing" opinion given I reflected on and then summarised wether it would or would not work for me.

Well if you dont think it is an appropriate thread or has a "point" then why waste you time commenting?

Countless people at some point decide that calorie counting is no longer something they feel will help them. I posted to hear general thoughts. Pointless or not its still reasonable and useful to hear what other people say as without it I wouldn't of picked up a few good ideas that others have suggested..

Enjoy being offended.
  • alabella
    alabella Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Paul McKenna system is great but it takes a lot more work than you'd expect, because you have to tackle the issues that cause you to eat when you're not hungry. For example, if you eat when you're stressed, you need to find different coping mechanisms for that, which is harder than it sounds. However, it's a good plan and I always lose weight when I do it. :)
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    I think OP has fallen into the yo-yo pattern, to be honest. You've been using MFP for less than 2 months and already looking for the next "thing". You haven't even given MFP a chance to really do anything for you. MFP, although it's mainly for calorie counting, is used for other things too, like looking at your macro nutrients and really making sure you're giving your body proper nutrition. Losing weight is like the added bonus to living/eating healthier. So along those lines, if you're not logging or counting, how do you know you're giving your body adequate nutrition? Intuitive eating certainly didn't do it for me, and I'm pretty sure it didn't do a whole lot for a large number of MFP users.

I get it though, OP, you probably think logging is tedious and you can't be bothered to weigh your food. You want to just pick something up, eat it, and not think of it's effects ever again. I think everyone feels that way a little in the beginning. But you get over it. Logging takes less than 5 minutes a day. Weighing your food, the same. After a while, both become habit and second nature. But it takes longer than the 2 months you've been a member. Stop with yo-yo effect. Pick a method and stick with it. If you really hate calorie counting so much, there's a nifty deactivate account option. But don't expect the results to be the same with your intuitive eating than with MFP.

Thanks for your comments. I have had another account before.
    I guess I just find it fustrating even with the results I have had
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?

Enjoy being offended.

:laugh: I don't generally get offended by teenagers its ok.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    But IMO, losing weight IS about the numbers. Calories in vs calories out. And the only way you can be sure to get the balance right is to add the numbers up.

It can be a little annoying, but honestly, it's just become part of my routine now and I don't even think about it.

Yes calories in vs calories out, correct. I can't hide from that but I am thinking maybe I can control that some other way... which doesnt result in me thinking "oh **** this"
    unless you're a food psychic, you're not gonna know how much you're eating without counting calories...

...and since that is what matters, you just have to decide whether or not you're worth the time and effort to take a few extra minutes to calculate it.

If you're thinking "oh **** this" over counting calories, then you aren't ready to make the changes required to control it. When you're ready, you will.

Sorry I have to disagree with that. I am ready. 7lbs in since 15th of march.

I understand what you are saying but calorie counting isnt the only way to lose weight.
    no, being in a calorie deficit is the way to lose weight.
    if you're losing weight without calories, then you're obviously in a calorie deficit. You're eating less than your TDEE.

That's a good thing.

Problem is, when it slows/stops.. and you come to the forums to ask why...

People are going to ask you the normal set of questions:
    1. how much are you eating
    2. are you weighing measuring
    3. how long have you not lost

etc.

If you aren't weighing, you don't know how much you're eating and everything from that point is guess work.

Yes I guess it will be alot of guess work. Hopefully it will work.
    I read some before and afters from a view people who tried the method which was encouraging

so how about the folks here that have lost hundreds of pounds by just counting calories accurately? I mean, the process has worked for the majority of my friends list. I've dropped 153 lbs by weighing food, counting calories. Others on my list are far above that... and maintaining, because they know how many calories they can eat on average to do so.

Your idea/plan is flawed for maintenance. Once you stop losing, how will you know how much to eat? If you notice a gain, how much will you cut back to lose again.. a steady controlled loss...

that's just it, you don't know.. because without the information, guesswork.

but hey, it's your health. you'll get frustrated with that approach too. "well, last week I only had 1 chicken breast and bla bla, whatever"

Thanks for your comments.

I am thinking I might not get fustrated with this as when I maintained from leaving weight watchers and join MFP it was very easy to maintian, I didnt feel stressed. I just ate normally. Now I have decided I want to lose more weight I have started to get angry/fustrated with this approach. Which is why the paul mckenna idea might just work :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hunger (or lack of) is all controlled by hormones. The hormones fluctuate depending on how much you eat (or not). So just because you are hungry (or not hungry) is NOT and indication of whether or not you are eating the correct amount.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    am thinking I might not get fustrated with this as when I maintained from leaving weight watchers and join MFP it was very easy to maintian, I didnt feel stressed. I just ate normally. Now I have decided I want to lose more weight I have started to get angry/fustrated with this approach. Which is why the paul mckenna idea might just work :)

so- you haven't put the effort into one of the simplest way's to lose and you are getting frustrated??

