Paleo or Low Carb?

Options
124»

Replies

• gabbby12345
    gabbby12345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Low Carb or Paleo IIFYM - whatever you choose only works when your metabolism is sound. If you have been a chronic dieter your whole life you may have done some damage to your metabolism. Basically taught your body not to loose weight.
    I was always a believer in eat less move more until i was eating about 900 calories a day and still seeing no weight loss. Get your hormones checked, thyroid checked, maybe give dieting a complete break for a month or two then try again.
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    Low Carb or Paleo IIFYM - whatever you choose only works when your metabolism is sound. If you have been a chronic dieter your whole life you may have done some damage to your metabolism. Basically taught your body not to loose weight.
    I was always a believer in eat less move more until i was eating about 900 calories a day and still seeing no weight loss. Get your hormones checked, thyroid checked, maybe give dieting a complete break for a month or two then try again.

sounds like me.....i just had my thyroid checked TSH levels 1.45....
    damaged metabolism sounds like bad news...i think that's me!
    how do i fix it and what should i expect while i do this...? more gain?
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Low carb is hard unless you really want to follow it accurately. Half assed won't work.
    Paleo is easier, you don't need to be so strict, if you don't want to. I started with it last year. I got about 80% there but there are some non Paleo treatsI am not giving up. Definitely a lot happier and healthier, and it made sticking to my calories much easier. I reccomend you try it but don't try to go all in overnight, take small steps, cutting out a few bad things and adding a few good ones each week. Have a look at my diary of you like. I had cake yesterday but came in on protein and calorie goal.
    For weight loss though there is no substitute for accurate measurement and consistent logging. And keep it up. The less you need to lose the slower it will be. I find prelogging really helps me, though it doesn't suite every one, I have a late shift tomorrow so it's already planned.
    Plus we all fluctuate, especially women. Don't be discouraged. Stick with it. :-)
  • 1reneeski
    1reneeski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Artificial sugars make you crave more I think. Try and eat healthy. Veggies, fruits, lean meats. Try not to
    use a lot of creams, pasta, or bread products. It's hard, but until you get in the grove of losing you have
    to change a few things. Keep a log like everyone said, that way if you lose--you know what you need to
    keep doing, if you don't or if you gain, you can look back and see that maybe you should adjust your
    carbs or sugar, etc. Good luck.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I say log everything. Weigh everything. I bought a scale very recently and I can't believe the difference... My husband is not a fan of the scales but they really give a more accurate picture...

I've said this before, no wonder I'm fat. I'm thinking I've done good and actually I was going way over my calories for the day...

Good luck what ever you choose!
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    I say log everything. Weigh everything. I bought a scale very recently and I can't believe the difference... My husband is not a fan of the scales but they really give a more accurate picture...

I've said this before, no wonder I'm fat. I'm thinking I've done good and actually I was going way over my calories for the day...

Good luck what ever you choose!

thank you. Im going to log everything for a week and see what's going on.
    im thinking paleo is not going to work for me in the long run though, I don't have time to cook and to get everything organic is going to be pricey!....
    im still deciding...
  • mom2jia
    mom2jia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did Paleo in the fall to jumpstart my weight loss and lost 6 lbs. It's so expensive and limited and hard to maintain over a long period of time. Although I still use from things from Paleo, I'm no longer strictly Paleo. I say, stick to calories in vs calories out. Nice and easy and a good variety and it motivates you to workout.
  • AllyBlue77
    AllyBlue77 Posts: 58
    Options
    I did Paleo in the fall to jumpstart my weight loss and lost 6 lbs. It's so expensive and limited and hard to maintain over a long period of time. Although I still use from things from Paleo, I'm no longer strictly Paleo. I say, stick to calories in vs calories out. Nice and easy and a good variety and it motivates you to workout.

yeah i think i decided NOT to go with paleo.....too much
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Be honest with yourself. Even if it is just a small slice of something, those "bites" will add up. You'll get used to logging soon. That's how I lost 20 pounds last year.