Replies

• nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    For outtings I order whatever I like/love, and if the calories for the meal are ridiculous I'll take home left overs, so I have another meal later. (I do this a lot with Chinese food)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things you can do.

You can save up your calories over the week, like just short yourself 150 or so a day and use them there.

Or, like someone else said, eat at home and just go and socialize.

Workout a little longer the next few days.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I really like your thread title, OP.
    Sorry, I'm no help to you, though.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My tactic of choice to avoid letting the new normal tell me how to eat is claiming that the ride or heat knocked out my appetite, then ordering off the kids menu. I get a lot of nods and knowing smiles from waitresses if the contrast is pretty up there.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Eat at home, then join them for a coffee/tea and in restaurant visit. After all it's not like you MADE them go to a salad joint and pre-ordered the bare lettuce for them. If they can't find something greasy and carb laden and sugar filled at Outback's, they have a problem. Don't bother sabotaging your health plans because of them, they will be dead of heart attacks very soon anyhow.
    I hope you realize I'm being ironic... :tongue:

But seriously - the first sentence, as stated by several level headed posters.
  • Heatherybit
    Heatherybit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow, learned a lot from everyone! The tips and tricks really built my confidence to keep my brain on track. My strategic plan going forward:

1. work out more in preparation
    2. thinking Macro in terms of calories..build in deficits throughout the week
    3. think small..appetizers are delicious!
    4. no-clean plate club (To-Go boxes are your friends)
    5. this change in lifestyle is for me and not them, they can eat their words..I'll feast on results!

Thanks everyone!
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would not discount looking anyone who is giving you grief for eating healthier right in the eye and saying, with a raised eyebrow, "now why would you say something like that?" Usually shuts them right up.
  • Tina1737
    Tina1737 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    (throws hands up) THANK YOU! Glad someone said it!
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your family gives you grief over your choices. Even if they don't agree with them (for whatever reason), it's not right to ridicule someone you love.

I love this thread...all great suggestions. I do research for local restaurants before heading out. Most have their menus online, so I'll look through it and make a plan before getting there. With enough lead time (i.e. plans are made more than a day in advance), I can plan my whole day around a somewhat indulgent dinner.

Hope your next gathering is fun and less stressful!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Last weekend while choosing restaurants for a family get together, my family members sounded off various restaurants. I threw out Outback Steakhouse, because I know I can get a 6oz steak and loaded baked potato for 600 calories or less. Of course this suggestion was pitched and Buffalo Wild Wings was selected to my dismay. Looking at the calories..and saturated fat..there really wasn't anything there I could order besides the Naked Tenders, which I will NEVER recommend to anyone. (The taste to price ratio was by far one of the worst out there.) I left there with a stomach ache and was thoroughly disappointed.

Next weekend everyone wants to go to Famous Dave's.

My question is, what do you do when it comes to these situations? If I suggest healthy options, I get glares and ridiculed, but I also don't want to go out and waste $40 on a meal I won't like but I still want to be social.

Any advice would be much appreciated...I'm already feeling anxiety thinking about the coming weekend.
    One meal a week like that shouldnt kill everything you have done. You can find something to eat within your limits no matter where you go.
    If you are going to BW's, and know you are going to eat 1000k calories........supplement that buy skimping the rest of the day.
    There is absolutely NO REASON you cannot go out to a restaurant with friends and family and be able to enjoy what you want.
    Heck..I found that when I do many times I am under my calories for the day as I save up for the dinner. If you are allowed 1200 on your daily plan what is wrong with waiting until that dinner to eat them up??

Another reason why I love the alternate day fasting...days ike this, and holidays, dont faze you one bit...
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to do is it a really healthy & low cal meal at home, then go out and just order a decadent dessert. I love sweets and when your digging into a hot fudge sundae nobody says jack.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    How long do you have prior to going out with the Family? Can you pre-log, plan for the day with a bit of exercise that you wouldn't normally do?

When I'm faced with this, I often roll with the punches. I pre-log or at least pre-plan what I'm going to have. Using B-Dubs as an example since that's where my son wanted to go for his birthday, I had the "naked wings" with my choice of sauce on the side and a salad with dressing on the side instead of the fries but that was mostly due to diagnosed gallstones and having to think about "fat" content. It wasn't bad although it wasn't the boneless wings I wanted. Everyone who was there had appetizers too, which I did have a few fried dill pickle chips (couldn't resist but wasn't anything like I normally would've eaten). This was all pre-planning, learning what they had and going into it knowing what I was getting.

I choose to protein out at Famous Dave's. I focus on the meat I'm getting and then go from there for the sides. Anything is workable unless you honestly don't like the place. If you don't like the place, then it's a matter of saying "No" and explaining that there is nothing there at appeals to you. Again, if I know it's going to be a calorie rich dinner then I also plan ahead with my breakfast and lunch as well as exercise if I can fit it in.

I also am a big fan of the putting half of the food in a to go container at the beginning of the meal. Anybody asks, and it's simple to explain away by saying "I know I can't eat the portion size here and rather than tempt myself to overeat, I'd rather take it home and have it tomorrow for lunch (or dinner)." That is something everyone I know has accepted. It doesn't highlight that I'm logging everything and it doesn't fit into my calories, nor does it offend anybody because I know my limits.

While it's great that you're taking care of yourself through weight loss and healthier lifestyle and as family they really should support your efforts, this is the real world and what should happen isn't always what happens. So as the one getting healthier while they are not, it's up to you to learn to adapt or forgo the time with your family because you're choosing to limit yourself and not adapt. You've been given great ideas. You can do this!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    ..I am huge fan of leftovers when going out.
    Most places, at least in America (and that is 1 reason we are so fat as a society) give you so much food...more than you need in one sitting.
    I prefer to take at least 1/3 home with me. Why stuff myself when I can have two good meals for the same $$$$!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't really get these threads...

There's a buch of options for this type of situation :

Plan your meals accordingly (eat less in the day)
    Make sensible choice that will fit into your calories
    Exercise more to have your meal fit into your calories
    Just enjoy it and don't worry so much about it (really one day over your calories isn't going to hinder your progress that much.

You say they tell you they don't enjoy it because you are being too picky, well all the above should solve that problem
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Order what YOU want and tell them this is what you enjoy - end of story OR Don't go out with them.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Safest thing for me, if they insist on going somewhere like that, is to load up on protein before I go, then I can have a salad or some sort of carb, and be fine.

I also order off the kids meal menu a LOT.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't all the time, I just go and eat. I figure that with special occasions and family nights out account for about 30 days a year. That leaves me 325 days a year to be dedicated. Eh, I just enjoy time with my family.

^ This

Edit for spelling
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of ordering an appetizer as a main. I also love ordering a side salad as a full salad. Finally, you can totally order the high calorie options- just get something that can be reheated and take some of it home.

You can also offer to host more family events.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I just give in and then work out more. That might be the wrong approach though....