You did it before- you can do it again. I'm not sure why people get OCD about their food. Food is fuel for your body- eat what you need and be done with it. It's a math equation- either you have your variables wrong- or you just haven't let it do it's due diligence- period. There is no reason to get frustrated.

Relying on hunger pains is a REALLY bad way to feed yourself. I get hungry when it's time to eat- because I'm trained like a pavlov dog- I don't eat like our ancestors ate- lots and when it was available- I ate when I have time in my day- which is typically the same time every day- you can change that- you're body adapts.

I suspect you have no idea what being hungry REALLY means. you are only familiar with the "it's 12 noon- so it's time to eat" hunger.

It is absolutely one of the worst ways to try to regulate you're diet.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    am thinking I might not get fustrated with this as when I maintained from leaving weight watchers and join MFP it was very easy to maintian, I didnt feel stressed. I just ate normally. Now I have decided I want to lose more weight I have started to get angry/fustrated with this approach. Which is why the paul mckenna idea might just work :)

so- you haven't put the effort into one of the simplest way's to lose and you are getting frustrated??

You did it before- you can do it again. I'm not sure why people get OCD about their food. Food is fuel for your body- eat what you need and be done with it. It's a math equation- either you have your variables wrong- or you just haven't let it do it's due diligence- period. There is no reason to get frustrated.

Relying on hunger pains is a REALLY bad way to feed yourself. I get hungry when it's time to eat- because I'm trained like a pavlov dog- I don't eat like our ancestors ate- lots and when it was available- I ate when I have time in my day- which is typically the same time every day- you can change that- you're body adapts.

I suspect you have no idea what being hungry REALLY means. you are only familiar with the "it's 12 noon- so it's time to eat" hunger.

It is absolutely one of the worst ways to try to regulate you're diet.

Where did I say I haven't put effort in?
    Nevermind I have posted into a specific forum for advice on methods without tracking. Thanks anyway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    all I read just there was

>>fingers in ears<<<

la la la la la- I see this but I'm doing what I want anyway regardless- asking a question and ignoring all advice because I am going to do what I want.

which is FINE- you are an adult- you can do whatever you want. you don't need to get approval for it.

But you are just making up excuses for why this didn't work- it's not that hard- I cook at home all the time. still lost and gained weight exactly how I wanted to- methodically and healthy.

if it's too hard- you didn't do it right- or you didn't do it for long enough- what you really are looking for (from these 4 pages I can see) is validation.

its' a calorie counting site... I"m not sure what you expected but I can promise you- validation isn't one of the things you're going to get.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    all I read just there was

>>fingers in ears<<<

la la la la la- I see this but I'm doing what I want anyway regardless- asking a question and ignoring all advice because I am going to do what I want.

which is FINE- you are an adult- you can do whatever you want. you don't need to get approval for it.

But you are just making up excuses for why this didn't work- it's not that hard- I cook at home all the time. still lost and gained weight exactly how I wanted to- methodically and healthy.

if it's too hard- you didn't do it right- or you didn't do it for long enough- what you really are looking for (from these 4 pages I can see) is validation.

its' a calorie counting site... I"m not sure what you expected but I can promise you- validation isn't one of the things you're going to get.

... don't really know what to say to this... other than thanks?. No generally I do appreciate the time you spent giving me advise but yes your right I have decided to do a different method. Not much else to say.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I hate calorie counting. It fustrates me and becomes about the numbers and not about eating well. I end up in a cycle of doing well logging then thinking sodd it and just eating whatever I want.

I have read Paul Mckenna's book "I can make you thin" - I know I know.. but I think I am ready to give it a try. His idea is that you practice these 4 habits;

1. When you are hungry, eat.
    2. Eat what you want (not what you think you "should".)
    3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.
    4. When you are full stop.

Obviously nutrition comes into play but I generally like to eat heathy foods anyway.

I am going to give this a try for a good few weeks and see how I get on.

There is logic in those statements but I have found that counting calories hold me accountable for my decisions and makes me think about what I am choosing to eat. I have had to teach myself what is full, what is it that I really want to eat, am I really hungry or is it something else.

One thing I know is that there is no magic bullet and that changing one's lifestyle is hard. So you, and each of us, has to choose do we stay where we are or do we change. This is a choice that only we can make for ourselves and only ourselves, no one else can do this for us regardless how hard or easy it is.

I have a couple of saying that help me. "Motivation gets you started, habits keep you going." For me this means that it is easy to start something but the enthusiasm will fade and how do you carry on once that happens. The next one, "Being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, Choose your hard." For me this says that you have to work at everything in your life and it is up you to choose what you think is worth working at and only you can make that choice.