HerkMeOff
HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
I know this won't end well..

But whats your thoughts?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want private conversations I had with vendictive exes being used against me to my bosses either...

I agree with Cuban here, slippery slope.

Dudes a turd though.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in on this, even though i don't know a lot about him. I mean, it didn't stop people from voting for Obama. Twice. And that was an important decision.

It would seem to me if you make millions of dollars from the talent of minorities, you shouldn't make racist, disrespectful comments about them. I would think that to be extremely counter productive.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    I don't get how they can ban and fine him....can't he just say F U what are ya gonna do if I don't pay the fine...ban me? lol
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Stiff punishment. But its a good one. I like that they acted so swiftly. However...we best make sure the precidence just set is fair across the board. not just owners but coaches and players...we all know how colorful language in the locker room can be.

Whether he was baited and coerced or not...he still said them and obviously thinks them.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    is he an a-hole? sure, no doubt about it. he has a right to say what he wants IMO, and honestly it probably isn't any more or less racist than some of the things his players have probably said at one point or another.. banishment is a bit Ludacris, though i can see hitting him up with a fine.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    is he an a-hole? sure, no doubt about it. he has a right to say what he wants IMO, and honestly it probably isn't any more or less racist than some of the things his players have probably said at one point or another.. banishment is a bit Ludacris, though i can see hitting him up with a fine.

THIS!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Also, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the (newest) offensive statement was a recorded private conversation with estranged wife. Just to make that clear, it's not like he said anything knowing it was public if I understand everything correctly.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

While he does have the right to say anything he wants, he also has to deal with the consequences.
  • sentaruu
    Options

While he does have the right to say anything he wants, he also has to deal with the consequences.

I agree, hence the fine for misconduct.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong here as I surely don't follow basketball of any kind. Isnt he talking to his girlfriend on the phone asking her not to be bringing her guys around? Isn't one of them interested in buying the team? Isn't that kinda convenient that this happened? I could be wrong but that is what I pieced together from the few stories I was able to sift through. Anyone?
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in on this, even though i don't know a lot about him. I mean, it didn't stop people from voting for Obama. Twice. And that was an important decision.

It would seem to me if you make millions of dollars from the talent of minorities, you shouldn't make racist, disrespectful comments about them. I would think that to be extremely counter productive.

^^^^this!!!
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    And wasn't it a private conversation? He didn't say it publicly correct?
  • sentaruu
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong here as I surely don't follow basketball of any kind. Isnt he talking to his girlfriend on the phone asking her not to be bringing her guys around? Isn't one of them interested in buying the team? Isn't that kinda convenient that this happened? I could be wrong but that is what I pieced together from the few stories I was able to sift through. Anyone?

yeah, private convo that has been completely blown out of proportion. that's the media for you though.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Dude's a turd but the girl is a bigger turd. Also private conversations should have a higher (or in this case lower) bar of privacy.

Also, so far people have said about racists incidents, words do not matter, its what you do that matters...because most bigots would say I am not racist and then be racist in practice. Its the opposite for this guy.

It doesnt make sense what he was saying anyway. I think he was afraid that the woman was going to sleep with one of the black dudes and leave him, so he made up the racist story. Yes he did tell her she could sleep with any black guy, but it was a typical passive aggressive reaction.

Anyway, the bish should be banned from having another relationship.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    So let him stay in the NBA with them full well knowing he's an outspoken racist? Lol, his team then should be all white players because then anyone else of color would be viewed by him as nothing more than a high paid slave. With no respect from the owner, how many players would really want to play there?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Ludacris.gif
  • firfeous
    firfeous Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think fining him is appropriate. Banning him for life? Extreme, maybe the rest of the season? Trying to make him sell the team? Ridiculous.

He's a freakin idiot, but he's entitled to his opinion whether I agree with it or not.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The dude is a dirty old man who cheats on his wife, and apparently quite the racist, so no love loss there. BUT, what he said was a private phone message to his old girlfriend, whom his wife has a lawsuit against, presumably for sleeping with her husband.
    I think the punishment was a bit harsh, for a private conversation.
    This IS very much a slippery slope setting a precedent for losing our freedom of speech.

I mean, if Michael Vick didn't get banned for life, no one should.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I agree, hence the fine for misconduct.

it WOULD be his opinion and none of anybodies business if he had #1 left them as inward opinions BUT MOSTLY because he HAS POWER... THAT is why it is not an issue when players do it... They don't control him, or make any decisions about the team. Its an issue when people who are in power (whether that be by his position as a team owner OR the fact that he is white and male) make statements about people whom they also make decisions for. The Legacy of the White Male Owner in our country has put African Americans on a lower level since the country was founded...
This discussion has been closed.